Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Issues to resolve:

Why don't we plan on closing this buy Monday a.m. since we have several outstanding issues. Specifically:

1. Need one more to close the Star San buy - come on guys!!!
2. jhenderson looking at getting some hops.
3. We are good with the PBW buy, but could add one more if anyone wants in
(5S-PBW50) 50 pound pail $125 (CidahMastah, Buffalobrewer, Copyright, drocu, Jeffb418, jhenderson27) - can accept one more person on this buy.
4. need to hear back from the buyer on payment method.
5. Oop - Bierhaus to confirm brown malt...

If by some chance we resolve these issues we can forge forward - so try to wrap these up ASAP.

Has anyone in the Syracuse area had any trouble with the tap water? I looked at the water report and didn't see any glaring problems. Figured I'd go to the source and see what my neighbors have found/learned...

I am on a well in jamesville/pompey ny area - no issues. My water is closest to the dublin style. Generally if you don't mind drinking it, you will be fine. Let us know if you have a specific issue you are having or are concerned with and maybe we can help.

Whoa, this thread got really active in the last 12 hours!

I just called the guy about the brown malt split to confirm. He's suddenly on the fence and honestly, I really don't want to deal with bs right now. Therefore, if there is another split someone wants to complete, that is fine. If we absolutely need the brown malt split to go through, I'll buy the other 1/3rd.

Lastly, I didn't realize this thing is shipping to Rochester!? I'm going to have serious trouble getting out there... any chance I can pick mine up with the SYR people. I wouldn't mind giving some $ for gas.

Whoa, this thread got really active in the last 12 hours!

I just called the guy about the brown malt split to confirm. He's suddenly on the fence and honestly, I really don't want to deal with bs right now. Therefore, if there is another split someone wants to complete, that is fine. If we absolutely need the brown malt split to go through, I'll buy the other 1/3rd.

Lastly, I didn't realize this thing is shipping to Rochester!? I'm going to have serious trouble getting out there... any chance I can pick mine up with the SYR people. I wouldn't mind giving some $ for gas.

Yeah I can grab yours too since its not a huge amount.

bierhaus - we could split the brown malt if you want - I only have one recipe I need it for right now (Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter) so I don't know how much I will use it, but I want this order to be done with minimal changes ;) - that is unless someone else wants in on it.

I put up the change of venue in the beginning but I knew it may get overlooked

Yeah I can grab yours too since its not a huge amount.

Thanks! That saves me from one huge headache...

bierhaus - we could split the brown malt if you want - I only have one recipe I need it for right now (Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter) so I don't know how much I will use it, but I want this order to be done with minimal changes ;) - that is unless someone else wants in on it.

Whatever is easier for you. We can split it, or if you want I can buy 2/3rds and find someone to buy it later on. I already got 10lbs of Crisp brown malt sitting around, so if someone else wants to complete a different split that's ok with me too.

FYI - here is what the cost looks like so far - rough estimate with shipping and the cleaning supplies added. (the second Star San buy is not included)

CidahMastah $195.90
Buffalo Brewer $493.98
Bierhaus15 $79.22
Jhenderson27 $11.98
Copyright1997 $124.29
CBK $120.78
rustbucket $241.36
twogunz $92.53
drocu $70.49
stunsm $107.60
Jeffb418 $146.93
jbsengineer $112.83
Smashing $65.12

Buffalo Brewer (estimate on your people):
Buffalo Brewer - Jason $41.64
Buffalo Brewer - Andy $31.72
Buffalo Brewer - Andy $41.64

Buffalo Brewer - Matt $41.64
Buffalo Brewer - Matt $31.72
Buffalo Brewer - Jeff $37.78
Buffalo Brewer - Jeff $39.44

Buffalo Brewer - Kate $31.72

Cidah, is this a high end estimate of cost? I ask because if we are going to have paypal issues I would like to get a check on its way to you in tomorrows mail. I would rather you owe me than I owe you, so please estimate on the high side. If you want to pm me your address and amount I will get it on its way...

That could be a little high or a little low. I would say no major difference of more than $10 unless we have a shipping issue.

Total Bags = 42

Buffalo Brewer - TF-MOPA x1
Buffalo Brewer - BZ-PILS x1
Buffalo Brewer - CM-2ROW x1
CBK - CM-2ROW x1
CBK - TF-MOPA x1
Cidahmastah - TF-MOPA x1
Cidahmastah - BZ-PILS x1
Rustbucket - CM-2ROW x2
Rustbucket - GW-VIEN x1
rustbucket - BD - PALE x 1
rustbucket - BD - MOPA x 1
drocu - CM-2ROW x 1
Stunsm - CM-2ROW x 2
Stunsm - BD-MOPA x 1
Twogunz - BZ-VIEN x 1
Twogunz - BD-MOPA x 1
Buffalo Brewr:
Jason - BD-MOPA x 1
Andy U - BD-MOPA x 1
Andy U - CM-2ROW x 1
Matt - BD-MOPA x 1
Matt - CM-2ROW x 1
Jeff - BZ-MUNH x 1
Jeff - BZ-VIEN x 1
Kate - CM-2ROW x 1
JeffB418 - BD-MOPA x1
JeffB418 - TF-OPTC x1
JeffB418 - CM-2ROW x1
jbsengineer - 1 x GW-PALE
jbsengineer - 1 x CM-2ROW
jbsengineer - 1 x BZ-PILS
Smashing - 2 x CM-2ROW

Completed Splits:
1. GW-C60 - 1/3 (CidahMastah, copyright1997, CBK)
2. GW-C15 - 1/3 (CidahMastah, copyright1997, rustbucket)
3. BD-VIEN - 1/2 (copyright1997, buffalo brewer)
4. TF-RSTB - 1/3 (rustbucket, cidahmastah, bierhaus15)
5. TF-PCHO Pale Choc 1/3 (bierhaus15 x 2 , rustbucket)
6. GW-C40 - 1/3 (Copyright1997, rustbucket, drocu)
7. GP-FLWHT - 1/3 (jhenderson27, twogunz, Copyright1997)
8. TF-BRWN Brown Malt 1/3 (bierhaus15, cidahmastah, twogunz[/B])

Cleaning Supplies:
1. (5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 (Cidahmastah, CBK, Buffalo Brewer, Copyright)
2. (5S-PBW50) 50 pound pail $125 (CidahMastah, Buffalobrewer, Copyright, drocu, Jeffb418, jhenderson27) - can take 1 more

PENDING:
1. (5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 (Jhenderson, drocu, jbsengineer) - Needs 1

want to grab mine too :p hahahaha... its only another 350lbs-ish, just kidding ill get it myself

but anyways cidah i hate you!, now im looking at doing a couple meads... maybe 3 1 gallon ones (of different types)

~Lavender mead
~cherry almond vanilla (maybe)
~Leap your mead

want to grab mine too :p hahahaha... its only another 350lbs-ish, just kidding ill get it myself

but anyways cidah i hate you!, now im looking at doing a couple meads... maybe 3 1 gallon ones (of different types)

~Lavender mead
~cherry almond vanilla (maybe)
~Leap your mead

haha did you grab honey yet?!

I have to buy a mill soon so I can get in on this. I live halfway between Rochester and Syracuse and go to both cities often. I bet buying in bulk would pay for the mill pretty quick.

Hey rustbucket, want to split up the SYR pickup since we have 6 people on the list now?

Was thinking:

JeffB418 picks up:
1) CidahMastah
2) TwoGunz

Rustbucket picks up:
1) jbsengineer
2) bierhaus15

Would that be alright with you?

Or does someone have something that could handle the 1000+lb and pick up the whole lot?

i have a pick up truck that i can just overload and just place everything in there. (just a suggestion, not sure yet)

I have not picked up honey yet.. im in the process of figuring out the whole thing and what i want to do.

So I tapped that oatmeal stout and once I got past the first couple of yeasty pints, oh man is this thing delicious. I think this tops the Irish stout I've been brewing.

I should probably just dump the first bit of a keg but homebrew is so precious. Do you guys get rid of any when you tap a new keg?

Just wait until you start making it with a bit of brown malt thrown in. If there is a miracle-flavor grain for black beers, brown malt is it.

So I tapped that oatmeal stout and once I got past the first couple of yeasty pints, oh man is this thing delicious. I think this tops the Irish stout I've been brewing.

I should probably just dump the first bit of a keg but homebrew is so precious. Do you guys get rid of any when you tap a new keg?

I pour off about 4oz right when I open the keg. After that, it is good to go! Sometimes I have a yeasty brew for the first one. Did you do Jamils or another oatmeal stout? I am about to hook up my second keg of jamils... looking forward to it!

Should we close this buy on up? Looks like we didnt get a final taker on the star san split?

Let me know what you want me to do.

What was the star san deal? I might be interested.

Regarding the oatmeal stout, I made my own version. I started with the guiness clone and modified away... Came really good for a version 1

This is the deal.
I updated. keep in mind the status will be posted and updated on post number 2

would anybody be interested in starsan splits? there are a couple listed, I was thinking about being so bold as to grabbing a gallon of the stuff in a 4 way split. 1 gallon each. However they have a smaller amount available. Just curious if anybody was interested in THAT much starsan.

Star San
(5S-STAR - 32 ounce) 32 ounce bottle $12 (48 a gallon)
(5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 (29.5 a gallon)

I added it to the splits. I am not 100 percent we can get this, but I think we can. That would be $0.23 per 5g bucket use. Hard to pass up for me ;)

I'll jump in on the star san... Price is right! I haven't used it before (I do OxyClean and iodophor) but was thinking of adding an acid in for keg line cleaning.

This is the deal.

Thanks for digging that up CBK.

I will close *Starsan* out.

Twogunz - I will let you and jhenderson work out the details the borwn malt but will put you on for the full amount. easier for me to keep track of.

Total Bags = 42

Buffalo Brewer - TF-MOPA x1
Buffalo Brewer - BZ-PILS x1
Buffalo Brewer - CM-2ROW x1
CBK - CM-2ROW x1
CBK - TF-MOPA x1
Cidahmastah - TF-MOPA x1
Cidahmastah - BZ-PILS x1
Rustbucket - CM-2ROW x2
Rustbucket - GW-VIEN x1
rustbucket - BD - PALE x 1
rustbucket - BD - MOPA x 1
drocu - CM-2ROW x 1
Stunsm - CM-2ROW x 2
Stunsm - BD-MOPA x 1
Twogunz - BZ-VIEN x 1
Twogunz - BD-MOPA x 1
Buffalo Brewr:
Jason - BD-MOPA x 1
Andy U - BD-MOPA x 1
Andy U - CM-2ROW x 1
Matt - BD-MOPA x 1
Matt - CM-2ROW x 1
Jeff - BZ-MUNH x 1
Jeff - BZ-VIEN x 1
Kate - CM-2ROW x 1
JeffB418 - BD-MOPA x1
JeffB418 - TF-OPTC x1
JeffB418 - CM-2ROW x1
jbsengineer - 1 x GW-PALE
jbsengineer - 1 x CM-2ROW
jbsengineer - 1 x BZ-PILS
Smashing - 2 x CM-2ROW

Completed Splits:
1. GW-C60 - 1/3 (CidahMastah, copyright1997, CBK)
2. GW-C15 - 1/3 (CidahMastah, copyright1997, rustbucket)
3. BD-VIEN - 1/2 (copyright1997, buffalo brewer)
4. TF-RSTB - 1/3 (rustbucket, cidahmastah, bierhaus15)
5. TF-PCHO Pale Choc 1/3 (bierhaus15 x 2 , rustbucket)
6. GW-C40 - 1/3 (Copyright1997, rustbucket, drocu)
7. GP-FLWHT - 1/3 (jhenderson27, twogunz, Copyright1997)
8. TF-BRWN Brown Malt 1/3 (bierhaus15, cidahmastah, twogunz[/B])

Cleaning Supplies:
1. (5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 (Cidahmastah, CBK, Buffalo Brewer, Copyright)
2. (5S-PBW50) 50 pound pail $125 (CidahMastah, Buffalobrewer, Copyright, drocu, Jeffb418, jhenderson27, jbsengineer)
3. (5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 (Jhenderson, drocu, jbsengineer, twogunz)

Hey rustbucket, want to split up the SYR pickup since we have 6 people on the list now?

Was thinking:

JeffB418 picks up:
1) CidahMastah
2) TwoGunz

Rustbucket picks up:
1) jbsengineer
2) bierhaus15

Or does someone have something that could handle the 1000+lb and pick up the whole lot?

I keep adding to my order. So I would feel bad if someone hauled all my crap, :). I will pick it up myself. I have a pickup, so if anyone in the Syracuse area needs me to haul I would be happy to. I would also be happy to accept some gas money, :).

jbsengineer - I have you added on to PBW - so all the splits are closed up that could take any. That is such a great deal on the cleaners, I hope that the rules haven't changed and we can still order them.

One last item before we close this and I get actual price from NCM...

Any hop orders going in? Or are we set?

I keep adding to my order. So I would feel bad if someone hauled all my crap, :). I will pick it up myself. I have a pickup, so if anyone in the Syracuse area needs me to haul I would be happy to. I would also be happy to accept some gas money, :).

JBSENGINEER, you willing to pick up Rustbucket and bierhaus15s?

JeffB418 picks up:
1) CidahMastah
2) TwoGunz

jbsengineerpicks up:
1) Rustbucket
2) bierhaus15

ORDER CLOSED

So final malt and cleaning supplies
Cleaning Supplies:

1. (5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 [$30each] (Cidahmastah, CBK, Buffalo Brewer, Copyright)
2. (5S-PBW50) 50 pound pail $125 [$18 each] (CidahMastah, Buffalobrewer, Copyright, drocu, Jeffb418, jhenderson27, jbsengineer)
3. (5S-STAR4) 4 x 1 gallon case $118 [$30each] (Jhenderson, drocu, jbsengineer, twogunz)
----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
Estimate of pricing with new cleaning supply add on:
CidahMastah $189.40
Buffalo Brewer $487.48
Bierhaus15 $63.38
Jhenderson27 $29.98
Copyright1997 $117.79
CBK $121.28
rustbucket $241.36
twogunz $138.38
drocu $63.49