Super stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WestMichBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Bo Pils yesterday and experienced the first really stuck sparge I've had.
I was using the same cooler MT with the braided hose filter I've always used.
The grain bill was 90+% weyermann pilsner malt with a few minor additions like carapils, melanoidin, acidulated.
I double-crushed the grains per usual at my LHBS.
I'm not sure what caused the sticking...I mean it was coming out as a slow drizzle.

I tried stirring, I stuck my mash paddle in and brushed along the braided hose and more would spurt out but would close down very quickly. Usually a stir is all it takes to clear a momentary stuck sparge, but it became clear that I would never finish my brew day at that rate.
I dumped all the mash into a large pot and tried to clear out the line/valve, dumped the mash back in, but this didn't help either.
Luckily I still had a paint strainer bag so I dumped the entire mash in there and strained out the "first runnings".
After dumping all the grain back into the MT and adding the hot sparge water, all flowed fine.

Overall the mash produced decent numbers for all the farting around and time wasted, but I still am not sure why the stuck sparge occurred...I can't imagine that the higher temp of the sparge water was the determining factor. Maybe the higher volume and higher temp?

Anyone experience similar?

Note: I ended up with a LOT of trub from this batch. Lots of proteins and gunk into the fermenter.

Could be an issue with beta-glucans. Did you do any rests at an unusual temperature?

You say you milled at the LHBS so I assume you buy grains on an as needed basis and don't know which lot they came from?
This could be an issue with a particular malt lot, if that's the case chances are next time it'll be a different lot and the problem will go away.

Alright. I guess I can just chalk it up to that then.
I've had gummy issues with rye and know to use a dose of rice hulls with that or oats, but haven't heard of, nor experienced this with pilsner malt.

Rye is indeed a beta-glucan bomb. With regular malt it's a rare issue but it can happen. Unfortunately you won't find any values for beta-glucans even if you could access the malthouse's original analysis sheets.

My theory below may sound nuts, but before getting to it, know this: I had no issue with stuck sparges from the time my false bottom was new, for about 10-20 brews, then suddenly I was plagued by stuck sparges (I mean like 10 brews straight). After what I describe below I haven't had a single one.

I used to clean my false bottom with just hot water, reasoning that I was cleaning it right after use, so it would be fine. And it looked fine. Then I decided to soak it in PBW. After that, no stuck sparges. I have to wonder if having a film (even invisible to the naked eye) was enough to effectively make the holes slightly smaller, causing the stuck sparges.

This sounds nuts but I now PBW every time and haven't had a single issue since.

Back