Syrup in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuagmiresChin

Reaction score
I'm trying to add a mix of LME and sugar to my glass carboy primary. I boiled them together and stored the mix in jars to cool down to add today. Now the mix is too thick to pour out. I'll probably heat it up to get it thin enough to pour but it'll probably need to be over 100°. My primary is at 68°.
I have always used the rule of thumb for pitching to be within 10° to not shock/kill the yeast but this will be a +100° 28oz addition to a 68° 5.2 gallon volume.
Thoughts about this or any other ideas to get the mix in the primary?

this method would expose you to potential for oxidation just from moving wort around so much, but you could pull about a half gallon of your beer out and transfer to a vessel (i.e. glass jug or whatever you have that could be sanitized and hold this volume. Then add in your heated syrup, mix slowly, then chill or otherwise allow to cool...then add the beer/syrup mixture back into the fermeneter. Personlly, I don't like the oxidation potential from this and wouldn't be excited to do this myself, but its one strategy. Otherwise you can just lower your fermenter's temperature a 5-10 degrees then add the heated mixture directly to it, the change in temperature from the heated addition should roughly balance it out to the existing temp.

Not too worried about oxidizing it, tonight it will be 3 days since I brewed but the risk is still there. Not sure I understand the idea behind transferring the beer. I may have been a bit confusing in my description. I have my primary with the yeast pitched this last Saturday night, then I have a jar of an LME/sugar mix that is too thick to simply pour.

Another idea is to knife it in like peanut butter but it wouldn't be mixed in at all.

the idea is that what you'd return to your batch of beer would be the syrup properly mixed in with a portion of your beer that is at the same temperature as the beer in your fermenter.

Jeez, just warm the mix in a larger pot with water bath, or, microwave it and pour it in!
Do you think the yeast can't figure it out?
I use gloves, san'ze all outside of bottles, cans, whatever, pour all in, no mix, no stir.
Ingredients sit on bottom of 'boy, yeast find them, get beer.
Too slow? Warm it. Too fast? Cool it.
Only time you need mixing is when every portion of wort/beer MUST be identical, ie, for SG, or carbing.

Sounds good. I'm adding roughly 90oz of this mix in 3 additions so I'm not trying to take all day for each addition.

For a meph clone. Adding the sugars based on the recommendations in the main thread. All is going well so far except I misjudged my boil off rate and have 0.5gal too much. Carboy space is precious now.

Ended up running cool --> warm --> hot water over the glass jar in effort to keep it from shattering knowing the possibility was there. After that, I put it in a pot and filled it with 120° water, let it sit, then dumped and refilled it again when the temp of the water decreased enough. After 3 or 4 refills the syrup was workable and I poured all but approx 1.5oz in of the approx 30.5oz in the jar. The remainder had cooled down from the ambient temperature and became too thick to work with my flimsy dollar store spatula.

1 hour later, krausen went from ~1" thick to ~3" thick. This morning I saw fresh a krausen trail in the blowoff tube. Carboy at 66°. Two more additions to go, then up goes the temp. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back