Switch back to airlock, or stick with blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunk2

Reaction score
I started an IPA Saturday morning with a gravity of 1.066. I pitched rehydrated Nottingham around noon, slapped on the lid and put on a blow off tube. I've had some crazy fermenations lately and decided to start all of my brews with the blow off from now on.

I was getting some activity that night. By yesterday, it was very vigorous. It was a constant stream of bubbles, and it smelled amazing. I've been keeping it around 63-65 degrees using a swamp cooler.

This morning it was still going very strong, and I fully expected to see some krausen come through the tube. Well, that never happened. It's still going really strong, but slowing down a tad.

My question is whether or not I should switch back to the airlock as it slows, or just leave it alone? Does it make a difference?

I'd leave it alone. Sounds healthy. Not all batches and yeasts will force Krausen through a blow-off tube. Cheers!

As long as your temps stay constant you're fine. If it slows in fermentation and then the temp reduces you can suck water/starsan/alcohol from your blowoff into the bucket. I typically switch to an airlock after about 3 days just to be safe (but I don't have good control of ferment temperatures).

Back