Sweet Stout is stuck at 1.032

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SPECIALTY GRAIN [steeped]
-- 0.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
-- 0.5 lbs Carafa II
FERMENTABLES
-- 6 lbs Briess Amber LME, use half as late addition (15 min)
-- 1 lbs Lactose
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
-- 1 oz Willamette Pellets
YEAST
-- 1 Packet Dry Nottingham

OG was 1.054. It's been 9 days, and it's been at 1.032 for 2 full days. I swirled a bit and tried to warm it up from 64/66 to closer to 70 - stayed at 1.032.

Repitch? If so, how?

I am still pretty new to brewing but I did make a milk stout not to long ago. I had the same issue with my readings being high. Don't panic. You used a pound of lactose. Lactose is a non fermentable sugar so it will keep your gravity on the high side. I would let it sit for a while. If it doesn't go any lower after a few days then I think it is done.

Like I said, I am on the newer side of
Brewing but I had the same concerns you did!

Cheers!

I am still pretty new to brewing but I did make a milk stout not to long ago. I had the same issue with my readings being high. Don't panic. You used a pound of lactose. Lactose is a non fermentable sugar so it will keep your gravity on the high side. I would let it sit for a while. If it doesn't go any lower after a few days then I think it is done.

Like I said, I am on the newer side of
Brewing but I had the same concerns you did!

Cheers!

what did you end at? this is about 3% ABV according to the calculator. :-/

It fermented lower. Probably around 1.016 area like a normal beer but the 1lb of lactose that is unfermentable is keeping the gravity high.

Yeah 1.032 is pretty high for a stout with that low of an OG... My Russian Imperial finished at 1.030 and turned out great, but it was 1.098 to begin with so that's a bit more appropriate. Without knowing much about your brewing process or what could have happened, if it's been 9 days and swirling and warming isn't doing anything, I couldn't see re-pitching really hurting anything. Maybe go with some Safale US-05, just hydrate and stir in, trying not to oxygenate the beer.

Back