Summer Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmario47

Reaction score
I need some feedback on this recipe that I am going to brew this saturday. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

5 gal batch
Summer Ale

6 lbs Pilsner malt
3 lbs Wheat malt
.5 lbs Honey malt
.5 lbs Cara Pils malt

1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1 oz Hallertauer @ 5 min

.5 oz Dried Orange peel @ 5 min

Yeast: Not sure yet, probably German Ale or Witbier Yeast

Single infusion type mash resting at 152
Batch Sparge at 170

I'm going for a very drinkable sweet and crisp lawnmower beer. Any other ideas?

leave out the orange peel and use the german ale yeast and you have a nice kolsch! Kolsch is a great summertime beer for sure. I just put a 5 gallon keg of it on the gas. It won't last long.

I think you have a solid recipe, and it would be good as a wit or a kolsh. No offense to permo, but I would say keep the orange peel in even if you use the german yeast. Looks like solid recipe for a good summer beer.

Also, like HokieBrewer said, mash it in nice and low. It will be just the way you want it :)

Happy Brewing
Kyle

Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone think that and addition of 1 lb of honey in secondary fermentation would go well? Or would it be too sweet

If you are adding honey during the primary, it wont necessarily make it sweet, but the honey flavor is very pronounced I am drinking on an American Honey Amber that I did just that on, and the honey smell/taste is potent. I used Orange Blossom Honey

I think the honey flavour will depend very much on what honey you use. I've had honey beers in the past that have no defining honey taste.

If you want a solid honey taste, I highly recommend Orange Blossom Honey :) its delicious. I use it in both my Honey Rye Saison and and my American Honey Amber.

Back