Summit SBC-500SSPST (SBC-500)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullofdust

Reaction score
Hi all. Newbie here. Been homebrewing for a couple years now and wanted to contribute my recent experiences into the world of kegging with a specific Summit model:

When I was researching kegerators, I kept being drawn to the Summit SBC-500SSPST. When I went and checked a bunch out in person, it looked to be built a bit sturdier than the slightly less expensive Haier and other models. However, I couldn't find much info on it in the form of actual user reviews/experiences so I thought I'd put down my thoughts in case others are looking at the same model.

I bought from BeverageFactory.com as they seemed to have the best price on the unit and the're local to San Diego, so I was able to go pick it up in person and discuss the different models with a salesperson.

Short story, is that so far its a great unit. It's all stainless except the sides which look stainless but the salesman told me they aren't. The cold plate is huge compared to a lot of less expensive models, and I have it set at 39-40 degrees with the thermostat under halfway up. This thing gets COLD. You would probably freeze your beer if you cranked it all the way up. This is a great unit if you want 3 taps but don't have the room for a keezer or full-size fridge. Or if you're like me and SWMBO required that it "look pretty" if it was going to be in the house.

Here are the things you need to know before deciding on this model:

1. Like many kegerators, the stock configuration is a 2.5" single tap tower. If you want to go to a double or triple tap 3" tower, you're going to have to drill 4 new holes into the top of the unit. This was a little nerve-wracking for me as I'm only kinda handy and I was drilling into my brand new shiny kegerator. I don't know for sure if this voids your warranty since you're not really modding any of the working parts of the fridge, but I'd imagine it does.

If you're going with a bigger tower (I got a 3 tap), you will need to drill, no avoiding it. However, there are two options for how you attach the tower. The first is to drill all the way through to the inside of the unit, then use long machine screws/nuts/washers to secure the tower. There are a couple hurdles to jump in this method. The first is that machine screws in the diameter and length you'll need are very difficult to find. Beverage Factory includes some 6mm diameter, 3" long machine screws. They fit the holes of the tower perfectly, and would probably be great for another unit. However, the Summit is 4"+ from the top to the inside of the unit (lots of insulation & plastic on the inside). The next issue with this method is that the compressor hump is in the top rear of the unit. If you center the new tower over the pre-existing hole, you will drill into the compressor hump. The good news, is that even with 3 liquid lines, you can move the tower further towards the front of the unit (still over the original hole, just not centered). The 3" tower is big enough that the lines can still go through the hole in the top without being bent/kinked and the flange will still cover the original pre-drilled holes, so it'll look clean.

The second method for attaching the tower is the route I went. Since there is wood underneath the stainless steel top, you can use wood screws to anchor the tower. You will still have to drill into the top, just not all the way through. You can drill into the stainless and stop once you get through to the wood. Then just drive the screws into the wood underneath. Mine seems to be attached very sturdily this way and I'm not too concerned about the screws pulling out. The Summit actually comes with wood screws to attach the original tower, so I figure it'll be all good long term.

2. Another thing to consider is that this unit will hold 3 corny kegs, but not of all types. As the compressor hump is at the top rear, there is plenty of floor space. I have 3 kegs, a 5lb co2 tank, regulator, and 3 product secondary regulator, and all fit fine. However, because the compressor hump is on the top rear, it won't fit 3 standard ball lock kegs due to the height. It will fit 3 pin lock, 3 new ball lock (single handle), or some combination of those. Two kegs fit up front and one in the back. The one in the back is the only that can't be tall. Bvrgelements.com had a really good deal on new (scratch & dent) ball locks, so I grabbed some of those and they fit great. Also, as an aside, the scratch & dents were really worth it and in great shape (no actual dents, just scratches).

That's all the details I can think of at the moment. But I'm happy to answer questions if anyone is considering the same model.

Back