Taking my system on the road

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ommegosh

Reaction score
Kegging newbie here:

I switched from bottling to a dual keg setup(ball lock cornys) from Keg connection about a month ago and would like to take my system to a party this weekend with the two kegs that are currently hooked up and and have been properly carb'd and served for a few weeks now.

I do not have a handle of how the entire process really works and could use some advice. By turning off the co2 tank and disconnecting everything do I lose my current carb in the kegs, or can I simply move everything separately, hook back up to serving pressure and pick up where I left off? If the latter is the case, is pulling the release valve the only way I can lose my current carb state?

Thank you in advance for any input
J.

I wouldn't be concernced with losing a significant amount of carbonation on a road trip. Just disconnect, and re-connect when you get there.

Just don't release the pressue in the keg, and you'll maintain the same level of carbonation. If you've had these kegs carbonated for a few weeks, they've reached the carbonation level dictated by your CO2 pressure. As long as that pressure is kept the same there will be no change in CO2 concentration. Even if you were to accidently purge a keg of CO2 it would take quite a bit of time for all that CO2 to come out of solution.

+1 on the settle time. Keep it cold. Keep the disconnected lines cold too, or purge them into the dogs bowl before you start pouring.

Sometimes moving them makes the first pint yeasty, do a test taste just before you serve, if they're homebrew virgins (ya don't wanna scare 'em).

Once carbonated, the beer in the keg is just like a bottle of beer. A closed bottle stays carbonated, an open one goes flat. Your kegs are closed, they'll be fine.

Back