How to know if fermentation is complete and ready for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobFlott

Reaction score
I am brewing a 5 gallon batch of 'steam' beer using WLP810 (San Francisco Steam yeast) and fermenting in the garage with a steady temperature between 58 - 62 degrees. I pitched the yeast starter 7 days ago and thereafter I monitored the 'burps per minute' visible from the airlock. The BPM fell at a consistent rate and today is down to 3.5. My question is at what point (BPM) is fermentation complete? I am guessing between .5 - 1, but welcome suggestions.

'BPM' is not something to go by. Have you taken gravity readings? As a rule of thumb; if it's burping often enough to even use a 'BPM' measurement, it is not even near done. CO2 production is only the beginning of the journey.... Patience young Padawan. :mug:

Thanks, but no, I haven't dropped the hydrometer in yet. I agree...patience 🍺

Normally, I try to avoid posting a recommendation to spend cash, but only when another option is available. While I haven't brewed a Steam Beer myself, I've yet to try any beer at all, that won't taste much better with well more than 7 days in the fermenter. Seriously: Buy a hydrometer now! ...in the meantime, just wait for the steam-beer brewers to weigh in here on times to help you decide, but really; try and get one before you brew your next batch..maybe post what country you're in so others can advise on the cheapest place to buy a decent one. :mug:

Airlock activity means nothing. And just because a beer is finished fermenting doesn't mean it is ready to bottle. It does mean you can bottle, but you'd likely have a better beer if you waited longer for the yeast to clean up and as much as possible settle out of solution.

Back when I used clear fermenters, this was one of the requirements before even thinking of bottling. Being able to see across the trub layer to the other side.

IMG-20211121-WA0000.jpg

Usually this took 1 to 2 weeks after fermentation had finished. Fermentation on this batch was probably finished after the fourth day. But this didn't clear up to this point until about 15 days later.

With conical FV's, I use a sight glass and wait till I see the same clarity in the beer.

Airlock activity means nothing. And just because a beer is finished fermenting doesn't mean it is ready to bottle. It does mean you can bottle, but you'd likely have a better beer if you waited longer for the yeast to clean up and as much as possible settle out of solution.

Back when I used clear fermenters, this was one of the requirements before even thinking of bottling. Being able to see across the trub layer to the other side.

Usually this took 1 to 2 weeks after fermentation had finished. Fermentation on this batch was probably finished after the fourth day. But this didn't clear up to this point until about 15 days later.

With conical FV's, I use a sight glass and wait till I see the same clarity in the beer.
Probably only works (worked?) with pale beers!

Let it sit for 3 weeks. Just set it and forget it. It's good insurance to know everything is done and ready for the next step.

I've got TILT as a gift. My Koelsch went from 1,046 to 1,007 and stays this low for third day. I guess fermentation is done. I saw the gravity in my phone app without opening the fermenter every day.

Probably only works (worked?) with pale beers!

Why is that?

I'm about to start doing some dark porters. Don't they get clear up too and most everything drop out of suspension?

Even if I can't see to the other side of the trub layer, I'd think I'd be able to shine a light through it and if the light diffuses a lot, then I'll know a lot of stuff is still suspended.

Back