SWMBO just said to me "Why dont you buy a grain mill!?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
We juggle one car and it's a pain for me to get out to the LHBS to get grain milled. I was lamenting doing this again for a brew this weekend and she said, "if its something that you will use and will make your life easier, just buy it"

So what mill should I buy? I dont need the pro-level mill, I do 12 gallon batches and mill 20-25ish pounds of grain at a time. I can safely spend a few hundred on this, and i generally would rather lay out more cash up-front and get a great product vs. getting something cheaper that will not last me for a LONG time.

I welcome any info and suggestions, thanks!

Steve

I have to suggest a Monster Mill, that's what I use, it's built like a tank.

It comes in a few different sizes, and with 2, or 3 rollers.

My LHBS, has been using their Monster Mill for quite awhile. So I know mine should last as long. or even longer.

I have to suggest a Monster Mill, that's what I use, it's built like a tank.

It comes in a few different sizes, and with 2, or 3 rollers.

My LHBS, has been using their Monster Mill for quite awhile. So I know mine should last as long. or even longer.

Yup... Monster Mill 2.0

Go ahead and get the base with it to mount it.

Built like a tank.

I have milled 20+ batches (10-12# each) and have had NO problems whatsoever.

They redesigned the adjustment knob from my model. But I have never had a problem with any readjustments.

:rockin:

I also suggest the 1/2" Slow speed drill, from harbor freight, to run it.

I've been doing a lot of research and I'm going with the Monster Mill MM2 2.0. It's a bit confusing, but MM 2 2.0 stands for the Monster Mill with 2" diameter rollers, version 2.0. The regular Monster mills have 1.5" diameter rollers. Version 2.0 has some improvements over the original, like a bigger gap size range, allowing you to mill adjunct grains in addition to barley. They go for about $200 without a base or hopper. You can read more about them here.

When I buy a mill, it'll be the MM2 2.0 for sure. Seems reliable and good.

A 3 roller mill has twice the crushing surface area.

As the grain is fed through, it splits and goes between the top rollers and the bottom one on each side.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Assuming the rollers are the same size, the 3-roller mill has the same fine-crushing area as the 2-roller mill, with the added 'benefit' of a coarse conditioning crush between the top rollers. Monster Mill has a brief 'how it works':

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/faq.html#q1

I bought the Monster Mill 3 during an online sale at one of the bigger homebrew suppliers and have been happy with it, although I am sure the 2.0 version is more convenient for adjusting. I drive mine with a cheap low-speed drill from Harbor Freight. I purchased the MM3 kit that comes with a pre-drilled base and grain hopper that holds something like 11 lbs of grain I think. I place that setup on a bucket and drive it with the drill. It has worked well for me so far. You should also invest in a set of feeler gauges so you can adjust the gap setting if you choose an adjustable mill (also cheap on Harbor Freight - but must be cleaned to remove grease before using on your mill).

During an online deal, I got the mill package for $200, drill and feeler gauge for around $45. So somewhere around $260 after shipping.

Ugly junk corona mill
I've been using it for a couple years now does a superb job and it want break the bank
Got mine from grizzly.com just add a drill and your ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I got a decent cheap roller mill. Bit clunky to get started the first time but it works pretty well now. I don't have a LHBS so I rely on milling stuff myself.

Ugly Junk Corona mill for the win! $24 for the mill, $6 for a couple Homer bucks, $20 Harbor Freight drill.

this all the way, plus that drill comes in handy for modding brewing pots when you need something with a lot of cutting power.

that's a good thought, any suggestions? She isn't big on stuff and doesn't want me buying her clothes unless its a scarf, and I've gotten her many scarves over the years.

that all depends on what she likes :) does she have any hobbies?

hell, take her our for a lunch or something fun, day dates are cheap and memorable and last for hours. (google search "insert city" Free activities).

plus... pregnant women love food... haha

a few bucks and a day is a great way to say thanks for supporting the hobby :)

JSP malt mill. They are awsome and have a high resale value. Ginds grain like nobodys bussinuss. really fast. http://schmidling.com/maltmill.htm If you buy it you will never need to buy another one unless you go professional and about 5 barrals. Under 5 barralls I would still use it......Just my 2 cents

There are many threads regarding this subject. You might do a quick search and read a few. I buy all my grain milled from my LHBS but I want to be able to do my own. Most of those mentioned are touted as durable but there are many choices out there. I'd say get one that generally gets good reviews at a competitive price (if there is such a thing). Good luck.

My wife is just the opposite of yours. She doesn't think the cost justifies the need. If I can find a bulk grain buy maybe I can justify the purchase.

I bought the Monster Mill from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. It comes with the base and hopper. Love the control of milling my own and trying different settings to see how it effects efficiency. I'm watching for Black Friday specials to gather more brew goodies.

There are many threads regarding this subject. You might do a quick search and read a few. I buy all my grain milled from my LHBS but I want to be able to do my own. Most of those mentioned are touted as durable but there are many choices out there. I'd say get one that generally gets good reviews at a competitive price (if there is such a thing). Good luck.

My wife is just the opposite of yours. She doesn't think the cost justifies the need. If I can find a bulk grain buy maybe I can justify the purchase.

OT -- check out group buys here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/
Find one in your area probably.

Back to your regularly scheduled mill discussion.

Sent from somewhere to someone

she loves beer but is about 3 months preggers with kid #2 so that's out.

Get her a prenatal massage. My wife loved them when she was pregnant. More worthwhile further into the pregnancy. Apparently they do this thing where they "pick up" the baby to relieve pressure. My wife raved about that and was totally refreshed after it.

Back