Sweet Stout Yeast Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
So I'm making the Left Hand Milk Stout clone from this website, scaled down to 3.5 gallons so I can do a no sparge beer with the restraints of my brewing capacities.

Now, I have WLP 041 Pacific Ale which based off the description I thought would do well, but I also bought Wyeast 1056, but the Wyeast is like a week past its prime.

I cannot decide if I should mix these two yeasts or make a starter with the WLP yeast. I do not want to use the Wyeast for this on its own, but fear losing more viability.

Any thoughts on the cons of mixing the two yeasts ?

The only things that I can think of is that it would be more work to figure out what your yeast cell count is that you're pitching and if you dislike the yeast character then you won't know if it came from the 1056 or the pacific ale.

And if you want to use the 1056 then just go to mrmalty.com and figure out how big a starter you would need to compensate for a less viable pack. No need to waste a $8 yeast pack

alright, i'll just make a starter with the American ale yeast..lol. Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back