Sweet Potato Spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory_John

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im brand new to the site, well I haven't really been on here on a daily basis. Im about 10 months into making wines and meads, and a couple of days ago, I decided to make a sweet potato wine...tis the season.:mug:

Here is the recipe Ive come up with reading on a couple of different recipes.
This is for a one gallon batch, but I made a gallon, plus 3 quarts (a chables 3 quart wine bottle Ive drank). So I did some math to get 3/4 of a gallon as well. For one gallon, here is my recipe.

6 pounds of sweet taters
2.5 pounds of sugar
1 pound of raisins
2 cinnamon sticks
1 clove
splash of ginger
1 tsp of acid blend
1tsp of yeast nutrient
wine yeast (E491 I think)

And this is what I did...

Diced up my potatoes into about 1.5" cubes, covered with water and brought it to a boil. Then I threw in the cinnamon sticks, covered the pot and reduced to a simmer for 25 more minutes. I strained the water out, added more water to bring to a 1.75 gallons of water then added enough sugar to bring my specific gravity to 1.11 or so. I think the sugar I used was about 8 cups or 3.5 pounds of sugar. My math might be wrong on there with the sugar count... but my SG is 1.11!! LOL I should get around 10-11% when the sugar is all eaten. I threw the potatoes mix I strained out of the boil into my primary bucket with my juice I just made, covered and let it sit for 24 hours.

The next day, I took half my packet of yeast and mixed in warm water for a bit, then tossed it into my primary, covered and thats where I am at. This was yesterday 10/1/13 and today I am seeing raisins and some potatoes that have floated to the top, and it smells like it is creating some alcohol. I hope this goes well, and If you stay on for the ride, and you are in florida, you should come by and try some in a few months. Ill probably crack a bottle around xmas time...

I just bottled an apple cinnamon mead a few days ago, its from the 4th of July, and the other gallon Ive already drank lol. It was delicious. Anyway, if anyone is reading this, feel free to use the recipe as a guide. It smells delicious, and very unique. Sweet potato wine baby :rockin:

Ill post a pic soon.

Heres some photos of the beginning stages... It is not yet complete by the way I'm only 24 hours into fermentation...It should come out splendid.

IMG_20130930_184654.jpg

IMG_20130930_184701.jpg

IMG_20130930_184753.jpg

IMG_20130930_184806.jpg

IMG_20130930_193629.jpg

Back