Super Saison - Fast Fermentation WOW!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phendog

Reaction score
I made a Saison 10 days ago. BeerSmith said it would come in at 1.060OG, but it came in at 1.070. My efficiency is through the roof with my new Spike System, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, I made a 3L starter with WLP565 and pitched it (decanted) into the WELL aerated wort and let it roll in a glass carboy at house ambient temp (~72). BeerSmith said I needed 238billion cells. Given the pack of yeast I had was from June, the 3L starter gave me 374 billion. Not grossly over built, but probably on par with how I build all my starters these days.

I've heard a LOT of stories about how long WLP565 takes and how it's prone to stall. Well, it chewed through that 1.070 wort and was at 1.010 in 5 days.

I'm guessing it could probably drop a few more point, but do I risk loosing some character/body if I let this big Saison drop to much further? Thinking about cold crashing this and putting it in the keg now. Any thoughts?

I made a Saison 10 days ago. BeerSmith said it would come in at 1.060OG, but it came in at 1.070. My efficiency is through the roof with my new Spike System, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, I made a 3L starter with WLP565 and pitched it (decanted) into the WELL aerated wort and let it roll in a glass carboy at house ambient temp (~72). BeerSmith said I needed 238billion cells. Given the pack of yeast I had was from June, the 3L starter gave me 374 billion. Not grossly over built, but probably on par with how I build all my starters these days.

I've heard a LOT of stories about how long WLP565 takes and how it's prone to stall. Well, it chewed through that 1.070 wort and was at 1.010 in 5 days.

I'm guessing it could probably drop a few more point, but do I risk loosing some character/body if I let this big Saison drop to much further? Thinking about cold crashing this and putting it in the keg now. Any thoughts?

From what I've heard it's almost never a good idea to stop fermentation before it's completed. Yeast needs time to clean up after itself so you're not left with a bunch of unwanted byproducts that were produced during fermentation.

Leave it on the yeast. Saisons by definition are very highly attenuated beers. Those yeasts produce quite a bit of glycerol and thus a good amount of body and character. Don't worry if it finishes at 1.000

Give it more time. Yes, Saison yeasts are good attenuators, especially in warmer temps. 3711 is even more of a beast than 565. You need to give the yeast time to remove a few nasties after fermentation tapers. I would give it at least 10 days total. Patience grasshoppah and you shall be rewarded :)

Also, after its done, pretend someone with tuberculosis sneezed on everything that touched the beer. Clean and sanitize everything. I go as far as to spray Lysol around my brewing and fermenting areas.

Back