SWMBO Cherry Limeade Blonde - Feedback Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph2002

Reaction score
So, SWMBO has requested a cherry limeade beer for July 4th... I thought about a Kolsch for the base, but considering the time constraints I think I'll need to do a Blonde Ale instead. Base recipe is a blonde I've brewed before that had a slightly malty, mostly crisp and dry flavor. Here's what I'm working with so far...

8lb Two Row
1/4lb Biscuit Malt
1/4lb Cara-Pils

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes
Fly Sparge with water at 168 to collect approx 8Gal of wort

Boil 60 with the following additions
.75oz Northern Brewer @ 60
Fresh Zested Peel of 5 Limes @ flameout

WLP001 - 2L starter pitched at 60 degrees
Ferment for 7 days
add 4 lbs pureed rainier cherries that have been pasteurized and cooled to primary and ferment an additional 7-10 days

Rack to secondary to cold crash. After 48 hours add gelatin for fining. Keg, carbonate, and serve.

Anyone used cherry puree or lime zest before? Trying to have those flavors be present but not overly strong or sweet. Still going for a dry finishing summer beer. Thanks! :mug:

Interesting idea. I'd consider using tart cherries instead of sweet. Sweet cherries are mostly sugar and don't have much cherry flavor after the sugar has fermented out. You could also just make a regular Kolsch then dose it with a cherry-lime syrup at serving time...basically a beer cocktail (e.g. similar to raspberry or woodruff syrup served with a Berliner). That way people can choose whether or not to drink it straight or with fruit.

Yes Tart cherries will definitely bring more flavor to the table, plus they will add a bit of acidity that will fill out that lime zest

Agree w/using tart vs. sweet cherries. If the cherry character isn't strong enough you can add cherry flavoring before kegging.
Also, you can use those cherries more than once, after you rack the blonde beer off of them have another brew ready to go for round #2.

Try 148F at 60 min. Much lighter body (which SWMBO might like). Maybe ditch the Biscuit malt and replace it with sugar for a much dryer less "biscuity" brew.

Looking forward to how it goes!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I ended up using tart cherries, mashed at 148. SWMBO loved it, and I'm a bit of a fan myself! Nice dry finishing beer with a balanced cherry flavor.

I used five limes, zested the peels right before adding it. The line is subtle, especially compared to the cherry.

Back