Summer of '84

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 25, and just started dating the woman who would become my wife. We're still married.

In '84, there wasn't much "craft" beer to speak of, though I knew there were some better alternatives to BMC. I thought Beck's and Guinness were hot shiat. Still drank Stroh's, Old Style and Old Mil with buddies and/or when I was low on dough.

I was 15 at the time and having a blast. Riding and racing my Schwinn Sting, GT and Haro BMX bikes, Smokin weed and listening to Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Black Sabbath and AC/DC. Also waiting to get my license soon and getting a car. Some of the best times of my life were between the ages 13-20.

Not a care in the world back then...

Was 21, coming off my 3rd Westpac.

Stationed at K-Bay in Hawaii with Weapons Company 3/3.

Good times to say the least.

Ken

I almost forgot about the best thing that happened in the summer of 1984.

1984-world-series1.png

I was 18 in 84.....can't really remember anything specific about that year, other than doing a lot of under aged drinking. There was a drive thru liquor store just across the bridge in Kentucky that never asked for ID. I'll bet I took a whiz or puked on just about every dusty gravel road in Southern Indiana.

I was 27, ending my first job out of school. Learned more than I wanted to know about bankruptcy law. Playing with the first 2 kids, who were 2 and 6 months at the time.

I was 12 years old and running my first real business (Shasta Bullet Manufacturing), learning how to drink beer with my new step dad and his brothers, enjoy Jack Daniels, run a chain saw and shoot my 9mm in competition with the Shasta Shooters. I was learning how to kiss girls and skip school. Ohhh how things have changed..

I don't make bullets anymore..LOL

WOW the memories of our youth!!

Cheers
Jay

Pawn, Mrs. Whut was looking over my shoulder this evening and got a kick out of this. Thanks for sharing.

I'm happy to share. I have no shame.

My wife and I were married Valentines day, 1987. Our wedding song was Only You by The Platters. Here's an early version of it for her, Summer of '84. Passedpawn on vocals of course, Greg on hacksaw/violin, the other greg on the crutch/backup vocals. I think you can see the big Hazardous Waste stickers on our shirts in this video (I took them from the place I was working). Video from my lame trailer.

I'm guessing that Mrs. Whut will get a kick out of this valentine msg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to share. I have no shame.

My wife and I were married Valentines day, 1987. Our wedding song was Only You by The Platters. Here's an early version of it for her, Summer of '84. Passedpawn on vocals of course, Greg on hacksaw/violin, the other greg on the crutch/backup vocals. I think you can see the big Hazardous Waste stickers on our shirts in this video (I took them from the place I was working). Video from my lame trailer.

I'm guessing that Mrs. Whut will get a kick out of this valentine msg.

That was a great song.

was...

;)

I was six and enfatuated with garbage pail kids (or maybe that was the following summer?) and the latest summer blockbuster...The Karate Kid.

Turned 18 July 29

graduated from High School:rockin:
Getting ready for college:fro:

Reading George Orwell's 1984 in school had a real negative impact on my views toward the future.

just turned 48 today

Boy does time fly.... where did 30 years go

Met my wife that summer. Drank a ton of Old Milwaukee. Living in a trailer alone (2 roomates had just joined the Marines, I would follow soon).

One of my friends had a camcorder so we'd drink beer and make music videos (MTV was hot at that time). Guitar = tennis racket, microphone = crutch, drum = lampshade, and keyboard = desk. BTW, I'm the shirtless one with the white disposable pants. Laugh away, I know I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPG7RZLVqY

Ah yes, Chuck Berry, 1958! I was two, had been watching Fangio kick booty in F1 for a year already. Pop used to sneak his dad's guitar behind the barn learning to play it. He loved Chuck. I grooved on this new music called rock-n-roll. Flash forward to 1984. I was in college a year already, married for 7. Two boys, 6 & 7 with a 1 year old daughter. I was 28. I'd been laid-off from Ford for about a year already. Wound up losing our first house. I was still making wine as a skinny wasted broad shouldered long blond haired freakazoid smoking weed with my wine. Still drove my 1974 Pinto super stock i'd built. The turtle-back version as we called it. I really need to scan my old pics of then & now. Been married for 37 years. where the hell did the time go? Every time I hear Cats In The Cradle now, I hear stuff about two of my five sons. We need some then & now pics in this thread. I gotta work on that.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only 5, but started my downward spiral into the world of the jaded. I'll spare the details for fear of derails. hahaha! still, I have a love/hate thing with the 80's. 84-85 was when I started listening to Johnny Cash.

I turned 20 that summer... Living in Portland Oregon, driving forklift in a warehouse for $7.50/hr and going to technical college. Quite unremarkable...

Became a father, commissioned in the Army and spent the rest of the year trying to survive my Officer Basic Course. I really don't remember a lot of that year except exhaustion!

I bought a 68 Chevy pickup shortly before I graduated HS that year, light blue original paint, still had a little gloss to it, 283 3 on the tree (I later put a Hurst floor shifter in it), not a spot of rust, I'm thinking it had around 60,000 on it, ran like a scalded dog, gave a guy $250 and mowed his yard that summer for the truck!

I saw an episode of Counting Cars where they paid like, $3500 for a very similar 68 Chevy that was missing the doors, drive train, and didn't have a bed on it.......

Wish I still had that truck!

In the summer of '84 I'd been in the Army ~ 3 yrs and just finished a year in Korea heading to Tx. Getting away from OB and Oly headed to Lone Star. Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

In 1984 I thought that everything was possible.

The year before (1983) I'd just started out in the financial industry selling Securities ... so for me it was work, work, work.
I literally didn't take a vacation for over 10 years from that point.

Just bought my first suit (one that I actually went in on my own and got measured and bought). Bought my first pair of black brogues. Even though now I've got probably 40 pair of shoes, I've still got that pair (been re-soled 4 times ... their longevity is a testament to using shoe-trees). Got into hock with my first fancy car (a Lincoln).

The movie Wall Street did not come out still for a few years, but our heads were already there when it did.
For a lot of us from that era it was not whether you'd eventually get a job in Investment Banking but *where* you'd get a job in Investment Banking. Looking back I can really see we so drank the kool-aid.

Lived in our business clothes. If we went out for a drink after work it was in our business suits and just meant taking off the tie and shaving again. Constantly smelled like Drakkar Noir or Polo or Kouros ... usually Drakkar.

My biggest distraction was dating, didn't have a lot of time for it but "burned the candle at both ends" making time. Got a constant stream of calls at the office from girls I knew ... oh man the "spigot" was wide-open. Now thinking back on it - it was incredible. When you're young you just don't understand how exceptional that time in your life is ... and by the time you do realize it; it's only a memory.

28 years old, 10 years out of the U.S.M.C. and prepping to get married on 6-2-84. Still married...
Back then it was Stroh's beer, with the occasional Becks.

Back