Surrounded by sweet corn!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
So, one of our salesman just stopped by our office and had the back of his pickup loaded with fresh sweet corn. I now have probably about 50 ears that I'll cook up this weekend for my brother's graduation party. I'll probably cook them on the grill, and was wondering if any of you had any secrets/special ways of grill cooking corn.

Get a nice big burlap bag, put all the corn in it and soak the whole bag and corn in water for 30 minutes. Then toss the whole bag on the grill. makes sure to keep turning it and wetting it but it imparts an awsome flavor on the corn

I peel the outer husks down like a banana (but keeping them attached), and remove the silk. Then put the husks back and grill them until done. I think you can soak them in water before grilling if you want.

In a pot with Old Bay and Crabs

My BIL from NC does this with Shrimp, Potatoes, Onion and Sweet Corn.

Its the other use for a Turkey Fryer besides brewing.

I think I still prefer husked and boiled in a pot myself.

Craig

I peel the outer husks down like a banana (but keeping them attached), and remove the silk. Then put the husks back and grill them until done. I think you can soak them in water before grilling if you want.

+1

Don't forget the butter and hot sauce when it's time to eat them.

I soak them in water for a few minutes, then peel the husks down and remove the silk, put some butter and pepper on the corn, put the husks back in place, and grill. Salt after they're done.

I husk and remove the silk, then rub a compund butter I got from another site. For 6 ears do 6 tbsp butter and a tsp each of salt, sugar, basil, thyme, parsley, and rosemary. I rub the butter all over each ear, wrap in foil and toss on the grill.

Damn, nothing like good roast corn. I remember my aunt and uncle having a corn roast over 20years ago, I probably ate a dozen ears of corn and was insanely constipated the next day.

The sweet corn should be in this week here. I've had it on the grill all kinds of ways and even underground with a pig. I still prefer it completely cleaned and boiled. I like it a bit undercooked as I like the crunch. Roll it on a stick of real butter and salt the crap out of it. The kids and I have an "all corn day" where we eat nothing but sweet corn for every meal. They've been asking about it for a couple weeks. SWMBO shakes her head, but luckily she always is ready to boil it for our big day.

I just like to steam it. As soon as you smell it, it is ready. One thing about Sweet Corn is the conversion from sugar to starch begins nearly immediately after picking, so the quicker from field to table the better.

Soak them in a big bucket of salt water for a few hours, pull 'em out, husks and all, and throw them on the grill. Let them cook until the huskes are completley burned evenly and pull 'em off. Peel, Hold it by the husks, and rub butter and sprinkle salt and pepper all over it.

That or throw them in a shrimp boil with some seasonings, potatoes, and sausage.

A friend introduced me to this method and everyone I have cooked it for falls in love with it. I usually make about a dozen ears and kind of ballpark the ingredients so this isn't exactly precise, but this will give you the general idea. Begin by melting 2-3 sticks of butter in a sauce pan. Finely chop up one bundle of parsley and add that to the melted butter and let simmer. Mince up some garlic, anywhere from 4 cloves to a whole head depending on how much you like garlic. If you don't have fresh garlic a couple tablespoons of the stuff in a jar works fine. Toss that in the sauce pan and simmer for about 5 minutes. Now for the corn prep. I usually pull back the husks and either tie them back with butcher string or small zip ties work too. This will give you something to turn the ears with on the grill as well as a handle to eat with. Toss the ears on the grill with the husks hanging off the edge so they don't burn. Take your butter/parsley/garlic mixture and baste the ears every 4-5 minutes until the corn is at your desired texture for doneness. Slather on the remainder of your butter mix and serve. Your guests will love it.

Another fine idea is to mix butter,lime juice and cilantro in a bowl. Butter the ears and wrap in foil and roast on the grill or oven. It tastes great.

How the hell did I miss this last month. If I don't do a shrimp boil, I'll remove the husks, brush them with olive oil and toss them on the grill and turn often.

Before cooking take
1Tbls of Chipoltle pepper(chopped in a food processor)
2 Tbls of Honey
the juice of 1 lime
cook in small saucepan until a thick syrup, cool and put in food processor with 1 stick of butter.

My daughter's friend told her father I had to teach him to make this as it was the best thing she ever ate

I pull off any loose husk but leave most of it on the cob. Trim the loose silk off the top of each ear, but don't expose the kernels. Soak the corn in water for about a half hour or so. throw the corn on the grill for about a half hour, turning every 5 minutes (timing will have to be adjusted for the specific grill.) The corn is done when the husk on the outside is papery and a lot of it might turn dark brown or black, some of the husk may even fall off.

I shuck them (leaving the stalk on as a handle), rub with butter, sprinkle on smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil, on the grill for ~10 min total on high, keep em moving. Carmelizes the outside, and you get a nice smoky/light spiciness from the paprika.

Latest posts

Back