Taking a sample for hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hi all!
A quick question, which may seem silly, but...
When you take a sample out for hydrometer reading, do you put it back in?
I haven't yet, more for sanitary reasons than anything, and because it's fun to taste it and see how it's coming along.
Just a thought I had about taking hydrometer readings and taking samples.
Thanks

So in theory you could put it back if you sanitation is spot on. The challenge would be do this without being too disruptive to the rest of your product. For me the risk far outweighs the few ounces you lose when doing these checks. If you are really concerned about loses, you could use the tube your hydrometer is stored in if you want to limit these losses.

I brew 1 gallon and will put the sample back into the fermentor most of the time. I would only do this if you have a glass trial jar and impeccable sanitation. I don't worry about stirring up sediment on the way back in, but oxidation is a concern. 5 gallon batches, I don't mind losing a bit to samples.

So in theory you could put it back if you sanitation is spot on. The challenge would be do this without being too disruptive to the rest of your product. For me the risk far outweighs the few ounces you lose when doing these checks. If you are really concerned about loses, you could use the tube your hydrometer is stored in if you want to limit these losses.

That's kinda what I thought.
For the amount of actual loss, it's not worth the risk.

When I take pre boil gravity I may or may not put it back in the brew pot.

Post boil gravity samples never go back in even if I remember to sanitize properly.

Back when I used to take hydrometer readings, I usually returned the sample. Otherwise, the sample seemed wasted, and I dislike wastefulness. I trusted my sanitization, and I was rewarded with 4 oz more finished beer (no infections). Now, I use a few drops on a refractometer. I do NOT return these drops to the fermenter. I don't try to drink them either. Okay, now I'm bummed about my wastefulness of a few drops, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Wait -- I only take OG and FG readings, so my waste is limited to 6 drops. I guess I can live with that.

I always keep it out, taste it and evaluate and what I don't finish, down the drain it goes. Brew day I use a hydrometer but I always taste a sample of the wort. I take enough off when I'm racking to do a hydrometer reading because, well, I like flat warm beer and it gives me a preview of how the beer will be when chilled and carbonated. Not worth the risk of contamination in my opinion, besides I get too much information from tasting it.

I don't even open the fermenter up to take a sample, let alone dump one back in. One FG reading as I am bottling.

Back