Taking my secondary for a car ride

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andypantz13

Reaction score
I've had my barley wine sitting in the secondary since about the end of April. I wasn't planning on bottling it yet, but at the end of the month, my apartment lease is up and I'm moving. So should I bottle the beer prior to moving it, or will it be okay if I move it with me? Its about a 40 minute car ride that it would have to go on. I know I can secure it well, but its going to do a lot of sloshing around I'm sure. Is this going to hurt my beer a lot?

I would put it in a milk crate with a solid rubber stopper or a carboy cap with both caps on and taped down. You'll stir up sediment, but after you get it to you new location, it will settle back down. You'll have to keep an airlock if starts out gassing Co2 from the sloshing.

Personally, I'd go ahead and bottle it. Nothing says you can't let it age in the bottles for a while, I'm not sure how much (if any) of an advantage you get from bulk aging. I'd be more concerned about oxidizing the brew from the inevitable sploshing around that it's going to receive.

I did the ole car ride deal with a secondary a couple months ago when moving into my new house. The beer tasted terrible (note: it tasted pretty good between the primary and secondary). I'd roll with the bottles.

I'd say bottle it too. In addition to the other mentioned reasons it'll be easier to move. And like the bird said it'll further conditioning in the bottle.

I've moved several secondaries and never had a problem. Like Ed said, put a solid stopper in it and just keep it upright. Keep it out of SUNLIGHT!!!!!! Wrap that bastid up in a blanket or something if it is a glass carboy. Just let it sit for a good long while at the new place. There is nothing in there that you can possibly stir up that wasn't in there to start with. You are not introducing oxygen or any other elements, so go for it and have fun!

Back