Sweet & Sour Fruity Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my last two batches of Irish Red have both had a weird off flavor and aroma that I would describe as sweet, sour, and fruity. The FG has been fine so it's not actually sweet, but that's how I perceive it. The frat time it happened, I thought I must've oxidized it and thought maybe this was a sherry flavor. This second time, I can rule out oxidation because the smell and taste where there when I opened the fermenter to keg. I did notice some pretty significant scratches in the fermenter, so now I'm thinking infection. Does sweet, sour, and fruity sound like an infection to others?

On a side note, I submitted the first batch to a competition hoping I would get a comment about the off flavor and aroma. Nope, and the damn beer scored 32.

It sounds like an English ale yeast (or Irish ale yeast) and a higher fermentation temperature. Esters are fruity, and they are formed by the yeast.

Back