Swing top 32 oz. Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I've been bottling into these because I generally drink about that much in a session. However I've had inconsistency in carbing. I've targeted priming sugar dissolving issues and have spent extra time rinsing during cleaning/sanitation. I've even changed out rubber washers themselves. I've had tripels carbed to 3 vols. work and porters @ 2 vols. fail. Has anyone else experienced this and found a reason or solution?

Do you put measured amounts of priming sugar directly in the bottles, or mix it up in a bucket before bottling? The inconsistencies I have experienced in the past were when using a bottling bucket and the beer did not evenly mix with my priming sugar solution. Some bottles were perfectly carbed, while others not so much.

Could be the porters just take a lot longer to bottle condition. Do the porters still fail at 6 weeks of warm temp conditioning?

I do use a bottling bucket. However, I don't have the same issue with capped bottles. The failed bottles don't seem to be dependent on conditioning time but that is something I may need to track better. It also hasn't been any particular style. It has been the odd bottle in a good batch.

I had trouble as well. Do yourself a favor. Buy a bag of Coopers Carbonating Drops and in place of the sugar put three in each 32oz bottle.

Thanks, richarcm. I'll try that. If it doesn't fix it, at least it would point me towards the real problem.

Latest posts

Back