Supply store opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reproducer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of opening a new homebrew supply store and I'm looking for opinions. What are things you like about your local homebrew shop? Things you would change? Is there product you wished the carried but didn't? Service? Quality? Everything helps. Thanks

The closest thing I have in town carries everything but grains. That would obviously be my biggest complaint, however they are new and that is only part of the business. Do you plan to ship over the web? If so, try an keep shipping cost down, that I easily the BIGGEST complaint I have for the Internet home brew supply industry.

I have 3 now by me and here's my take and I why I continue to only use the one that has been around the longest:

Great supply of bins full of grain with scales on carts that allow me to weigh out my ingredients to the gram/oz and only buy what i need-they have just about every grain needed for any recipe, at least 90 varieties

I can buy hops in any increment I want from pre-packaged to bulk

Most varieties of yeast both liquid or dry and fresh

All adjuncts, flavorings, spices, water treatments, etc

Great supply of brewing equipment and keg supplies from used kegs to all the hardware, replacement parts, o-rings, etc as well as all the generally required necessities.

They offer classes, brew days, events, give discounts to AHA/Club members, knowledgeable staff, serve samples and have lots of Brewer's best kits for those interested in getting started.

The other two stores are newer and still learning and lacking in a lot of the above mentioned items but I'm sure they will figure it out as they grow.

My LHBS is awesome. I don't know what I'd change as they're still a building company, I guess they need more kits? But I don't use kits anymore, and if you contact them they'll build you a kit so I guess that's not a big deal.

I think the most important thing is to stay active on social media and listen and follow up with your customers. Keep yourself well stocked in store and this may sound kind of simple, but make sure you offer a service to crush grains for a customer, for a small upcharge you may be making someone's day because they don't have a grain mill at home.

I think the most important thing out of the gate is to carry the most common and popular grains as well a large variety of yeasts and hops. Make some beginner brewer kits and start building up your recipe kit log now. Those will be the things that help create long term customers, getting someone new who sticks around brewing because they have the right knowledge and know how.

Also having events will only help. Whether it's a home brew club, or classes, or brew days or whatever, they all help.

Treat every person who walks in the door like he/she is your best customer. Be helpful but not overbearing. You are selling commodities that can be purchased from numerous other places. It's the intangibles that can set you apart from the other places. Give the customer reasons to buy from YOU. People will often be willing to pay a little more if they are treated well and they know their business is appreciated.

Good luck with your new business, and keep us posted!

I'd say look at what the other shops in the area are doing, find out what they're doing wrong and target those areas.

I don't shop at my local, preferring to drive 50 miles away to a shop that deals honestly. Most places I've been in seem to do the bulk of their business online and it might be a good idea to plan on having one person who deals primarily with processing those orders.

Classes are a good idea, I also think its good to have some house recipes that you can grind up and sell as needed, kind of what AHS does.

Ae you going to offer wine kits? It's another market to consider.

Businesses are always looking for team building exercises for their management and regular employees. Offer brewing classes, there's a lot to be learned and its a fun way to blow a half day on the company dime. Plus, they'd get to split the beer.

But above all, honesty.

My LHBS is pretty good. THey have a ton of different grains, you can measure out exactly what you need, and even crush them yourself on site. A great hops selection, always kept in the fridge, and usually a good yeast selection. I understand that yeast comes and goes to what is shipped out and available, but sometimes I can't find the strain (or close enough) that I want.
They have plenty of equipment, parts and so forth, and the people know what they're talking about.
The only mail problem I have with them is that the store isn't particularly well organized. You have to search sometimes for that part or piece that you need.

They also do open houses a few times a year, they have people in brewing with various methods (all grain, partial, extract, and so forth,) and people can come, watch, ask questions, that sort of thing.
They are starting to do in house classes as well - I don't think I'm going to go to those even to see how they are, since they are more geared towards the beginners.

In my short time brewing I have favored one LHBS over another because they never made me feel like I was dumb for asking the questions I would ask and they were eager to give me information. So to make it short and sweet, treat every single customer like you are thrilled they want to take up home brewing/wine making. Don't treat them like you're better because you jumped on the home brew train long before or anything like that.

Be confident in your stock because you only sell fresh ingredients...always sell fresh and offer discounts on soon-to-expire items. :)

All of that. Especially treat customers like they are in control and help when needed and don't make them feel stupid when they ask stupid questions.

Also, the "local" homebrew supply also carries craft beer and wine for sale and always posts New Beer Friday with a short list of what's new in the store and they communicate with the customers with newsletters and each May they host seminars and a homebrew party in Grand Rapids. It's freekin awsum!

But mostly be nice to people and carry a good selection, especially of grains, hops and yeasts.

WOW GUYS!!!!!! All this stuff is great, keep it coming. We have no local brew shops in town so competition is not an issue but I want to be around for the long hall. I'm just in the start up phase and have a pretty good idea of how I want things and a lot of what you are saying is only pushing that stake in further that I'm doing the right things. KEEP THINGS COMING

Back