Switching to 15 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElVirolo

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'd like to increase my batch volumes and would be very grateful if you could help me choose which equipment to buy (actually a present from my parents-in-law!).

This is my current setup (sorry about the non-round numbers, we use the metric system here):

- average batch volume for a 1.055 OG beer: around 11 US gallons
- BIAB setup using a 19.2 gallon aluminium kettle (yup, they are big & heavy bags!)
- propane burner (can't remember its power though)
- 8.7 gallon stainless steel kettle for heating up sparge water (I used to use it for brewing 5 gallon batches)
- 8 x 7.9 gallon plastic fermenters
- a big copper coil immersion chiller (can't remember its size, but it cools down 11 gallons of boiling wort to room temperature in about 15 minutes)

I think moving to 15.8 gal batches sounds reasonable (i.e. 3 fermenters).

Would you suggest I get
1) another ~ 19.2 gal mash tun with a false bottom (using my small stainless steel kettle for heating up sparge water)?
2) a big (20 gal?) cooler with a manifold (I'm no good at welding though...)?
3) Or a ~26.5 gal kettle for BIAB (in which case I could use two bags at the same time for convenience)?

I would, I suppose, need a pump for the first the options. Does this one seem okay?

Many, many thanks for your help!

EV.

I'm upgrading my BIAB to do the same. I found a 1 barrel stainless steel kettle for a great price. It may be a little large, but I won't have to worry about boil overs or removing the bag.

Best wishes with your new system.

I have three 100L pots (25 gal each) and I do 18 gallon batches so I end up with 15 gallons of kegged beer. You have to leave room for the hot break and boil off, then I have some brew house losses. For example I don't tip the BK at knock out. BIAB has some limitations when you do bigger batches. If you buy 20 gallon pots (good size) your going to have them maxed out to get 15 gallons of kegged beer. It's just some stuff to think about.

The other approach would be to buy a second large kettle and a second burner. If you stagger the starts then you should have plenty of time to finish cooling the first before the second one is ready to cool down.

Sticking with the same size kettle would mean you'd have back-up BIAB bags, you wouldn't feel like you have to get a bigger chiller, and you wouldn't have to adjust all of your recipes.

That pump is a pretty popular one, also the beige version gets used quite a bit.

A 25 - 30 gallon kettle and a bag is all you need. A strong back or a decent hoist will help greatly.

15 gallon BIAB can be very manageable with proper tools IME.

Or you could get a 25 - 30 gallon boil kettle, and stick a braid in your current kettle and batch sparge to the new larger boil kettle.

A 15 gallon batch holds heat pretty well, a cooler not needed IMO.

Thank you very much indeed for your very helpful replies. It seems that getting a 30 gallon kettle would be the way to go.

Thanks again!

Back