Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff and Cidah - Just contributed to each of your bags (Cidahs is now closed). Thanks again for all your work!!!

I did another batch today (two days in a row), a Vienna/Wheat made-up recipe. Anyway, I noticed I've already used about 1/2 of my sack of Vienna from the last buy....decisions, decisions.

I did another batch today (two days in a row), a Vienna/Wheat made-up recipe. Anyway, I noticed I've already used about 1/2 of my sack of Vienna from the last buy....decisions, decisions.

I loved xmas break. 3 days of back to back brewing! It was great to roll out of bed, go to the basement and start the strike. Make coffee, (er um.. add baileys), head down and grind grain and start the mash. relaxing brewing...

Ha!

I might be interested in some vienna, but I have to check my supply because I can't recall how much I have left. I am thinking I would be in the .25 - .334 level of interest.

Worgany - not sure if you are looking for a heat sink but I was able to swap mine out for my ebuild to this one from the place I bought it from on ebay: It has a depth of 6'' and width of 10'' and 2'' tall fins. It should be pretty much the max sized heat sink for the size enclosure we both bought (my enclosure and goodies arrived today!).

Added 4 more bags, up to 126! I may have more bags coming if we still want to go for another pallet.

Added 4 more bags, up to 126! I may have more bags coming if we still want to go for another pallet.

I'm planning on adding 1 more myself atleast. Figure this will be the cheapest grain we will be getting, everything is going up in price these days so why not stock up! How many more you think you can get? I've put some feelers out here at work, might be getting a couple that way, but no more than like 2-3.

Also here is the locked 126 bag/3 pallet sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvGGgq4iC1v4dHBQMnBwVXkycXdkVWRRLWlLSFE5cVE

Keep adding on the normal sheet, but if we don't reach the order limit within the next couple weeks we will fall back to this sheet. Its locked as well.

exactly - Bierhaus keep chasing it - worst case we won't make it. best case everybody wins.

This is the final push!

If anyone was thinking about adding a split I might grab the difference. I am building a good stock so anything might look appealing, :). Let me know what you have in mind, :)!

If anyone was thinking about adding a split I might grab the difference. I am building a good stock so anything might look appealing, :). Let me know what you have in mind, :)!

I just added a split for BZ-VIEN and grabbed 1/3. I've been using this lately and it is an ingredient in Troeg's Nugget Nectar (which is on my to-do list). Honestly, I was thinking of adding a full sack, given I've used about 25-30 pounds already from the last buy.

If I didn't already have a full sac myself I would have split one with you. I have a few on my to do lists that call for Vienna.

Added another bag of Optic, and switched both bags of MOPA to Fawcett. So were up to 127 bags!

Also started a GW-C40 split! Load up boys!

got in on the vien.

Was thinking about the optic, but wasn't sure what the main differnce was. i.e. what would I notice w optic vs. other base malts

got in on the vien.

Was thinking about the optic, but wasn't sure what the main differnce was. i.e. what would I notice w optic vs. other base malts

My friend loves it for his IPA's and barley wines. He flipped sh*t when he found out I could get it, then flipped even more at the cost. Figure its something good to have around. Been really happy with the Fawcett MOPA in the past, so just gonna stick with it.

I'll take the last 1/3 of Vienna if it isn't already spoken for. Could someone update it on the spreadsheet for me? Damn iPhone!

I'll take the last 1/3 of Vienna if it isn't already spoken for. Could someone update it on the spreadsheet for me? Damn iPhone!

Can do! Yeah sorry the sheets dont work on the Iphone. But posting and having someone do it isnt that bad.

24 bags to go!

It's a PITA but I managed to edit the sheet with my iPhone yesterday...

It looks like Farmhouse Brew Supply is back in stock of Simcoe 2011 pellets, for those who might be interested. $6.80/4 oz. They can be hard to find.

worgany - just snatched up a nice big heat sink (10x7x2) for about 38 bucks on ebay!! I have almost all the hardware I need to actually commit to building the upgrade and cannibalizing my current rig :D

I will have to cut the heat sink to fit on the enclosure, but it is a steal price wise.

Yea I have two smaller heat sinks that fit on the SSR independently I have extra DIN rail and 1" o-rings if you need them!!! Still need a few more lose odds and ends to get the ball rolling.....once you start its like getting caught in an avalanche!!!

Yea I have two smaller heat sinks that fit on the SSR independently I have extra DIN rail and 1" o-rings if you need them!!! Still need a few more lose odds and ends to get the ball rolling.....once you start its like getting caught in an avalanche!!!

the avalanche is coming! yeah I have a few more things that are coming in too. I posted my intended layout on my ebuild (for the lights and switches). It is almost like you don't know where to start. I am really glad I didn't tackle this project before I built the smaller control panel (I needed to learn some electric basics before taking on the big panel).

Those smaller heat sinks you have will need a fan from my experience (YMMV) - or do you mean two other sinks than the ones that commonly come with the SSRs? The sink itself was quite hot (some where in my thread I noted the temp) and I set up a fan to blow across them on my last control panel SSR life will be shortened. The one I bought this time shouldn't need a fan and the place I got it from on ebay is going to anodize it for me for $7!! All told 10x6x2 black anodized sink for $45.

What are you using the 1'' orings for? The lights/switches?

I should have enough DIN rail, but if you are planing to trow it out then let me know :) You never know what idea might come up!

I finally jumped in and added some bags, I couldn't let you guys have all the fun.

I'm debating getting a split of another crystal. Right now I have C60 and C120 and Amber (somewhere around C20 but different I think). I was debating a C40 (split is already open) or a C80 to round out my selection but I haven't had much experience with them and don't want to both if the difference between them and the ones I have isn't particularly noticeable. Any thoughts and experience?

ORDER PICK LOCATION DEFINED

Hello gents - we secured a business drop off location for the order (rather twogunz did :D)

Here's the address:
Busch Products
110 Baker Street
Syracuse, New York 13206

...And if anybody is interested in counter tops, well then it's a one stop shop! http://buschproducts.com/

Twogunz will be handling that part of the pick up logistics when the time comes. Stay tuned.

Since twogunz is helping us out we better get to the 152 bags so his grain counts!!!

131 bags

The location is right off of carrier circle, which should make it easy for folks coming from either direction on the thruway.

I finally jumped in and added some bags, I couldn't let you guys have all the fun.

I'm debating getting a split of another crystal. Right now I have C60 and C120 and Amber (somewhere around C20 but different I think). I was debating a C40 (split is already open) or a C80 to round out my selection but I haven't had much experience with them and don't want to both if the difference between them and the ones I have isn't particularly noticeable. Any thoughts and experience?

I really like c40 in a lighter colored IPA or Pale. For example in amarillo IPA it is a lighter, fruitier IPA that is quite drinkable. I joke that it is my replacement for labatts blue because it is so easy to drink. But yet has so much flavor. I have bothe c40 and c80 and like them both. I probably use c60 the most, followed by a close match up of c120 and c40. Most of hte recipes I use c80 in call for c120 and or a c60 installment as well.

Due to twogunz help here, I am thinking about adding two more bags of base malt... now the question is simply... which ones?! Thinking maybe of trying the optic and something else.

I grabbed a bag of Munich because with my ferm chamber and the few more kegs I want, I'm going to get lagering. And it's just about time for some Marzens!

I almost brewed 2 lagers last brew day buy I didn't plan out enough time to step up the starters. Before getting some washed yeast, lagers really need to be built up a lot. Not quite as easy as simply using a packet of dry yeast like I've been doing lately.

I grabbed a bag of Munich because with my ferm chamber and the few more kegs I want, I'm going to get lagering. And it's just about time for some Marzens!

I almost brewed 2 lagers last brew day buy I didn't plan out enough time to step up the starters. Before getting some washed yeast, lagers really need to be built up a lot. Not quite as easy as simply using a packet of dry yeast like I've been doing lately.

I hear that. I plan on doing some more lagers too, but like you said more prep, more watching (cooled ferment)/ d-rest etc. and patience (1-2months lagering). But now is the time to do them so they are ready in the spring an summer.

My pilsner clone is 2 weeks in lagering and I plan to let that roll for 6-8 months before trying. Can't wait!

Now that I look at it, I think I am gonna grab a bag of munich too. I only have 10lbs left! Surprised that I missed that.

I am thinking about it... but I might add on one more bag of pils

132 bags

Awesome! Keep 'em coming like this and we will close out before the end of this week :D

16 bags to go

Got another 4 bags. 136

Nice! Keep it coming. Think you will have more interest? I have some feelers out on a few people but not sure it will really bring anything in.

Also added a donation split to Split 35 for TwoGunz since he has been kind enough to provide a business location for this buy and supporting pickups! Big thanks! Just pick an amount from you col on this row to add a donation. It will put the cost in your col, and donate it to TwoGunz. 0.2 is about a $7 donation just to give you an idea. Having it sent to a business instead of a home has saved us alittle on shipping, so i figure its the least we can do =)

Also added a donation split to Split 35 for TwoGunz since he has been kind enough to provide a business location for this buy and supporting pickups! Big thanks! Just pick an amount from you col on this row to add a donation. It will put the cost in your col, and donate it to TwoGunz. 0.2 is about a $7 donation just to give you an idea. Having it sent to a business instead of a home has saved us alittle on shipping, so i figure its the least we can do =)

Very kind but completely unnecessary! I'm just glad I can pitch in. It's my parents' business and my Dad is slowly getting more involved with homebrew, so far more on the equipment and drinking end! :mug:

rustbucket said:
ok some of my money is in the mail via check.

btw, jeff you know you want to break the $1000 barrier...

Soooo tempting! Good thing this order is actually split up across 3 people lol

For those who brew with propane. The BJS by me dropped its propane fill price for members to 11.33 after tax. Cheapest I've seen in a long time.

Latest posts

Back