Super light blonde color for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier we were talking about vigorous boils and the +/- of them... Check out the video a couple posts down in this thread and tell me if you guys consider it to be vigorous or too vigorous or just right or what. I'll tell you for sure mine is not rolling that rapid at all. Somewhere smack in between simmering bubbles that what you see in the video is how I set mine

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=345229

The one in the video is strong. If your boil is/was in between the video one and a simmer then you're probably fine. If your wort is the right gravity going into the boil and you hit your gravity at the end of the boil then volume does not matter. If you do a one 1 gallon batch, 2.5 gallon batch and a 5 gallon batch of the same gravity wort and hit your final gravity in the same amount of time, your color in all three batches will be similar. If you're gravely over shooting your final gravity then I would worry about color; a point or two above or below isn't adding a major color contribution.

So, I guess my question is are you or were you hitting your target gravity on all those previous brews?

77% US pale 2-row
3% carafoam
5% sugar
15% flaked rice

Will be quite light.

Here, ill put it this way:
3-5% carafoam
15-25% flaked rice
5-10% sugar adjust % to get to abv
The rest pale malt

Whoops never linked the picture

image.jpg

Got the new kettle in today. And to answer the efficiency question, my numbers looked good coming out of the boil but I need to work on improving my efficiency post sparge. The first runnings look good but I'm not getting great results with the fly sparge set up.

Moving on up from that confined 7.5 gallon blichmann to the 10 gallon spike. Couldn't believe the size difference in just that 2.5 gallons

image.jpg

So here we are... First Sample out of the fermenter and going into the keg later tonight as I'm certainly satisfied with the outcome. As the goal of this project was to get my light color I'm definitely on the right track. The beer to the right is my current recipe which I'll post below and the one on the left is a piney DIPA with 2row/white wheat/marris otter for a color reference.

image.jpg

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.005
ABV: 5.8%
~ 5-5.5 gallon in the fermenter
~ 4.5-5 gallon kegged

6# western pale malt
6# white wheat
~1# rice hulls

60 min mash @149-150

60 min boil:
.5 oz Columbus FWH
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
.5 oz Centennial @ 5 min
.5 oz Simcoe @ 5 min
.5 oz Columbus @ FO (20 min rest)
.5 oz Amarillo @ FO
.5 oz Centennial @ FO
.5 oz Simcoe @ FO
2 oz Amarillo @ 170F whirlpool (20 min)
2 oz Centennial @ whirlpool
2 oz Simcoe @ whirlpool
2 oz Simcoe @ dry hop (day 4 into primary as ferm was finishing)
2 oz Amarillo @ dry hop ( day 7-11 )
2 oz Centennial @ dry hop ( day 7-11 )

Racked to keg on day 11 to carb and cold crash to be ready by day 14-21 mark.

Gigayeast Vermont IPA (conan) 1.5 L starter
60 sec pure O2 prior to pitch
63F days 1-4
66F days 4-6
68F for remainder of dry hopping

Water profile using EZ Water and 100% RO water
128 Ca
11 Mg
85 Cl
240 SO4
3 mL 88% lactic acid to get mash pH in the 5.2 range

So... First taste and I couldn't be happier. It's definitely an easy drinker with little to no bitterness at all. 1000x closer to HopHands than the clone I brewed a few months ago on this forum. This time with the increased hop amounts if definitely hits on aroma and flavor as well as a seriously muted malt presence. The Simcoe is a real late surprise on the palate and is very subtle but pleasant to wait for. Easily a rebrew for me and surely I'll be adding this recipe into my box labeled "tried and true."

Ps. The big ball shaped HF glass makes it look a little darker than it is because of the volume in that glass but I'll try and post a pic from a narrower pint glass to show how light it really is.

image.jpg

5# 2row
5# white wheat
3# Vienna
1#carapils
.5# caravienne
1#flaked oats
1# corn sugar

Bit of a riff off the BYO double sunshine recipe. I used to use the exact malt recipe for many of my DIPAs to try out different hops. But recently I've spilt the 2row in have and subbed in white wheat. It's given it an amazing body and haze to support the hop oils. I'm in love with this malt bill. Shown in the pic here is a citra/chinook/columbus DIPA... Today I brewed it again but with mosaic/cascade in the boil and plan on dry hopping soley with galaxy.

image.jpg

Back