Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We still got like 3 months before this buy goes in :) I'm sure it will fill up.

Haha - I am just sipping some celebration ale and thinking what could be :D

copyright - the celebration version show down is coming up soon, trying to get my buddy in on a blind test.

Alright, bed time...

Is anyone in the southern tier NY going in on this group buy that would be willing to pick up an order with theirs in syracuse for a fee? Please PM me if willing. Thanks!

Herms/Immersion Chiller builders

Hey all. I know many people are faced with the choice of copper or stainless for the coil they are using on their eherms, or even for a immersion chiller coil. Anyway, wanted to let you guys know I just made a trip over to tractor supply and home depot and picked up the parts to build a bending jig for as per V-Twin's instructions. I am about $70 or so in the hole for the jig so far, we will see if I can make it work on that.

So why am I telling you this? This bender jig should work equally well for stainless herms coils and immersion chillers. Pending I am able to produce a good uniform bend with this jig, you all will know someone in the Syracuse area who has this jig for borrow. If you are in the midst of a build and might want to use the rig, perhaps for a nominal fee you could borrow it and help me recoup some of the cost to build it. That means that you will be able to build a stainless IC, or Herms coil for about the same cost as copper since you only would toss in a small fraction of the cost of the bending jig. :D :mug:

I plan on using this to do a stainless coil for our eherms as well as re-bending our immersion chiller to be wider in diameter (our pots have a wider diameter now since our upgrade so now I would like to broaden our chiller's diameter so it is more out of the way).

Let me know if you do have interest.

I'm in Elmira if you can pick up at my place I'll grab it for you.

I have no issue picking up in Elmira or somewhere around there. Ill put in my order once my buddy gets back to me on what he wants and let you know. Thanks.

Looks like your PM inbox is full, so if you need any information shoot me one.

dbennett78 said:
I have no issue picking up in Elmira or somewhere around there. Ill put in my order once my buddy gets back to me on what he wants and let you know. Thanks.

Looks like your PM inbox is full, so if you need any information shoot me one.

All cleared out! Shoot me a message if you need anything!

Cidah, I'm not sure if I read this but if we get this hop buy to go through will it ship at the same time as the grain? Or before?

Herms/Immersion Chiller builders

Hey all. I know many people are faced with the choice of copper or stainless for the coil they are using on their eherms, or even for a immersion chiller coil. Anyway, wanted to let you guys know I just made a trip over to tractor supply and home depot and picked up the parts to build a bending jig for as per V-Twin's instructions. I am about $70 or so in the hole for the jig so far, we will see if I can make it work on that.

So why am I telling you this? This bender jig should work equally well for stainless herms coils and immersion chillers. Pending I am able to produce a good uniform bend with this jig, you all will know someone in the Syracuse area who has this jig for borrow. If you are in the midst of a build and might want to use the rig, perhaps for a nominal fee you could borrow it and help me recoup some of the cost to build it. That means that you will be able to build a stainless IC, or Herms coil for about the same cost as copper since you only would toss in a small fraction of the cost of the bending jig. :D :mug:

I plan on using this to do a stainless coil for our eherms as well as re-bending our immersion chiller to be wider in diameter (our pots have a wider diameter now since our upgrade so now I would like to broaden our chiller's diameter so it is more out of the way).

Let me know if you do have interest.

How about I send you a SS coil and you send it back to me completed? :)

Built the bender rig last night. Now we are collecting the last parts of hardware (including the coil) and will let you guys know how it turns out!

Just added a sack of wheat.

Looking to get into some hefes? I know I am going to be on a tear with them for a bit, trying to perfect one that has that FK nuance. Best parts of hefes is... quick from grain to glass (7-10 days usually) and low cost to brew. Although I really liked the blood orange hefe (sub in any orange) and I am sure the cost of those oranges add to the cost quite a bit. Currently planning a pyramid brewing company styled hefe with a decoction.

Currently planning a pyramid brewing company styled hefe with a decoction.

I just picked up a vial of the American Hefe (wlp320) yeast to make the same type of thing. Never used it before, though I do know it is actually a type of Altbier yeast from Widmer. Apparently it ferments well down into the low 60's if you want less character. One thing I was thinking of doing differently is to sub the wheat malt for flaked wheat. The flaked wheat adds more body and mouthfeel (almost creamy) than a standard wheat malt. Might add a bit of munich to get the color up just a tad.

I'm not a huge fan of banana-y hefes, so this yeast looks like a good fit.

I just picked up a vial of the American Hefe (wlp320) yeast to make the same type of thing. Never used it before, though I do know it is actually a type of Altbier yeast from Widmer. Apparently it ferments well down into the low 60's if you want less character. One thing I was thinking of doing differently is to sub the wheat malt for flaked wheat. The flaked wheat adds more body and mouthfeel (almost creamy) than a standard wheat malt. Might add a bit of munich to get the color up just a tad.

I'm not a huge fan of banana-y hefes, so this yeast looks like a good fit.

you know me, and have read a bunch of my posts on hefes, still in search of finding the perfect hefe recipe for sure. Maybe I will try flaked wheat in an up and coming brew. I plan on cranking out several batches using several variations. IMO I think an outstanding hefe is a requirement for HBers. Sadly I have good versions, but not fantastic IMO. I think for me some of it is the hardness of my water. But I would love to reproduce a franciskanner dunkel in particular, regular hefe, or an ayinger bavarian hefe is pretty good too.

Let me know how your experiment turns out.

However beers that ask for soft water at my house will be far and few between in brewing I am afraind. Unless someone has a cheap water softener/filtering solution. haha

CBK almost forgot to tell you again. We served a bunch of your scottish ale wee heavy recipe at a recent get together. It was a hit. Women and men alike really loved it. We destroyed it. Thanks again. Next time I am considering trying your recipe with golden promise - we will see if I chicken out and do a straight rebrew :D

Yesterday I brewed a recipe for an american wheat that I found here on HBT. It's got me really wanting to brew some more wheat beers but I'm not a real big fan of the banana and clove character you get with a traditional Hefe. Bierhaus could you please let me know how the wlp320 works out for you?

just threw myself in for a pound of warrior and a second pound of cascade to close that.

Cidah, I would also be willing to open a split for amarillo, crystal, and simcoe if they are available?

just threw myself in for a pound of warrior and a second pound of cascade to close that.

Cidah, I would also be willing to open a split for amarillo, crystal, and simcoe if they are available?

Awesome!!

So we are at least ordering cascade :D

I should say that from time to time they run out of hop varieties. So what we will do is when we place the order we will do back up hops for a given variety or decide to bail based on availability. For example warrior is supposed to be a great replacement for magnum, etc.

Keep the hop orders coming in guys, they last forever in the freezer, mason jars or mylar bags!

Yes keep the orders up! I just caught **** from my fiance for ordering a new food sealer. It didn't help that my reason for ordering it was hops that we MIGHT get!

CidahMastah said:
you know me, and have read a bunch of my posts on hefes, still in search of finding the perfect hefe recipe for sure. Maybe I will try flaked wheat in an up and coming brew. I plan on cranking out several batches using several variations. IMO I think an outstanding hefe is a requirement for HBers. Sadly I have good versions, but not fantastic IMO. I think for me some of it is the hardness of my water. But I would love to reproduce a franciskanner dunkel in particular, regular hefe, or an ayinger bavarian hefe is pretty good too.

Let me know how your experiment turns out.

However beers that ask for soft water at my house will be far and few between in brewing I am afraind. Unless someone has a cheap water softener/filtering solution. haha

The Ayinger dunkleweizen is my "white whale" of home brewing. Obsessed with finding it, brewing it, and mastering it.

the Franziskaner has a special place in my heart too; I'll always remember the first time I tried one (now more than a decade ago). It really changed my idea of what the word "beer" even meant.

The Ayinger dunkleweizen is my "white whale" of home brewing. Obsessed with finding it, brewing it, and mastering it.

the Franziskaner has a special place in my heart too; I'll always remember the first time I tried one (now more than a decade ago). It really changed my idea of what the word "beer" even meant.

I take it you have tried the FK dunkel? I haven't tried aynger's dunkel, but i bet it is very solid based on the bavarian hefe.

The white whale analogy works well on this one. Hefe's are a brew I don't feel I have perfected or even excelled at. and I have tried brewing them with temp control, etc. I do think hard water is one of my issues. I plan to dial the hops down big time for my next straight hefe attempt. I think my water accentuates the hops and in the past I have tended to go on the max IBU side of things for the style.

Have you read Brewing With Wheat by Hieronymus, Cidah? I just came away from that book with the idea that it'd be tough to "clone" the German Hefe commercial process. Top-cropping over multiple generations might be what gives the beer it's unique characteristics, but it's a bit beyond my means at the moment. I like wheat beers, but i don't really need like eight batches worth. And forget about the open fermentation tanks some of those brewers use!

But hey, both Jamil and Gordon Strong seem to swear by a straightforward fermentation at 62 F for hefes, so maybe I'm just over-thinking this...

I'm also a huge fan of the Franziskaner Dunkel. If you do manage to perfect a recipe, let me know!

let's hope for all our sake I, or you guys figure it out! haha. I always hear people say they get a ton of banana ester in their hefe, yet I have not tried ANY homebrew hefe that has that nuance like in a commercial hefe like ayinger or FK. Ommegang is able to get some of that nuance, but lot's of other places that are NY based have started making hefes or dunkels and they taste like mine do. Malty bready with some tartness, no significant banana/vanilla ish ester.

Oh well, guess we will have to wait and see. Expect at least 4-5 hefes from me over the summer. This one irks me! haha

Current plans are to do a batch that:
1. uses distilled or softer water than my own.
2. Shoot for the lower hop range.

I have done temp control in the 62F, 65F 68F, 72F ranges for my hefes last year. Played with pitching rates. Still haven't nailed it!

my well water is very similar to the dublin style water. When I brew wits I get a similar accentuated hop character and I really do think that my water is the culprit. Sadly. Here is a thread I started in effort to see if people out there were having great luck with this.

I guess it is good to have a brewing project.

I guess I'm all alone, hefe's aren't my thing. I particularly dislike those heavy in banana and clove and prefer American versions.

I can't wait to try my first Witte I brewed about 2 weeks ago and will keg this coming weekend.

Think I might brew up a brown ale tonight.

I'm upgrading my false bottom from a 9" ss fb, to a 12" ss fb. Anyone interested in my 9" one? $15 and its yours if you are in the Syracuse area.

Back