Tangy off smell n taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titch10169

Reaction score
Yo geezers just done my first home bre cider from a kit it was the buldog brew strawberry n lime cider kit did all as instructed but as is started fermenting the temp shot up to 28 degrese didnt really worry as it says 30 degrees max on the instructions fermentation was over in about 6 days so left it another 7 then bottled using 1 1/2 carb drops opened one after 2 weeks after been bottled at room temp and got a tangy smell n tasted like an extreamly strong cider n no strawberry or lime taste so left in bottles at room temp for another 2 weeks its now not as bad but still not nice will it eventually sort itself out with time ? And should i leave at room temp or move to a cooler cellar for x ammount of weeks thanks in advance

First of all welcome to the forum.

Whatever the off flavor is, there's always the chance it could clear up with time. Ciders can take quite a bit of time depending on many factors. Were you careful to sanitize everything??

The higher the fermentation temperatures were, the more you have to let the cider rest in order to get rid of the fusel alcohols. I'd say next time, be careful to control the temperature in the first few days, keep it down to the optimal range.

thanks for that guys yeah was carefull with sanitization and cleaning it does tase better than it did ive now moved it to cool in cellar a suppose only time will tell im in no rush now as patients is a virtue lol so fingers crossed thanks again for your comments and help

Latest posts

Back