Syracuse, ny - round 8 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wouldn't be opposed to switching my Willamette to another pound of Columbus if anyone else is interested or if its possible

You have something against poor Willamette? It makes for a great aroma/finishing hop. Great for English style Ales/IPA/Brown/Stout, sub for fuggles or EKG. (Note that it has a different taste than Fuggles.) Many folks talk about Cascade/Willamette combo's, here's one from Yooper: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/willamette-hops-what-brew-267803/index2.html#post3247348. Recipe:
I did a Bell's Amber clone a while back, and I really liked it. The combo of cascades and willamette (already mentioned) is a real winner! Here's the amber clone I did:

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.67 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.4 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

I've made the cream of three crops recipe a couple of times, it's a BMC pleaser but good for us non BMC types and uses Willamette:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Then again, I like Columbus too! (Just made a mostly Columbus IPA last week called "Hope its Ready for Columbus day IPA".) :mug:

Edit: Forgot to say..I am OK with a substitution also (Columbus or whatever). Suprise me. :)

i wouldn't be opposed to switching my Willamette to another pound of Columbus if anyone else is interested or if its possible

I think since we are on a tight timeline, we will just drop this from the order. It would take too much time to get everyone's concurance on a substitution, and we need to get the order shipped asap to get it in by this weekend.

lewdog50 - yeah sorry to confirm Jeff's post. Based on the time frame it makes concurrence, and getting order info straightened very difficult so we will have to drop the willamette. Very sorry to have to do it, but occasionally it does happen. Perhaps they will have it in the next buy. I know they did in the previous.

Thanks for understanding all.

it's ok, i understand. I have nothing against willamette, in fact i love it. its the main hop in my dead deer walking brown i was making this coming sunday. my lhbs still has a bit so i guess i will have to buy it there.

it's ok, i understand. I have nothing against willamette, in fact i love it. its the main hop in my dead deer walking brown i was making this coming sunday. my lhbs still has a bit so i guess i will have to buy it there.

http://www.hopsshack.com/store/HP1341.html

I might order a lb from here, I'll have to check later how much I have at home.

Just an FYI - Looks like the order otherwise is ok for stock. Should be receiving it this week so looks like SAT for pick up is looking on track so far.

jeffb418 said:
http://www.hopsshack.com/store/HP1341.html

I might order a lb from here, I'll have to check later how much I have at home.

That's where I've ordered most of mine. Not sure what they still have in stock, but when I ordered a while back I ended up with 16# or so of stuff because I couldn't resist the prices and justified to myself as "saving on shipping". :)

Hey Gents, the numbers are in (right most is what you paid and left most is the actual):
Please reach out to me via PM or on this thread on how you would like to handle the surplus. You can either tip to the buy workers, or receive a refund. I can't hold the money for you towards the next buy.

Thanks!

CidahMastah $326.61 364
JeffB418 $526.13 606
twogunz $118.93 132
jbsengineer $271.53 301
t-booneyay $128.00 141
Copyright1997 $283.51 318
CBK $129.66 146
bierhaus15 $159.78 176
Bellini88 $163.36 199
Dslocum $241.14 265
BryanJ $199.58 216
dbush20 $119.30 140
lewdog50 $176.52 201
mjap52 $236.04 269
gcdowd $446.14 485
akirch12 $163.97 181
kzhusker $104.16 116
Rubis $94.26 107
r49b $172.16 195
lawle102 $207.01 234
chrispy $107.46 120
brehuh $351.31 380
abrew2u $144.93 161
Teldridge $31.42

Just keep it as a tip, thanks for all the work

Thanks VERY much I will divide it up between the gents. Also a big thanks to gcdowd as well for the extra appreciation :D

I will keep a running update on post one of people I need to hear from on the overages.

Im a gent? bahah

Brewed up a celebration IPA clone tonight using mostly hops from my hop garden. Hope it comes out good! Cheers to harvest ales!

Thanks CBK - much appreciated! Hope your electric rig is still running smooth.

My little control box just keeps doing what it suppose to do. Could not be more pleased. It is perfect for me and my 1 bedroom apartment. Still saving my pennies to get the herms together. At this point all I have is the pot and element. GF lost her job so most of my extra cash is going her way. Cannot wait till she goes back to work so I can finish my brewery. Cheers

My little control box just keeps doing what it suppose to do. Could not be more pleased. It is perfect for me and my 1 bedroom apartment. Still saving my pennies to get the herms together. At this point all I have is the pot and element. GF lost her job so most of my extra cash is going her way. Cannot wait till she goes back to work so I can finish my brewery. Cheers

How are you setting up your herms? I'm thinking of doing something that sounds like this. Get a small cooler or pot with a small heating element installed and control that via PID. Install a copper coil in there and pump the mash through it.

Also thinking of making it so I can double it as a prechiller as well, hence why I'm thinking of using a cooler for it.

You guys rock! :rockin:

I'm still not sure I'm happy with my herms. I dont know if its just meet, but I feel my eff suffers when I use herms vs just letting it soak and mixing 3x an hour. Im not that happy with my false bottom either. I cant run the pump too fast or it gets stuck. Its one of these styles: http://www.allseasonsnashville.com/graphics/false bottom 9 inch.jpg

I'd really like to upgrade to a blingman false bottom in a cheaper kettle. The 15 gal blingman false bottom will fit in this kettle: http://www.homebrewing.org/2-Weld-15-gallon-SS-Brew-Pot_p_2756.html

So for $200 i get a nice SS mash tun.

How are you setting up your herms? I'm thinking of doing something that sounds like this. Get a small cooler or pot with a small heating element installed and control that via PID. Install a copper coil in there and pump the mash through it.

Also thinking of making it so I can double it as a prechiller as well, hence why I'm thinking of using a cooler for it.

I am doing 5 gallon batches on my kitchen table. At this point I am using 2 - 10 gallon Blich's bk & mlt with fb and a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler as an hlt. My goal is to set up my 3rd Blich with an ss herms coil and to utilize 2 pumps one for water the other for wort and to control it via 1 pid. Basically a scaled down Kal system with a simple control box. I am also using Kal's hopstopper and am seriously considering adding an ss hopscreen from stainless brewing. Do not know exacly what you have in mind but this is where I am at.

Keep my extra as a thank you from the Mayfield guys, we appreciate all the hard work!

Anyone want to do a few trades? I would like to try some more styles. I currently have all my beer in carboys but could bottle a few, I have two pumpkins (same wort different yeasts) and a new pale ale recipe my buddy and I threw together. As long as I am not working this week I could get a few into bottles and keg the rest. I am waiting on walmart to clear me for a pharmacist position. Let me know!

Keep my extra as a thank you from the Mayfield guys, we appreciate all the hard work!

Anyone want to do a few trades? I would like to try some more styles. I currently have all my beer in carboys but could bottle a few, I have two pumpkins (same wort different yeasts) and a new pale ale recipe my buddy and I threw together. As long as I am not working this week I could get a few into bottles and keg the rest. I am waiting on walmart to clear me for a pharmacist position. Let me know!

Thank you Mayfield brewers!! :D

good luck with the job

Teldridge - thanks for the extra coin - we appreciate it!

I still need to hear back from a few of you guys:

Copyright1997
bierhaus15
Bellini88
Dslocum
BryanJ
dbush20
lewdog50
mjap52
akirch12
kzhusker
Rubis
r49b
lawle102
chrispy

Change in plans. I will now be making the trip for Buffalo folk. Should be interesting fitting ~ 600# of grain in a Cobalt...

**Edit** Actually, does anyone know if this is actually feasible? Haha.

As stated above - the true issue is the weight, not the volume. I hauled about 1000 lbs back for the Buffalo folks back in round 6 - could've fit twice that much in by space, but was right up against the weight capacity for my wife's Mazda5. And the weight limits are important, hauling too much weight is an easy way to blow up your suspension or lose control of the car. With myself, my daughter and the 1000 lbs of grain, the car felt about as responsive as a tank.

Hmm... just checked... 860 was the capacity. I'm supposed to be picking up 650ish pounds of grain, I weigh about 200, so that's cutting it a bit close. Maybe I'll just take my grandfathers Ranger.... haha

Marcus were you planning on picking up the 2 sacks i ordered for my buddy in Buffalo?

I can do that for ya! Have your buddy shoot me an email: [email protected] I'm also picking up for A2brew and t-booneyay (or whatever their usernames are). I'll be driving back directly after the pickup so he can just pick them up from me any time, or if he's available Saturday around 3-5ish I can drop them off (timing depends on if I stop at Dino BBQ, haha).

Also, what should I be grabbing for him? I want to have a list when I go down so I don't forget anything.

So far I have:
My order: 3 sacks of CM 2 Row, 1 Pilsner, 1 Marris otter. 1 gallon of star san, 2# Aramis, 1# of columbus and cascade.

T-booneyay: .5 CM RYEM, .5 GW C60, .5 CM MUNH, .5 BD-RSTB, .5 GW-DEXT, 1 CM-SPIL

Abrew2U: 1 CM 2 Row, 1 BZ Pils, 1 BZ Wht, 1 BZ VIEN

Can you guys confirm that I have this correct?

lewdog50 and mjap52 - Thanks for the encouragement Very much appreciate your generosity :D

I can do that for ya! Have your buddy shoot me an email: [email protected] I'm also picking up for A2brew and t-booneyay (or whatever their usernames are). I'll be driving back directly after the pickup so he can just pick them up from me any time, or if he's available Saturday around 3-5ish I can drop them off (timing depends on if I stop at Dino BBQ, haha).

Also, what should I be grabbing for him? I want to have a list when I go down so I don't forget anything.

So far I have:
My order: 3 sacks of CM 2 Row, 1 Pilsner, 1 Marris otter. 1 gallon of star san, 2# Aramis, 1# of columbus and cascade.

T-booneyay: .5 CM RYEM, .5 GW C60, .5 CM MUNH, .5 BD-RSTB, .5 GW-DEXT, 1 CM-SPIL

Abrew2U: 1 CM 2 Row, 1 BZ Pils, 1 BZ Wht, 1 BZ VIEN

Can you guys confirm that I have this correct?

I'll have print outs with what each person will be getting. So as long as you have their name thats on the order sheet (forum name usually), just give us that at pickup and we will double check. Also make sure pick up groups are noted on the buy sheet's pickup section. We will note at pickup who is going with what. We don't want to just give your stuff to someone else unless its noted there.

I'll have print outs with what each person will be getting. So as long as you have their name thats on the order sheet (forum name usually), just give us that at pickup and we will double check. Also make sure pick up groups are noted on the buy sheet's pickup section. We will note at pickup who is going with what. We don't want to just give your stuff to someone else unless its noted there.

Ahh, okay, well that makes life easier! I guess the only thing is that, from what I understand, Bryan is having 2 sacks from his order go to his friend in Buffalo.

We don't want to just give your stuff to someone else unless its noted there.

This is key and those picking up for others should note the above.

We don't want to release grain to anyone but the individual who bought it. Unless we know about a shared ride situation prior to the buy grain will not be released. This protects against a walk off of someone's grain. Though I doubt it would ever happen, it is a check and balance system that is good to have.

Moral of the story here is, if you are picking up for other people you need to communicate this via the sheet, or to Jeff and Rob prior to pick up. Or you risk them not releasing another person's grain to you.

This is key and those picking up for others should note the above.

We don't want to release grain to anyone but the individual who bought it. Unless we know about a shared ride situation prior to the buy grain will not be released. This protects against a walk off of someone's grain. Though I doubt it would ever happen, it is a check and balance system that is good to have.

Moral of the story here is, if you are picking up for other people you need to communicate this via the sheet, or to Jeff and Rob prior to pick up. Or you risk them not releasing another person's grain to you.

Sounds good. So Bryan, can you confirm with Cidah/Jeff that I will be picking up a portion of your order and bringing it to the 716? Sorry for causing all the confusion! :eek:

Sounds good. So Bryan, can you confirm with Cidah/Jeff that I will be picking up a portion of your order and bringing it to the 716? Sorry for causing all the confusion! :eek:

No need to apologize my friend :D I just thought I should say it loud and proud so everyone is reminded of that fact :mug: So not directed solely at you.

Please add my overages to the pot. Sorry for being unresponsive the last few days, I was sent out of town for work and have't had much time to look at the thread.

Marcus- It was my fault for not getting you up to date on Bryan's bags as well, that falls on me. Are we all set now?

Just heard from NCM that the Grain is being dropped at the location today!!

So looks like we are on schedule for SAT

If possible please let me know how you would like to handle any overages you have ASAP so I can split out tips with Rob and Jeff when we do the grain sort.

I NEED TO HEAR FROM EACH PERSON ON THIS LIST:

Copyright1997
bierhaus15
Bellini88
Dslocum
BryanJ
dbush20
lewdog50
mjap52
akirch12
kzhusker
Rubis
r49b
lawle102
chrispy

Thanks!

(t-booneyay - thanks for the tip!)

Just heard from NCM that the Grain is being dropped at the location today!!

So looks like we are on schedule for SAT

If possible please let me know how you would like to handle any overages you have ASAP so I can split out tips with Rob and Jeff when we do the grain sort.

I NEED TO HEAR FROM EACH PERSON ON THIS LIST:

Copyright1997
bierhaus15
Bellini88
Dslocum
BryanJ
dbush20
lewdog50
mjap52
akirch12
kzhusker
Rubis
r49b
lawle102
chrispy

Thanks!

(t-booneyay - thanks for the tip!)

For the third time, KEEP MY MONEY!!! Damn, it's like you guys hate money...

Just playin' of course:D

Travis, no worries, any idea when you'll be back in town to get your grains? Just curious when I should be expecting you, no rush! And we should be all set once Bryan confirms with Jeff/Keith that I'll be picking up part of his order.

Back