Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - impressive fill up.

For the Magnum hops - I put in for 2 lbs to help fill it. I'm happy to take both pounds, but if someone was looking for a pound, I can let it go too.

-Weston

westo2 said:
Wow - impressive fill up.

For the Magnum hops - I put in for 2 lbs to help fill it. I'm happy to take both pounds, but if someone was looking for a pound, I can let it go too.

-Weston

I have grabbed some magnum already - but if others have bought more hops than they think they needed to close out some hops I may be interested. Post or PM if interested.

I have grabbed some magnum already - but if others have bought more hops than they think they needed to close out some hops I may be interested. Post or PM if interested.

Same here. If anyone has purchased more cascade or centennial than what they need or want, let me know, especially if the newest hop splits in these don't close!

Yeah I noticed we lost 2 bags. The closer to 122 we get the better prices we all will get on shipping so keep pushing to get there.

Keep in mind (new buyers in particular), with more grain you WILL brew more often. Next buy will be at earliest in 4 months so be sure you stock up.

I would still love to close the Styrian split, but not sure if it will happen. If not I will have to be consoled with my 19lbs of hops!!!

Keep in mind (new buyers in particular), with more grain you WILL brew more often. Next buy will be at earliest in 4 months so be sure you stock up.
+1 to this.

Since the first group buy I participated in (last August I think), I've done 25 all grain batches (almost all 5 gallons). Figuring a 12# grain bill on average, that's 300# of grain. I've also provided grains to a couple of friends for a few batches (who are buying 4 sacks of 2-row as part of my order).

I currently have 2 kegs in my keezer, one ready to keg, and three batches in my fermentation chamber. I will brew again as soon as I can move one of the batches out of the fermentation chamber (aka old refrigerator), probably sometime this weekend.

In other words, it goes quickly, and once you are used to having inexpensive grains, it makes going to the LHBS for things you should have bought an annoying proposition. (I do buy things from them, just not base grains or the "normal" specialty grains, e.g. crystal xx.)

also added a styrian golding hops

really hoping to have you guys help close the centennial and the cascade!! come on guys!!

also added a styrian golding hops

really hoping to have you guys help close the centennial and the cascade!! come on guys!!

How much of the Centennial Type are you looking for? Here's my thought:
I have 3 of the Centennial TYpe, 2 in split # 7 and 1 in split #17. You take 2 of them, dmark50 takes the other one.

I also have 4 cascade, 2 in split #6, and 2 in split #18. You take 2 of them, dmark50 takes 1 of them, that leaves 1 remaining. You or dmark50 (or someone else quickly) takes it to keep that split full.

Me, I take a full 11# bag of cascade (in place of the now empty split 21). :)

So, the commitment I need is that someone take that 1# cascade, as I will have 11# and that is enough! :ban:

I have 3 of the Centennial TYpe, 2 in split # 7 and 1 in split #17. You take 2 of them, dmark50 takes the other one.

I also have 4 cascade, 2 in split #6, and 2 in split #18. You take 2 of them, dmark50 takes 1 of them, that leaves 1 remaining. You or dmark50 (or someone else quickly) takes it to keep that split full.

So, the commitment I need is that someone take that 1# cascade, as I will have 11# and that is enough! :ban:

I like this idea! Mainly since we wont have to split it =) :ban:

i will take the 2 lbs of centennial, and give me 3 lbs of the cascade. 1 lb each to dmark50.

SOLD!! and a BIG thank you!! :mug:

brian4508 said:
i will take the 2 lbs of centennial, and give me 3 lbs of the cascade. 1 lb each to dmark50.

SOLD!! and a BIG thank you!! :mug:

Jeff or copyright, can you make this change so I don't screw it up? I'm on my phone and the switch is a pain!

Added a new split:

Caramel Munich 60 (FB-C60). From my understanding it will give you a more caramel flavor over standard crystal 60 since the base malt used is munich and not 2-row.

From the catalog:
These malts are highly modified, caramelized and slightly roasted and are especially well suited to beers requiring
additional caramel malt flavor and color.

I've been using Caramunich III in my oktoberfest, but ran out of it. Figured this would be a good sub.

Any comments to support my reasoning?

How are the Location Pick up groups working out? I would be part of the Rochester contingent and see that jdowling is the driver so how do I add my order to that list? I have ordered 5 bags so that may be a lot to ask of them?

So I just saw the PM for this. Based on earlier in the thread it sounded like my hatch back can't fit too many bags and I'm up to 8 myself.

I think some other guys had trucks who offered they could pick up. I don't mind cramming some extra bags in my car but I'm not sure if I could fit 13.

Anyone have solid info on how many bags you can cram into a subaru outback hatchback?

So I just saw the PM for this. Based on earlier in the thread it sounded like my hatch back can't fit too many bags and I'm up to 8 myself.

I think some other guys had trucks who offered they could pick up. I don't mind cramming some extra bags in my car but I'm not sure if I could fit 13.

Anyone have solid info on how many bags you can cram into a subaru outback hatchback?

In my experience, it becomes less about the volumetric space and more about the weight. I got about 1000 lbs into my mazda5 on the last buy with volume to spare (could have fit 1500 lbs+) but I was right up against the weight capacity of the car when including myself and my daughter. The mazda5 is slighty larger than the outback, but I would check your weight capacities first.

On my last buy, I had 8+ sacks in my Subaru Outback Wagon, plus my child plus a couple overnight bags. I didn't have to panic/go crazy to get everything in, but the car did ride a bit heavier. This time I have to get 12 in. Things will be very tight.

Missed out on that cascade! Darn. But in the spirit of gluttany, i grabbed a lb of willamette and another lb of warrior. Still up for cascade (or other varieties that i dont have yet).

Missed out on that cascade! Darn. But in the spirit of gluttany, i grabbed a lb of willamette and another lb of warrior. Still up for cascade (or other varieties that i dont have yet).

Sorry, but i took the 3rd lb of cascade from copyright to keep the order closed.

Ordered 5 Full Sacks
CM-SPIL 1
CM-2ROW 2
BD-MOPA 1
BD-PALE 1

Racin_NY, your additions put us over the limit of 122 bags. We can do two things. Go with 124 bags and see if they can fit everything, or remove 2 bags. They might be able to get all 5 bags on but cant guarantee it. If not, they you will have to drop some bags since you were the last one to add before reaching the max.

GRAIN & CHEMICALS ARE CLOSED
Please do not add any more bags to the sheet, we have reached our item limit!

HOPS ARE OPEN
Only add to the 4 open splits.

Racin_NY says to drop BD-MOPA and the BD-PALE if we can't fit all 124 items on 3 pallets since he was the last to add (and exceeded the safety limit of 122 items).

Star-san split didn't close before we reached the limit, so this will not be ordered.

On my last buy, I had 8+ sacks in my Subaru Outback Wagon, plus my child plus a couple overnight bags. I didn't have to panic/go crazy to get everything in, but the car did ride a bit heavier. This time I have to get 12 in. Things will be very tight.

Alright, since I upped my grain bag count maybe I should only count on hauling my own then :x.

Jeff/racin - I'd be cool dropping one of the bags of 2row I added if you want. In part I was adding them to help fill the order. I was also thinking only 1 bag of 2row with all the other bags I might run out of that one quicker. I'm sure I'd be fine with 2 instead of 3 though :).

Alright, since I upped my grain bag count maybe I should only count on hauling my own then :x.

Jeff/racin - I'd be cool dropping one of the bags of 2row I added if you want. In part I was adding them to help fill the order. I was also thinking only 1 bag of 2row with all the other bags I might run out of that one quicker. I'm sure I'd be fine with 2 instead of 3 though :).

Thanks for stepping up. For now lets lock in with what we got and go ahead with that for the order. If we have to remove bags, we can pull one of yours to make it all fit. Also that helps out racin_ny if we do get hit with over capacity.

Is that ok with you?

Removal list (in order) if over capacity of 3 pallets:
jdowling - 1 CM-2ROW
racin_ny - 1 BD-MOPABD, 1 PALE

In addition, I think since we reached our main item limit we should close the hops section by the end of tomorrow so we can fully lock down the sheet from editing.

HOP SPLITS: OPEN UNTIL 5PM 5/9

Thanks for stepping up. For now lets lock in with what we got and go ahead with that for the order. If we have to remove bags, we can pull one of yours to make it all fit. Also that helps out racin_ny since he would only lose 1 bag.

Is that ok with you?

Removal List (in order) if over capacity of 3 pallets:
jdowling - 1 CM-2ROW

Works for me.

Also, I just added 2 lbs Willamette. Read it's good in dark beers & I'm a fan of those ;). Up to 8 out of 11 on that one.

In addition, I think since we reached our main item limit we should close the hops section by the end of tomorrow so we can fully lock down the sheet from editing.

HOP SPLITS: OPEN UNTIL 5PM 5/9

Added a couple more # of Columbus.
Come on folks, Columbus is great for IPA's :)

Jeff, I'm still trying to decide exactly how I want my current full sacks to be allocated. I took an inventory last night, still can't decide. I will PM you when I figure it out.

My current inventory at homeis:
1 sack Vienna
1 sack TF Golden Promise
1 sack TF Maris Otter
2 sacks Briess 2-row
1 sack CM 2-row (So, a total of 3 sacks 2-row, have used 2 sacks since last buy. Ordering 6 + 1 organic = 7. But 4 of those are for friends, leaves 3 sacks for me.)

In buckets & Bins
Aprox. 30# TF Maris Otter + 25.5# sealed in bins, so about 1 sack
FB Dark Munich - about 15-16#
TF Optic - about 18# (haven't used yet from last buy)
Flaked Rice - 15-20# (have only used a couple #)
BZ Spelt - haven't yet used from last buy, about 13#
About 15# Pilsen (sealed bags) - ordering 2 sacks this buy
BZ-SMOK - (smoked) 13# (haven't used any since last buy)
Flaked corn - 10# (ordering 1/2 sack this buy)
Flaked Wheat - 13#
GB-Honey malt - 12# - used 1#, plan on using it more
GW-C15 12#
CW-C40 14#
CW-C60 11# - seem to be using this, have 1/3 sack in this buy
GW-C120 12.85#
GW-150 12#
Pale chocolate 4+# (but a little goes a long way with my beer styles)
Aromatic - 13# - Need some recipe suggestions for this
TF-AMBER 12#
carapils 12# - ordering 1/3 sack on this buy
CM-Wheat 16# - ordering 1/2 sack on this buy
CM-RYE 19# - haven't used any, need to do a rye beer
Munich (light) 11# - Ordering a sack this buy

Since the last buy, my biggest uses have been:
3 sacks of 2-row
1 sack of Maris Otter

Hmm, should I keep as is or switch one of the 2-row to another MO, or something else? I hate these kinds of decisions!

In the spirit of cooperation (and because I have the highest bill), I'm willing to drop one of my CM-2ROW's in order for Racin_NY to get his 5 bag order done.

Jeff, that would make your order of removal:
jdowling - 1 CM-2ROW
copyright1997 - 1 CM-2ROW

or
jdowling - 1 CM-2ROW

Guys:
Columbus is only $5.76/# SHIPPED
Willamette is only $6.25/# SHIPPED
Styrian Golding is only $7.15/# SHIPPED

How could you *not* want MORE!

jdowling said:

Subaru's can handle anything you throw at them! Lol! That being said, I added my name to the Roch list. I only have a max of 11# hops and I think 1 grain split. Hope I can tag along with you guys. I have an explorer but can't commit to driving with my ever changing work schedule. I may be able to in a pinch but won't know until closer to the date.

In the spirit of cooperation (and because I have the highest bill), I'm willing to drop one of my CM-2ROW's in order for Racin_NY to get his 5 bag order done.

Jeff, that would make your order of removal:
jdowling - 1 CM-2ROW

or
jdowling - 1 CM-2ROW

Guys:
Columbus is only $5.76/# SHIPPED
Willamette is only $6.25/# SHIPPED
Styrian Golding is only $7.15/# SHIPPED

How could you *not* want MORE!

Thanks for the decency copyright. We will see how it all plays out but I was actually planning on trying to help out with a bag or so as well so the new guys could stock up. I will keep that list on hand for now and when I order I will try to make it work out the best I can for the group.

Glad that we closed up the grain and have a full order to submit!

After you guys wrap up your extra hop additions, please get those payments sent out. Thanks!

Final hop splits:
HU-90WLT Willamette 9 - Needs 2
HU-90CLM Columbus 4 - Needs 7
HU-90WAR Warrior 8 - Needs 3
HU‐90STG Styrian Golding 6 - Needs 5

Last call on these splits! Jump on these by 5 pm today or they will not be ordered.

Added 1# to willamette myself.

Is someone going to delete the star san split? I think it's factoring into my total owed.

I can do that.

Everyone, please don't send deposits until we give everyone the clear that the estimates are correct.

I'm planning on going through them tonight while I'm brewing to make sure they are accounted correctly. If people could double check today themselves that would help too! Doesn't have to be perfect, just as long as it at-least covers the order.

Also the donations section at the very bottom is still open if anyone wants to throw a few bucks at the organizers as well. Just enter a $ amount on your col and it will put it against your tab. Not required but its nice. Alot of people from the last round put their refund from the deposit towards the donation pool as well (which was very appreciated). If you want to do this, let Cidah know when he posts the refund totals in a few weeks.

I have lb and a half of willy on hand so I can't jump up for another of those but I did double up on styrian goldings.

Back