Syrupy beer, No hop character. Attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBoogieMan133

Reaction score
Hey Guys/Gals.

I've got an odd question. I recently attempted a 6% basic ipa primarily to use the dregs of the mash to make a dipa starter. The 6% beer tides me over until the dipa is ready usually. So I made the beer exactly as I always do- Clean & Sanitize, filtered water, 151 mash, checked for any stratification, sparged for 6.5 gallons boiled for 1 hour, chill whirlpool & rest, add to carboy through filter then "rock the baby", pitch starter and ferment at 70 degrees. This beer should be 70 ibu's @ 6% so fairly hoppy and with the 151 mash be very drinkable. To avoid this from being too long basically the beer is syrupy as hell even though it got to intended FG. I dry hopped it there is NO indication that I even put any hops in the damned thing. There is a weird almost malty smell though thats not vinegar-esk or off putting so I'm doughting contamination. I literally have no idea what this could be from. I've never had less than very pleasing results with my brewing. I kinda chalked it up to "oh well, a bad batch, it happens." But now my issue is that I just took a reading on my first pumpkin ale of the year and it has the same strange smell so I'm freaking out that its going to end up with the same problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly apprechiated. Thanks!

-Brian

Sounds like some sort of infection if it had happened in 2 batches that used the same equipment. The lack of hops sounds like you either did not boil your hop additions or you did not balance the maltyness and the hoppyness. I am guessing this is a personal recipe.

Pedio will sometimes cause a beer to get 'sick', which is to say, increases the viscosity of the beer for a period of time. This will eventually disappear but by the time it does, the flavor contributions of the pedio will be evident. I would guess a pedio infection if it happened twice in a row. This happened to me once in a hefeweizen and I'm pretty sure it was from a bad batch of yeast. I retired that fermenting bucket after it happened.

pedio sounds like that was it. thank you for the informed and not speculate answer! it has to be the yeast because im crazy with cleaning and sanitizing. the pumpkin beer is fine i was just worried and ive done 2 dipa's and a stout since that are all perfect. i guess i'll keep it too "meh, it happens to us all." and i want to give an extra special thank to purplejeep for being a totally speculate and assume im mentally retarded.

Latest posts

Back