Swing Top Bottle (used to hold olive oil)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jebu1788

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My aunt was kind enough to support my brewing endeavors by supplying several Grolsch swing top bottles and a one liter clear swing top that had been used for olive oil.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights to whether or not this would be safe to use for bottling. I have no idea of what kinds of pressure this would remain un-exploded under. Also, I can't upload a picture of the actual bottle but here's a picture I found that looks almost exactly like the one I have:

COSTALATA1000mlcopy_0.jpg

(The gasket is much newer and in better shape than this one.)

And holy cow, I didn't realize I was adding such a large picture.
Edit: (Ok, I adjusted it)

I have the exact same bottle. Wash it well with soap and hot water a few times, then pbw a few times, replace the gasket with a new one and it should be good. I only use it for beer storage, never carbed in it. I just counter pressure fill it and no problems so far.

The gasket is fine. But I should have said that I bottle condition (no kegging for me yet). I'm just concerned about using a bottle that may explode (especially since this is 1 liter and would waste more than usual...)

The gasket may have absorbed oil which may not be able to wash off. which would mess up the beer.

Ah. Good point, I would not have thought of that. Thanks!

Back