Sunken Oat Treasure Chest Stout - Are my numbers right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopperfirestarter

Reaction score
I recently brewed my 6th brew. 1st ALMOST AG recipe. Notice there is 1lb of DME.
Can anyone look over my numbers and give me their .002 gravity points / 2 cents and help me figure if I am close?

Batch Size 5.5 Gallons
7 Gallon Boil for 60 minutes in two pots
Batch Sparge

Malts and Grains
4lbs American 2 Row Pale
2 lbs Marris Otter 2 Row
1 lb Munich Malt
1 lb Briess Pilsen Light DME
8 oz Roasted Barley
7 oz Flaked Oats
6 oz Biscuit Malt
6 oz Chocolate Malt US
5 oz Crystal Malt 120L
6 oz Quacker Quick Oats

Hopping Schedule:
SUMMIT .50 OZ 60 MINUTES
WILLAMETTE .50 OZ 30 MINUTES

Yeast:
US - 04

Pre Boiled Wort V x Pre Boil Gravity = Points
7 x 1.037 = 259 points

Points / After Boil Wort V = OG
259 / 5.5 = 1.047

OG – FG = ? x 131 = ABV
1.047 – 1.010 = 37 x 131 = 4.9% ABV

Pre Boil Gravity / OG = Efficiency
37 / 47 = 79% Efficiency

Thank you!

anyone? tomorrow im brewing my 1st All Grain! I was going to mash in the oven, thats what i have been doing, then sparge in the zap pap style, with a bunch of holes drilled in one bucket placed in another, but my LHBS said that if i am getting at leat 70% efficiency with batch sparging, that i should stick with that?

Not sure what you mean by 'close'. :)

That grain bill, with that volume, and that efficiency.......will yes produce a 1.049 beer..if that is the question.

If you're getting 79% there's probably no reason to abandon the process.

so I bottled this 1 week ago and i know the 3 weeks at 70F minimum, but i like to try one each week to taste it evolve. today was 1 week and i tried one. I was nervous because the sample i had at bottling was really bitter and not to my liking, but what i sampled today was sooooo different. 1 week later it was pretty well carbonated and tasted, to me, really good. i cant wait for another few weeks to see where it goes!

Back