Talk me into buying a Thermapen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After using several cheapo Ikea digital probes and a digital candy probe, I took the plunge. I'm glad I did it (bought it when it was on sale a couple months ago) It's nice have peace of mind that my temps are finally accurate. Before with the probe on a wire meat style ones I had moisture mess one of them up (all of them eventually, steam will finally get them). when I was heating my mash water it was reading 152 when really it was almost boiling. Totally ruined the grains by the time I realised what was up. Anyway I also use the themapen to monitor the output of my CFC when I'm adjusting cooling and wort flows.

Any comment on this vs the thermapen? have some credit at amazon.com and they are about the same price, but this one adds an infrared thermometer.

Taylor 9306

I wouldn't count on using IR. I researched it a bit thinking it would be an awesome way to avoid actually contacting the mash/kettle/fermentor but from what I read, unless you spend a TON of cash on one, they're accuracy is seriously limited. They're more for judging the temperature of an engine or the top of a griddle where +/- 5 degrees is no big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope nobody gets fooled by the cheap knock-offs. They're cheap because they're not accurate (well, not enough for homebrewing). The Thermapen is by far the most accurate and reliable thermometer you can get for the price. Your most bang for the buck is the Thermapen. Just be careful with the probe tip because it will easily penetrate the skin. ;)

I hope nobody gets fooled by the cheap knock-offs. They're cheap because they're not accurate (well, not enough for homebrewing). The Thermapen is by far the most accurate and reliable thermometer you can get for the price. Your most bang for the buck is the Thermapen.

Unless you buy that pitchfork with a thermometer in the handle, right Nova5? :rolleyes:

_

Just ordered one. I found out my Blichmann brewmometers were being dishonest and had apparently been doing the same with many other people.

mrbobble said:
Just ordered one. I found out my Blichmann brewmometers were being dishonest and had apparently been doing the same with many other people.

Really...I have one to monitor my herms temp. It seems close. Maybe off by a degree or two. How bad was yours?

Back