sulfur taste. Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oshwa

Reaction score
Having some issues......I brewed a beer and used some questionable rinsed yeast but did not use a started when I should have. It did not ferment. I pitched some fresh yeast and it fermented. The beer ended up with a sulfur taste. I thought maybe it was the roasted barley but now I am thinking it may have been the yeast. I ended up rinsing the yeast and was going to use it today. I noticed it has a slight sulfur smell. Should I not use that yeast??? I tried the beer again today. The sulfur taste (burnt match) has decreased. It went from undrinkable to just drinkable now (if that's an appropriate measure).....

Some yeasts do produce a sulphur smell during fermentation. A to short primary will allow some of this taste to reach the bottle. The taste may fade with bottle aging.
I can't remember the names of the two yeasts mentioned. I think they may have been English ale style yeasts.

Latest posts

Back