Surly Grindcore clone attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDogg

Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/print/1219462
If anyone is interested and know the beer.

I made this beer off a few ideas from other recipes as a starting point, as I got from their website what the grain bill is and hops and yeast used.

The first test from fermenter are definitely similar as the coffee beans used and hops seemed to bring that familiarity of the original.

Anyone with any inputs I'm open to hear as I have this now in bottles with 48 days since brew day landing on Christmas 2021 for first bottle conditioned tasting.

I used a different variant of sugar and added cacao which may have deviated somewhat, but if it gets close, I can always redo it and leave those out.

My first piecing together of a recipe and excited to find out how the final product comes tastes (BIAB).

Attachments

• IMG_20211209_232743764.jpg
    IMG_20211209_232743764.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211209_232748190.jpg
    IMG_20211209_232748190.jpg
    990.7 KB · Views: 10
I like your cold steeping method, it's something I've only just encountered recently. How do you like the results from that method? And thanks for sharing!

Nice, thanks for noticing. I actually liked it and was a first for me. Separating the grains at purchase and grinding them separately dark from light then steeping over night ahead of brew day. I did try and focus on keeping that aspect to reduce heat interaction for both the coffee addition as well as the dark malts which was consistent and just took a bit more preparation and planning ahead of time.
Seemed to keep a smooth taste and will see how it turns out. Color is great I think and would certainly do the attempt again next time without the steeping to compare would be fun.

Pulled a bottle out, chilled it in freezer then got pulled away to take my son to hockey then got delayed coming home and had a beer Slurpie as first pour!

Tasted really amazing though!

I wanted to put it on vanilla ice cream!

Was nice mild coffee, vanilla and cacao with the Warrior hop holding steady it was a VERY enjoyable drink.

I would certainly make this again and honestly not sure if I'd change anything next time.

Going for the 32oz pours tonight and inviting the wife this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_203327495.jpg
    IMG_20211217_203327495.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Pulled a bottle out, chilled it in freezer then got pulled away to take my son to hockey then got delayed coming home and had a beer Slurpie as first pour!

Tasted really amazing though!

I wanted to put it on vanilla ice cream!

Was nice mild coffee, vanilla and cacao with the Warrior hop holding steady it was a VERY enjoyable drink.

I would certainly make this again and honestly not sure if I'd change anything next time.

Going for the 32oz pours tonight and inviting the wife this time.
Works best when not frozen. I'm going to have the fellas from Pikes Peak brew club try this for our January Porter/Stout group. Some are more professional as far as tastings go so I'm excited to get some feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_20211218_173350092.jpg
    IMG_20211218_173350092.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Back