Sulfur spray timing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashdar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In apples, you generally don't want to spray sulfur when it will be hot for the next ~ days (sources vary from 80F to 90F upper limit).

Also in apples, sulfur and oil or captan is phytotoxic.

Is there similar guidance for hops? I haven't found a good spray guide yet.

Id say sulphur and oil is no go. especially that hop leaf is very thin, delicate will not take much abuse. look at what just warm wind can do to it.
I spayed wettable sulphur the other day to get rid of mites. plants were ok, but i thought i saw a thirstly look about them, as if the sulphur was drying the leaves.

Hmm. I will stick to test sprays until I find the limits.

In apples sulfur over 80F is not great and over 90F is very not great.

I have some other apple sprays, but copper seems not great for beer, and captan/myclobutanil may hurt wild bees. (I have read bees check out hop cones despite limited payoff?)
Do people just not spray? Maybe I'm anticipating problems without need.

I'd give wettable sulphur a go. It certainly cleared up the mites and no visible damage 2 weeks after spry now. new shoots look good. I'm growing them in pots indoors it gets quite hot in the window too with the low sun angle here at the moment

Back