Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And which BJs is "by you"? :) I use propane and typically fill at the BJs on Bridge St. I used to work right by it but am still not too far.

And which BJs is "by you"? :) I use propane and typically fill at the BJs on Bridge St. I used to work right by it but am still not too far.

The one at Great Northern Mall in Clay. I don't think they fix prices across the region due to different suppliers. I went to the driving range down near Bville that does fills for like $10.99, but after getting a tank filled there twice it didn't seem like it was filled completely. I never weighed it, but seemed like I blew through those tanks faster then normal. Might just be me though.

Also brewing up Denny's Rye IPA tomorrow for the first time. I have American Ale on the stir plate going. Was gonna use Denny's 50 but couldnt justify running down to the LHS just for yeast when I have a few jars of 1056 from a previous batch.

The one at Great Northern Mall in Clay. I don't think they fix prices across the region due to different suppliers. I went to the driving range down near Bville that does fills for like $10.99, but after getting a tank filled there twice it didn't seem like it was filled completely. I never weighed it, but seemed like I blew through those tanks faster then normal. Might just be me though.

Also brewing up Denny's Rye IPA tomorrow for the first time. I have American Ale on the stir plate going. Was gonna use Denny's 50 but couldnt justify running down to the LHS just for yeast when I have a few jars of 1056 from a previous batch.

i really prefer the 1450 over the 1056 for this recipe. Tried the 1056 once and really thought the 1450 made it "pop". 1450 is a great strain

i say that more to say - if you arent wowed by the brew, retry with 1450

New Feature!

Mostly cuz I have nothing better to do tonight than play with google docs, I've made a new sheet that compounds all the splits and displays the actual weights per person/per split! So this will make it easy when picking up your split, just print out this sheet and bring it with you. Take a look over it and let my know if you see any errors. Also note the sheet is double height, so youre name might be in the bottom section. Only CLOSED splits are displayed in this sheet.

Here is the automatically updated/published sheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UENtekEwcFlXbXc&single=true&gid=7&output=html

the avalanche is coming! yeah I have a few more things that are coming in too. I posted my intended layout on my ebuild (for the lights and switches). It is almost like you don't know where to start. I am really glad I didn't tackle this project before I built the smaller control panel (I needed to learn some electric basics before taking on the big panel).

Those smaller heat sinks you have will need a fan from my experience (YMMV) - or do you mean two other sinks than the ones that commonly come with the SSRs? The sink itself was quite hot (some where in my thread I noted the temp) and I set up a fan to blow across them on my last control panel SSR life will be shortened. The one I bought this time shouldn't need a fan and the place I got it from on ebay is going to anodize it for me for $7!! All told 10x6x2 black anodized sink for $45.

What are you using the 1'' orings for? The lights/switches?

I should have enough DIN rail, but if you are planing to trow it out then let me know :) You never know what idea might come up!

Yes the heat sinks I got came with the SSR's I have seen other use these like this without a fan so I hoping this works if not I need to relook and my plan and layout. 1" orings are for the heating element and the gang box to seal on the kettles. I will keep the DIN rail only need about 4-6" and got 6' same cost go figure!!!

Mparsons327 said:
So what are you fellas drinking for the game today?

Nothing, as I am driving to someone's house and will have my child with me. But I will take with me (for others) some captain hooked on bitters (esb), some nut brown ale, some SN celebration clone, some blue balls (blue moon clone). [All home brews.] Also bringing some freshly baked (doing the rise now) spent grain raisin bread. I will partake in a couple myself when I get home and get my son to bed.

I'm bringing a keg of ubu clone to my buddy's party. And just started sparging the Denny's ryepa at home. This sun is out today too. Good to get out.

Nothing, as I am driving to someone's house and will have my child with me. But I will take with me (for others) some captain hooked on bitters (esb), some nut brown ale, some SN celebration clone, some blue balls (blue moon clone). [All home brews.] Also bringing some freshly baked (doing the rise now) spent grain raisin bread. I will partake in a couple myself when I get home and get my son to bed.

speaking of this trying some of the celebration clone now. Mine came out really good, definitely a fantastic beer. Wish I would have put aside some celebration to compare it, but I think it is pretty darn close.

you are gonna love that rye jeff.

speaking of this trying some of the celebration clone now. Mine came out really good, definitely a fantastic beer. Wish I would have put aside some celebration to compare it, but I think it is pretty darn close.

you are gonna love that rye jeff.

I have some of the real stuff too. I can bring you a bottle, assuming you still have some of the clone left by the time the grain comes in!

Looking forward to getting this grain so I can do Denny's rye ipa! Also planning a rye saison with 3711. What else do you guys make with rye?

I've got a bottle of Ommegang abbey ale for the game, and I hope we can finish off the rest of my pumpkin beer (turned out pretty good, fermented with WY1318 and subtle spices) and maybe my Christmas beer (which is great).

luckilyu I brewed 11g ... so I have a good lot of this stuff :)

I'll bring you one of the real thing and one of mine. You bring one of yours for me to try? [As an aside, bottling is a PITA, especially after kegging. I'm getting better at it (ie. more efficient). But I'd rather keg and then bottle a few from the keg than doing the carbonation in the bottle...my beers have been getting nice and clear (in general) by cold crashing in the keg and not having yeast in the bottles.]

Bah, rushed brewing today and didnt sparge right. Came out low on gravity at 1.076 instead of my targeted 1.085.

The ubu clone went well at the party, the only thing... it doesnt taste like a 7.9% beer, so a few people got pretty smashed. But atleast they enjoyed it!

I'll bring you one of the real thing and one of mine. You bring one of yours for me to try? [As an aside, bottling is a PITA, especially after kegging. I'm getting better at it (ie. more efficient). But I'd rather keg and then bottle a few from the keg than doing the carbonation in the bottle...my beers have been getting nice and clear (in general) by cold crashing in the keg and not having yeast in the bottles.]

Yeah I hear you on all counts. That will be the hardest part for me :) committing to bottling it! But that sounds like a plan to me.

Jeff I am sure it will still turn out great.

ONLY 13 sacks to go! Keep the bags coming guys, almost there!

Added to 2GUNZ split. Trying to decide what to get if I get one more sack. :)

The beers I took to a superbowl party yesterday seemed to be well appreciated. The favorites were the SN Celebration clone (from those that like real beers) and the citrus Witt (Blue Moon clone but I used lemon instead of orange so it is less sweet and more citrusy) from those who are more BMC or non-beer drinkers.

Jeff - You can remove split 28. I added a whole sack of cara pils down below. If someone wants to go in on a split with car pils we can re-adjust. I just wanted to make sure I got some.

If the C-40 split doesnt close, I'm willing to go up to 1/3's. Anyone want to jump on this?

I'm at .25, I would increase if needed.

Also, I just closed the chocolate split, added a bag of BZ-CRPL, and threw a little grain twogunz's way....

We are close!

Jeff - You can remove split 28. I added a whole sack of cara pils down below. If someone wants to go in on a split with car pils we can re-adjust. I just wanted to make sure I got some.

Hey, want to do a 75/25 split on the carpils? I could use 1/4 bag. That cool with you?

Jeff B

Wow awesome - 147 bags!!!

No sweat WAORGANY!

I think we closed a PBW so we might need 153 to get to 8000lbs - maybe Jeff can verify.

Keep the bags coming! Only one more split of there (Flaked Wheat). With summer coming I am surprised that no one has grabbed this. If I dodn't ahve a full bag of it myself already I would jump on it. (great for witbiers, sam summer ale, and lots of summer brews).

Keep going strong we need 8000 lbs!!

Oh yeah here are the payments I have received to date:

Zeno27 $208.73
CBK $191.78 5
WORGANY $250.00
JeffB4218 $828.75
CidahMastah $417.30
Scallywag $219.20
Strecker25 $157.18
Jbsengineer $273.32

Wow awesome - 147 bags!!!

No sweat WAORGANY!

I think we closed a PBW so we might need 153 to get to 8000lbs - maybe Jeff can verify.

Keep the bags coming! Only one more split of there (Flaked Wheat). With summer coming I am surprised that no one has grabbed this. If I dodn't ahve a full bag of it myself already I would jump on it. (great for witbiers, sam summer ale, and lots of summer brews).

Keep going strong we need 8000 lbs!!

Naw, I removed the 0.25 split of PBW since it didnt look like anyone was gonna jump on the split.

152 should still get us over 8000 lbs of grain weight.

Back