Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tre9er

Reaction score
I have what was supposed to be a belgian blonde that I brewed last weekend. I noticed once fermentation got going (krausen) strong there was a lot of sulfur, much more than I've ever noticed before. It's still throwing tons of SO4 right now, days after I first noticed it.

I *think* I pitched half a cake of WLP500, but it's remotely possible that I harvested my WLP810 from a while back into a mason jar that previously had "500" on the lid, and perhaps I accidentally just pitched lager yeast into this, then fermented it at 62-64*. I know steam lager yeast is usually fine at ale temps, but I wonder if this would explain the amount of sulfur I'm getting.

Usually, even with the steam yeast, I ferment lagers in the low 50's.

I have a beer fermenting with WLP810 right now at around 54F and it produced some sulfur the first few days. I've also used WLP500, but don't remember if it produced any sulfur. I want to say it did. Either way, it ages out. Looks like you'll have to wait and see if you end up with a steam beer or a Belgian.

I have a beer fermenting with WLP810 right now at around 54F and it produced some sulfur the first few days. I've also used WLP500, but don't remember if it produced any sulfur. I want to say it did. Either way, it ages out. Looks like you'll have to wait and see if you end up with a steam beer or a Belgian.

Yeah, which should be incredibly obvious when it's finished. The chimay strain is very unique

Update: took gravity today. 1.010. Beer is very cloudy, orange-y despite only having pale ale malt. Not much krausen sludge on top edges of fermenter, just very thin ring. Taste is mostly plain, some malt and yeast, no discernable Belgian characteristics, some hops, too. Starting to think I mislabeled my yeast and pitched the lager yeast.

FYI, this never did subside. I let it age until mostly clear, but it still has slight sulfur. Wife likes it anyways, and it's definitely the belgian yeast (ie. didn't use the wrong one). Oh well.

Back