Super attenuated cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibrigg

Reaction score
I just bottled 5 gallons of cream ale after 10 days in primary. The OG was 1.048 (good to go for cream ale). But, the final gravity is 1.002. If I calculated things correctly, the yeast attenuation was about 96%, and the ABV is about 6%-- high for this style. My question is, why so much attenuation? The ferment was actively bubbling until the end. (I know I should have waited a few more days to bottle, but I was impatient). I used 1 package Safale 05 yeast pitched dry. The grain bill was: pale malt 10 lbs; Flaked Corn 1 lb; Cane sugar 1 lb. Any insight would be welcome!

I would guess that your mash temps were a little low (~148ºish)? Fermentation temp on the high end (72ºish)? Combined with ~8% sugar, I can see how it would attenuate that low. I bet it'll be crisp and tasty though!

Correct on the mash temp... It was 148. The fermentation temp was probably 68-70. I tasted it and it seemed OK for this stage. I was wondering if the high attenuation would rob the beer of body, but I guess it will be light for spring!

Well it looks like a nice Cream Ale recipe, so there shouldn't be a whole lot of body anyway. I am just about to kill a keg of a similar recipe (w/ Minute rice in the mash instead of corn) that I've really enjoyed. It went from 1.049 to 1.007.

Update. the cream ale turned out very clear and light. I'm not crazy about the slight taste of corn (at least that's what I think it is). I think I'll halve the corn next time. Or maybe I'll try rice, as you did in your recipe. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back