Sweet Berry Mead!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skot_88

Reaction score
My gallon of Sweet Berry Mead melomel...

1. Stewed Forrest Fruit type tea infusion in 2/3 a gallon of spring water.
  2. Added ~1,600g (~3.5lbs) of honey.
  3. Then added 500g of frozen summer fruits (blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, red and blackcurrant, raspberry).
  4. Added a tablespoon of yeast nutrient, citric acid and tannin.
  5. Messily chucked it all in the demi-john.
  6. Added 250g of dried berries (blueberry, cranberry, inca berry, flame raisin).
  7. Added 35ml of vanilla extract.
  8. Pitched the yeast.
  9. Oxidized by shaking the hell out of it.
  10. Airlocked it and left it to sit in a dim boiler cupboard.

Low and behold when the fermentation kicked in about an hour or so later the pressure had forced all the berries up against the airlock bung, pushed out all the water in the airlock and replaced it full of the red must! Lovely and messy!

However, all has calmed down now and while its still bubbling like no mans business, while the gases try and break through the berries, it was clean enough to put a nice new label on for all the Tim and Eric fans out there...

P1030315.jpg

P1030316.jpg

Well with that much fruit, it's not surprising that it's foamed like hell. Many here, or over at Gotmead, myself included, would have started that in a bucket (most of the HBS do Ritchies/Young's 2 gallon plastic buckets with lids that have a hole/grommet for an airlock). That way you have a bigger surface area that allows the fruit to rise and fall.

If you'd made it with that amount of fruit, but with a gallon of liquid or maybe a little more, then once it's finished the ferment, you transfer it to the DJ and you'd end up with about 5 and a half bottles full.

If it's still foaming some, you can always take a pint of the liquid out and put it into a milk bottle (glass door step type, not a plastic one), as a bung and airlock fit the top and put it in the fridge as it'll stop the fermenting quite quickly - then add it back when the ferment quietens down some.

Plus it depends on the yeast, but the boiler cupboard storage might not be doing it any favours. You'd be better placed keeping it at room temp, just wrap the DJ in kitchen foil to reduce any light exposure problems.

Good colour though :rockin:

Ah-ha! Brilliant, I will certainly be using a bucket next time round.

Its my first melomel and I think I severely underestimated just how much the yeast would love all those berries. It seems to be a bit more stable now though so I might hold off extracting any of it for the meantime as while its a bit messy and red the airlock hasn't been compromised.

I've also moved it out from the boiler cupboard and covered it up somewhere to cool off as I it was probably running a bit too hot now that the weather here's picked up.

Many thanks for the advice! :mug:

Ah-ha! Brilliant, I will certainly be using a bucket next time round.

Its my first melomel and I think I severely underestimated just how much the yeast would love all those berries. It seems to be a bit more stable now though so I might hold off extracting any of it for the meantime as while its a bit messy and red the airlock hasn't been compromised.

I've also moved it out from the boiler cupboard and covered it up somewhere to cool off as I it was probably running a bit too hot now that the weather here's picked up.

Many thanks for the advice! :mug:
When does the weather ever get hot in the Manchester area ? Whenever we go to Wigan for a rugby match (herindoors follows them), or we go up to her family around Lancaster, as soon as you cross the ship canal, it always seems to be pissing down ;)

The thing with the bucket Vs carboy/DJ is that if you make it in a bucket, it's easier to manage the ferment and control it so you don't get a mead eruption, but once it's basically finished, it's easily racked off the sediment etc so you can see what's going on as far as clearing etc, is concerned (looks nicer if you have to keep the DJ's out on show as you've nowhere to store them).

You didn't say what yeast you used. I use the Lalvin brand stuff, which can be found mail order (actually I use mainly either D21 which is harder to get, or K1V-1116, which is the lalvin packaged version of what the Late brother Adam used to use down at Buckfast Abbey - it seems that he probably used the Gervin version, packaged as "Varietal E", but it's harder to find a home brew shop that sells it - they often have to order it in, so it's easier to get the Lalvin one).

Whats Manchester water like ? Ours is hard, with lots of chalk/calcium in it, so I've started to use "reverse osmosis" water from the local aquarium shop (£3 for 25 litres). All the **** you'll read about the yeast needing some trace elements from the water is bollocks. If the yeast relied on the bloody water for trace elements, you'd have to ferment in raw sewage to have enough nitrogen for the yeast! And you're not gonna be doing that any time soon (hey! maybe....... whatever presses your buttons eh ;)). The RO water thing has worked well.

If you have a read of my blog, there's a load of links on the right, some of which are links for UK based suppliers and/or UK based info - there's a few international ones two. I mail order stuff from both Belgium (Brouwland) and a few places in the US as well.

I don't know if my mail order stuff is any better than the stuff you can get locally, but it does help when following a method or recipe, as you can copy it as closely as possible. Plus with Lalvin yeasts, they publish more info/data about them (and their other products like the FermaidK nutrients and other stuff) than any other manufacturer - which means you can work **** out more accurately and design and manage recipes more easily...... s'up to you eh!

Enough of my ranting/bollocks/suggestions and guidance for now

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and you still might find, that once the melomel has finished it's ferment, that it's not "fruity" enough to your taste. A lot of people will put half the fruit into a primary ferment, then let it finish and stabilise the brew before putting the rest of the fruit in. It makes for a more fruit tasting batch, that's often drinkable earlier, and also means it suffers less from any bleaching action of the yeast during ferment and you get a better colour.

Haha, it gets a bad rep for the rain but I've had some of the barmiest of UK summers in Manchester... then again being from the highlands my standard of barmy is pretty low!

Our water's hard too, loads of minerals from the Peaks but it tastes good. Nevertheless I just use ASDA spring water because it saves bothering with campden treatment and supplies me with some handy 5 litre screw-top containers. I've never been to fussed about the water really, trace elements and all that sounds far too fanciful for my brewing!

So far I've just ordered your standard homebrew items from VinClasse based in Somerset so I don't even know what kind of yeast I'm using other than its "Dried Active Yeast"... but I'll certainly check out your blog as I might be interested in getting some things from the Americas.

From the primary ferment I was going to rack it onto another 500g of the same frozen berries... but what I might do now is rack it onto 250g of that fruit and save the rest for after it's stabilised? Hmm... not quite sure yet!

Cheers for wise ranting though fatbloke, really appreciate any handy suggestions! :tank:

Haha, it gets a bad rep for the rain but I've had some of the barmiest of UK summers in Manchester... then again being from the highlands my standard of barmy is pretty low!

Our water's hard too, loads of minerals from the Peaks but it tastes good. Nevertheless I just use ASDA spring water because it saves bothering with campden treatment and supplies me with some handy 5 litre screw-top containers. I've never been to fussed about the water really, trace elements and all that sounds far too fanciful for my brewing!

So far I've just ordered your standard homebrew items from VinClasse based in Somerset so I don't even know what kind of yeast I'm using other than its "Dried Active Yeast"... but I'll certainly check out your blog as I might be interested in getting some things from the Americas.

From the primary ferment I was going to rack it onto another 500g of the same frozen berries... but what I might do now is rack it onto 250g of that fruit and save the rest for after it's stabilised? Hmm... not quite sure yet!

Cheers for wise ranting though fatbloke, really appreciate any handy suggestions! :tank:
Ha ha! fair enough. So while you're making your mind up and having a think, here's an excellent link for some reading material. Most of the Q's that you might have, should be answered there.

The racking onto the 500g of fruit is a smart move, just get it finished for now, then you can always rack/strain the liquid off the fruit in the DJ, get the old stuff out, then put the new in, but with sulphite and sorbate as well, which should stabilise it as it's getting more fruit flavour etc.....

If you're getting stuff from as far a field as Somerset, what the hell, have a look over at WinesatHome and this is the bloke you want, he runs a little HBS over the other end of the M62. He keeps the "usual suspects" from the Lalvin range etc (couldn't find the link to his website, it's there somewhere).

Right, enough of my bollocks for the moment.......

Back