Summer Stout/Schwarzbier/Black Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I know I'm bastardizing styles here but I'm essentially looking to create a nice sessionable dark beer for the end of summer here in NC. Here's what I'm thinking, any feedback would be great:

Malt Weight (6 Gal) %
2-Row 8 80.00%
German Munich 1.5 15.00%
Carafa III 0.5 5.00%

Hop Weight(oz) Addition Time
Hallertaur 1 60
Hallertaur 1 15

Yeast
WLP029 Kolsch

Ive been pretty hung up on making black IPAs saisons, or anything else that seemingly defies its appearance and is easy to drink with just a hint of roast.

ive found that you usually need about 1lb of any dark roasted malt to get an actual black color. Midnight wheat and blackprinz work best since htey are less roasty and slightly darker than carafa. But carafa was the original de-bittered black malt and works ok

Be sure to do a mashout to get the last of the color out of your malts. I've had a number of black IPAs that were going to be brown IPAs until I did the 10min mashout at 168F. Ive tried different techniques to minimize the roast character in the final beer and the best way to do this is to divide your crushed black malt in half. Use half in the mash as usual and half to add just at mashout. My last black IPA came out damn near perfect with 1/2lb in the mash and 1/2 at mashout. For the OG calculations I didnt include the other 1/2lb as contributing to the OG

Looks good, very similar to a Schwarz beer recipe I make. Pretty much just replace the 2 row with pilsner.

Back