Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just mean. I have a basement full of c15, c40, c60, carapils, amber, chocolate, aromatic, wheat, rye, rice, corn, vienna, munich, 2row, otter, ...

I'd go for 1/4. :mad:

In that case, I won't tell you how amazing their other crystal malts are...

I'd also be down for 1/3 or 1/4 of TF-CRY120 by the way. :D

Leave it up to biehaus to get us to carry double stock of two brands :D haha I might be willing to try a TF brand when I kick a GW Cmalt. But I just restocked on the C60

Ive been gone for 5 days and this thread has gone hog wild!

At this rate you guys wont make it till spring for the next grain order! But anyways now i have internet and can really read everything since my phone is tough.

i might be in for a few things after christmas. IM come home for a week, and doing up to 5 brews.. (going to kill alot of grain that i hve)

I closed the GP-FLBLY and CM-WHET splits. I started GW-C15, GW-VIEN, and BD-BLCK splits (1/4 but could do 1/3). I also added a bag of CM-2ROW. It's been updated on google docs sheet.

Should I be updating the order status sheet as well? I left it alone but could update that as well.

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good commercial rye beer? I'm not sure that I've ever had one but it sounds interesting. If it's good, maybe I'll pick up some of that too.

I closed the GP-FLBLY and CM-WHET splits. I started GW-C15 and GW-VIEN splits (1/4 but could do 1/3). I also added a bag of CM-2ROW. It's been updated on google docs sheet.

Should I be updating the order status sheet as well? I left it alone but could update that as well.

On an unrelated note, can anyone recommend a good commercial rye beer? I'm not sure that I've ever had one but it sounds interesting. If it's good, maybe I'll pick up some of that too.

The order status is updated automatically from the order entry sheet. Also its locked from editing anyways.

I closed the GP-FLBLY and CM-WHET splits. I started GW-C15, GW-VIEN, and BD-BLCK splits (1/4 but could do 1/3). I also added a bag of CM-2ROW. It's been updated on google docs sheet.

my wife like's Lake Placid Brewing co's honey rye brew. If you haven't tried Denny Conn's wry smile rye IPA, that is a must do. I have done many rebrews on that and love it.

Added 1/4 interest to the BD-BLCK split. Could do 1/3 but would prefer 1/4. We have time let 's see where this goes. Also Mr. Cidah, kegged up my deception cream stout today. Hydro sample tasted absolutely wonderful. Was wondering how you were doing with yours. From reading your posts I believe you are about 2 weeks ahead of me. Just curious for some feedback regarding your opinion on this beer.

Added 1/4 interest to the BD-BLCK split. Could do 1/3 but would prefer 1/4. We have time let 's see where this goes. Also Mr. Cidah, kegged up my deception cream stout today. Hydro sample tasted absolutely wonderful. Was wondering how you were doing with yours. From reading your posts I believe you are about 2 weeks ahead of me. Just curious for some feedback regarding your opinion on this beer.

Updated pricing for newly added splits.

Jeff B

Also Mr. Cidah, kegged up my deception cream stout today. Hydro sample tasted absolutely wonderful. Was wondering how you were doing with yours. From reading your posts I believe you are about 2 weeks ahead of me. Just curious for some feedback regarding your opinion on this beer.

It has been going down very well :D. I set it up on nitro after 3 weeks in the primary and right now it is just about perfect, pouring with a good 1-1 1/4inch head on it.

I really like the brew and it oddly reminded me of the oatmeal stout I made in the first couple pints, good roasty character just a bit sweeter (not in a bad way). As it has aged a bit more and probably due to the nitro, it has lost a little more of that roasty character and become more creamy in texture and taste. The brew itself has a really nice body, almost thick mouthfeel, especially when it is served a bit warmer. I am stuck at 32-34F to serve because the current nitro tap is set up on my washed yeast refridge.

I brewed the deception just almost 5 weeks ago and between having a few friends over, and the novelty of the nitro tap, I am pretty close to kicking my first keg of the stuff. Glad I did an 11G batch so I can see this brew last a bit more!

I think you will really enjoy it. There is part of me that wants to try it on straight co2 to see the difference, but for now the nitro tastes so good I have little incentive to take on that experiment. When you try yours please let me know what you think of the flavors - would like to compare with mine.

I know my previous Guinness clone tasted good, but not like guinness on straight co2; on the nitro though, wow it was very close. I am rebrewing that Guinness clone this weekend along with the oatmeal stout. I am sure the oatmeal stout will be improved by the nitro as well.

Oh yeah - just added a bag of BZ-WHET. Think I will be adding another MOPA and Pilsner down the road, but want to see how my brew schedule is lining up.

Just grabbed 2 lbs of simcoe and one of amarillo. Now I have to brew something with the simcoe for sure! I have been putting off any recipes with simcoe for forever...

Where you get it? What guinness clone are you using. Ive been looking for a good one.

Simcoe, Northern Brewer 18.99 for a lb. Of course I had to grab some other stuff to o.

The Guinness clone I used is:

(a) the one change I will make for next time is up the abv from about 3.9% - 4.5-4.8% while keeping the grist in ratios in check)
(b) I didn't use the sour beer last time. I might try that for one keg of the stuff this time since the nitro does lighten the brew up.

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/14/2011
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Brewer: CidahMastah
Boil Size: 13.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Blingman
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 60.61 %
5 lbs 8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 30.30 %
1 lbs 10.4 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
95.20 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.042 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.94 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.90 %
Bitterness: 30.0 IBU Calories: 185 cal/pint
Est Color: 29.8 SRM Color: Color

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 22.69 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F

Notes

Sour beer with grains for 4-10 days and heat at 160F for 20 minutes and then add to the keg to taste.
2qt starter

For the Simcoe, I would definitely recommend something like this:
Yooper's clone.

I think this recipe comes out with more residual sweetness than the true Surly, but its damn good.

For the Simcoe, I would definitely recommend something like this:
Yooper's clone.

I think this recipe comes out with more residual sweetness than the true Surly, but its damn good.

cool I will have to try that one! But darn it I don't have one of the hops... just when I thought i was fully stocked up!

I was also thinkin gof doing something like the pliny clone. Heard a lot about that but never tried it.

CidahMastah said:
cool I will have to try that one! But darn it I don't have one of the hops... just when I thought i was fully stocked up!

I was also thinkin gof doing something like the pliny clone. Heard a lot about that but never tried it.

I think the most important is the amarillo/simcoe combination (which seems to be pretty popular). I subbed Centennial for the Ahtanum and could not really tell the difference. The commercial beer uses Warrior instead of Summit for bittering; just adjust based on AA%.

I think the most important is the amarillo/simcoe combination (which seems to be pretty popular). I subbed Centennial for the Ahtanum and could not really tell the difference. The commercial beer uses Warrior instead of Summit for bittering; just adjust based on AA%.

cool - centennial I have plenty of - love that one.

I love the amarillo too. Almost grabbed two lbs of that as well, but held off.

I know I'm a bit late, but another good rye beer is Hoss by great divide. Marzen with rye, nice touch.

People in Syracuse who are in the Salt City Brew Club, Airgas on Erie Blvd will do tank fill/exchanges for a discounted price if you are a member (both CO2 and Beergas (75/25)). Email me for prices since they do not want me to advertise them... but a pretty decent discount.

Giving a round house kick to my marris otter this weekend; rebrew of the Guinness clone and Oatmeal stout. The guinness clone is all TF-MOPA and the oatmeal is about 5lbs of left over BD-MOPA and the rest TF-MOPA.

So this will be a cool test to see if I can see a noticeable difference in taste for the marris otter brands since these are both rebrews that were originally brewed with BD-MOPA. I assume that in the least, the Guinness should be the easiest to discern a flavor difference in the malt; there are only three malts in the grain bill. So I am looking forward to it!

Also hoping to wrap up the welding on the brew stand! We will see, but looking forward to a happy brewing weekend. Anybody else going to brave the cold and snow?

I brewed up a Scotch Silly clone last night, man it was cold out! Out of propane, barely made it to the end of the boil! Time to fill all 3 of my 20# tanks.

Been doing a fair amount of dark and heavy beers lately. Any suggestion for a quick turn around ale? Pale or something? Light on hops.

I'm brewing the centennial blonde tomorrow for a few bmc drinking friends. I go grain to glass in about 2 weeks with it.

I brewed up a Scotch Silly clone last night, man it was cold out! Out of propane, barely made it to the end of the boil! Time to fill all 3 of my 20# tanks.

Been doing a fair amount of dark and heavy beers lately. Any suggestion for a quick turn around ale? Pale or something? Light on hops.

Not super quick, but super good. Mirror Pond Ale. Every person whom I've given this to (BMC type to those who appreciate good beers) has really liked it.

Grains
9.5 # 2Row (I used Maris Otter)
1# Crystal 40
4 oz Carapils
Hop/Other Schedule
.5 oz Centennial [10%] First Wort (60+ minutes)
Irish Moss (15 min)
1 oz Cascade [5.5%] (15 minutes)
1 oz Cascade [5.5%] (10)
1 oz Cascade [5.5%] (5)
1 oz cascade [5.5%] dry hop 7 days

Yeast
I used S-04 (I used previously saved yeast which worked just fine and dandy). I believe HBT recipe calls for 2 pkgs, or you could do a starter.

Mash is slightly low: Mash @ 150 for 60 minutes.

I believe this is the HBT discussion: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mirror-pond-pale-ale-clone-70466/.

I think using Maris and the s-04 is what makes the recipe. I don't have my hand written brew notes with me, but I believe my FG was 1.010 (looking at what I have in BeerSmith).

I do remember this finished up fermenting fairly quickly, did mine in mid-60's (65 degrees?).

Smashing (and the other guy who paid via amazon.com) can you post a mini write up step by step of exactly how you guys paid? Did you get charged a fee?

Thanks!

CidahMastah said:
Smashing (and the other guy who paid via amazon.com) can you post a mini write up step by step of exactly how you guys paid? Did you get charged a fee?

Thanks!

Really? I barely remember what I did yesterday let alone last month. J/k, I know I didn't get charged a fee. I'll have to revisit the process when I get on my computer. Too hard from my phone. I know I used the link you posted too.

I'm looking for local detox/five-step program for obsessed homebrewers. Anyone know of one?

Cuz... I'll be spending my weekend standing outside in the cold all day, roasting my own brown malt over a fire for a historical beer I'm brewing. Not that I don't already have 30 something lbs of brown malt in my basement.

As I said, where's that five step program... :)

I finished my first pass at my motorized barley crusher tonight. By first pass I mean I need to make some improvements, but it is functional. I went to HD to buy the lumber, but then I scored a clearance sink/cabinet/mirror combo for $24. So, now I had a stand. I cut a piece of plywood for the top and have the 39# 157 RPM, 125 In.-Lbs 1/3 HP motor I scored from Grainger Gearmotor, AC, 157 RPM - Gearmotors - Gearmotors - 2Z849 : Grainger Industrial Supply and barley crush mounted on top. I put casters on 2x4's attached to the bottom to make it easier to roll around my garage, and I wired a on/off switch plus a forward/reverse DPDT switch.

I still have a bunch of work to do on it, like get the DPDT and copious wires into a box of some sort, paint it, etc. I'm also not happy with the way the barley crusher itself is attached, need to secure it better. (Right now it is just sitting on some blocks which are attached to the plywood with L brackets).

I did do a test, crushed 3# of Vienna in less than a minute (didn't time it, but decent rate and the crush looks good).

Tomorrow I hope to celebrate by brewing. I'm thinking of doing a Vienna SMaSH, I think originally posted by DeathBrewer:

10# Vienna
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8% AA) 60
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8% AA) 20
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.8% AA) 5
Nottingham Yeast

Anyone brew this and can comment?

I had intended to start early, but broke my hydrometer tonight. While I was preparing to take a reading and rack a batch from a primary, I had it in its plastic tube and it rolled off onto the floor...all kinds of little pieces in the tube. Fortunately not in my batch of beer (Nut Brown Ale). So, my brew day can't begin until the LHBS opens at 10:00am.

Amazon payments....

https://payments.amazon.com/sdui/sdui/personal/money

I used this link.

Overall this works just like Paypal. I added my credit card, clicked "send money" and the recipients (Cidah) email and away it went.

I don't really remember the sign-up portion and I may not have to do much since I've been shopping Amazon for years.

Seemed like it took a day or two to clear Cidahs bank.

I wasn't charged any fees.

*** I just logged in to Amazon Payments and a new box popped up saying: As a result of changes to federal regulations, Amazon Payments requires that you provide your Social Security Number and verify your name and address. Start now.
Not sure how I feel about this. Well - I know how I feel, I just don't know if I'm going to use this now.
Stupid ass government wants it's taxes. If they worked half as hard fixing the system as they do trying to screw us this would be the country our founders meant it to be.

Single malt and single hop. The main reason for this style of brewing is to learn about the ingredients being used.

I haven't brewed one either. But the idea is that you are trying ot learn the taste that individual ingredients make on a brew - just as CBK said.

Also - I saw that thing about the SSN as well. I put mine in for now, but I am thinking that we may be using checks to some degree. They may have added a fee, or something. I know we will only get 1K for transfers through amazon per mo too. So I assume we will have to do some checks, some amazon, some chase. It makes it a PITA for me to track, but I can deal with it.

No problem - here you go:

Recipe: Celebration Ale 5g
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 12.7 ozPale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.45 %
1 lbs 6.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.55 %
22.27 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
44.55 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
24.85 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 40.4 IBU
21.36 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
42.72 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
22.27 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
44.55 gm Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.20 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.25 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F

Notes:
------
Use CM-PALE or CM-2ROW
156F mash
Ferment 62F ramp to and hold at 68F
98g Cascade @ 5.5% (0 - whirlpool 10-15min)
49g Centennial @ 10.00% (0 - whirlpool 10-15min)
1.065-1.016 (as per website)

When putting this in Beer Smith2, what do you enter the late addition hops as? My options are :
Boil, dry hop, mash, first wort, aroma....

When putting this in Beer Smith2, what do you enter the late addition hops as? My options are :
Boil, dry hop, mash, first wort, aroma....

I have beersmith 2 and brewed this recipe 2 weeks ago. I entered the late (flameout) additions under boil.

Yeah flame out boil at 0 mins. Cool that you brewed this one, it is on my list soon, but my buddy wanted to brew stouts tomorrow. I got it tough over here ;)

Brewed this celebration recipe yesterday. My manifold wanted to be a total dick and fall apart. Had to take all yhe mash out then add it back in after putting back together. Not fun. However the brew was rite on the money and is plugging away now!

Nice!

I got screwed this weekend because my buddy ducked out on Saturday, but I couldn't get at my brew equip because all the steel for the rig was in the way. Then he came over Sunday at 7:30am, only to have his wife come by and tell him he needed to leave at 9:30am... so it was a total wash with nothing brewed and marginal work done on the brew rig....

However, I did pick up a super deal on a 60 amp GFI breaker and have started to install the power set up for the electric rig in the basement (indoor brewing!!!). This is totally awesome because i have just about everything I need except for the wire from the main load center to the subpanel. I will set it up so I can either brew inside, or wheel the rig outside and brew outback. Should be awesome, and will likely make brewing during the week very possible and convenient.

On the xmas list is another PID; if I get that I will be able to simultaneously run the HLT and the BK. Right now I have my system set up to do one, or the other as I only have one PID. the good part about the design I chose was that when i built it, it gave me all the hardware I need to upgrade to the 60amp circuit. WAHOO!

Latest posts

Back