Summer saison!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HudsonHB

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good saison recipe. Something that would taste good on a hot summers day. Ideas please, thanks. (extract only)

I used Jamil Z's recipe, and scaled it down so the ABV was around 5%.

Here is the original

Jamil Saison

6 Gallons
OG-1.060
FG-1.008

IBU 27 Rager
ABV 6.9%

Pilsner 10.5lbs
Wheat 340g
Munich 340g
Caramunich (C60) 2oz
1lb sugar

Mash 147 60min.

Tettnanger Hops
60min. 26.5
0min. flavor

Used Wyeast 3711, so I dropped the sugar and it fermented out nicely.

elproducto said:
I used Jamil Z's recipe, and scaled it down so the ABV was around 5%.

Here is the original

Jamil Saison

6 Gallons
OG-1.060
FG-1.008

IBU 27 Rager
ABV 6.9%

Pilsner 10.5lbs
Wheat 340g
Munich 340g
Caramunich (C60) 2oz
1lb sugar

Mash 147 60min.

Tettnanger Hops
60min. 26.5
0min. flavor

Used Wyeast 3711, so I dropped the sugar and it fermented out nicely.

Thanks I'll only be making a 5 gal. batch, I'll just scale down.

elproducto said:
I don't have my notes with me, but I believe I scaled it down to an OG of 1.054... but the 3711 finished it out at 1.003!!!

Do you have anything with an extract rather then mashing?

No, but a quick google search found this from another forum

This is the Saison recipe from Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer's Brewing Classic Styles (extract version):
OG 1.060
FG 1.008
IBU 27
ABV 6.9%

It is kind of impractical to use LME in the method below unless you have some re-sealable containers. If you don't want to go through the trouble, I would just use the Pilsner LME (might have to use a bit more) and Cane Sugar and maybe steep with some wheat and munich malt. This will leave the beer hazy, but it will give you some of the flavor and color you're looking for.
Extract:
7.7 Lbs Pilsner LME
1.0 Lbs Cane Sugar
.75 lbs Wheat LME
.5 lbs Munich LME

Steeping Grains:
2 oz Caramunich 60L You can probably just use Crystal here if you can't find caramunich.

Hallertau 4% AA 1.7 Oz at 60 minutes
Hallertau 4% AA .75 Oz at 0 minutes

Yeast:
White Labs WLP565 or Wyeast 3724. Make a 2 liter starter and ferment at around 70 degrees, ramping the temp up to around 80 over the course of the fermentation if you have the ability. If not, you may get a little less attenuation, but it will still be good.
A hint in the book says if your attenuation gets stuck, add a packet of S-05 or a starter of 1056.

Thanks I'll only be making a 5 gal. batch, I'll just scale down.

It is listed as a 6 gallon batch so that you can leave behind half a gallon in the kettle and half a gallon in the fermenter and still end up with 5 gallons of finished beer.

Back