Sulfur smell is normal... right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckarsanac

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday, I started my first hard Cider. It's a small one gallon batch. I went to my local brew supply store and asked the salesman for a yeast for cider. Well, I think he mainly does wine, because he pulled a sheet off of a shelf, (literally) blew some dust off of it, traced his finger across the list of yeasts and said, "'They' recommend this." (I don't know who "They" is...)

SO I come home with a packet of Lalvin Kl-VIII6. ( I don't know if they are L's, I's or 1's). 1 gallon apple cider, 8oz of honey, tsp of nutrient brought up to 140F for 20 mins; reconstituted yeast for 15 mins in 95F water. Cooled must to 60F. SG~1.06 (maybe low?) Then I pitched the yeast and shook the bejeezus out of it. (Every once and awhile, taking the cap off the bottle to let more air in). I put on the airlock and place it in my basement closet whose temperature is a steady 70F.

Now, I've brewed some beer and a few meads, but, literally, 3 hours later and it's bubbling like crazy! This morning, even more so! AND it stinks terrible of sulfur (or Sulfur Dioxide....)

1. Is this normal? I'm quite anal about my disinfection processes, so I don't think it's contaminated...
2. Is it just the yeast? I've never had something start to bubble so quickly...

Thanks!!

It's probably just the yeast; I wouldn't worry about it. As for the quick start, I have had ciders start bubbling within five minutes of pitching the yeast.

It's most likely the yeast stressing out, There's very little nutrients for the yeast in honey. Add another teaspoon of nutrient to it, dissolved in a little water. Oh, and there's no need to heat anything before you add it together. Heating apple juice has a chance to set in pectins which cause cloudiness, and heating the honey will make you lose aromas and tastes.

Now this is totally unscientific, and as Revvy would no doubt say trust your hydrometer and not this or any "alternative" method, but I have noticed that when the apple cider starts to smell more like, well, apples, and less like your cat brought home its latest kill for your inspection, fermentation is well on its way to winding down and you're not that far from enjoying the fruits of your labor. Which is good because up to that point I wouldn't put it anywhere near my mouth. I'm guessing that's about the point at which the yeast are about done peeing in the pool and are spending their last days on earth cleaning up the mess from the party.

All that to say this too shall pass; have patience and you too shall soon be a cider-sipper...

Now this is totally unscientific, and as Revvy would no doubt say trust your hydrometer and not this or any "alternative" method, but I have noticed that when the apple cider starts to smell more like, well, apples, and less like your cat brought home its latest kill for your inspection, fermentation is well on its way to winding down and you're not that far from enjoying the fruits of your labor. Which is good because up to that point I wouldn't put it anywhere near my mouth. I'm guessing that's about the point at which the yeast are about done peeing in the pool and are spending their last days on earth cleaning up the mess from the party.

All that to say this too shall pass; have patience and you too shall soon be a cider-sipper...

Yeah it does seem that the sulphur is thrown off somewhere midway in the cycle, and once it passes it does start smelling like it should, i.e. like apples.

I have found that keeping the temperature down to 60F or so, I don't get the rhino farts.
Otherwise, it is pretty normal, and it does pass in time.

I don't usually get any rhino farts either.. I've only had it on one batch of apfelwein.

As was mentioned above, Rhino Farts at the beginning of fermentation is (generally) a good thing, because it usually clears up toward the end. Its the stank at the end of fermentation that you need to look out for. I get that from some wine yeasts.

For the win!!!!

There's nothing wrong, it's a common part of making apfelwine and even lagers. It's a common byproduct of the process. It doesn't stick around.

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd tack on to this one about rhino farts. How long does this generally last? I started on Thursday and when I woke up for work this morning the area reeks. One problem is that my room is in an unfinished basement (cheap living with friends FTW) and so are my carboys. I read elsewhere that I could rack and aerate to get it to go away. Any truth to this?

Rather than start a new thread I figured I'd tack on to this one about rhino farts. How long does this generally last? I started on Thursday and when I woke up for work this morning the area reeks. One problem is that my room is in an unfinished basement (cheap living with friends FTW) and so are my carboys. I read elsewhere that I could rack and aerate to get it to go away. Any truth to this?

If it's H2S, then racking and aerating might help save it. However, I doubt that it's that severe and I think it'll be fine. A teaspoon of yeast nutrient will go a long way to helping this- stressing yeast tends to stink! You can dissolve a teaspoon of the yeast nutrient in some of the cider and stir it back in and that will give the yeast some help.

If it's H2S, then racking and aerating might help save it. However, I doubt that it's that severe and I think it'll be fine. A teaspoon of yeast nutrient will go a long way to helping this- stressing yeast tends to stink! You can dissolve a teaspoon of the yeast nutrient in some of the cider and stir it back in and that will give the yeast some help.

Thats what I figured. I did add 1/2 tsp of white labs yeast nutrient before adding the yeast. I'll add some more in addition to racking it into my 5 gallon carboy. My roomie said it smells like there is a "mystery poo" in the basement somewhere.

Ugh, I made a couple 5 gallon batches of cider and I can't get the stink to go away. I guess I could rack it again with some more nutrients.

Thats what I figured. I did add 1/2 tsp of white labs yeast nutrient before adding the yeast. I'll add some more in addition to racking it into my 5 gallon carboy. My roomie said it smells like there is a "mystery poo" in the basement somewhere.

lol those damn mystery poos! Getcha every time.

Ugh, I made a couple 5 gallon batches of cider and I can't get the stink to go away. I guess I could rack it again with some more nutrients.

Let it brew a bit longer and see if the smell goes away first. You could be too impatient :)

A teaspoon of yeast nutrient will go a long way to helping this- stressing yeast tends to stink! You can dissolve a teaspoon of the yeast nutrient in some of the cider and stir it back in and that will give the yeast some help.

I'm currently making a modified batch of Apfelwein, (modified = no added corn sugar), with OG of 1.041 and fermenting at 62 degrees F. I followed the procedure for rehydrating the yeast, Montrachet, with Proferm and then feeding Fermaid-K at the beginning of fermentation. I checked the SG today, 2 days of fermentation, and its at 1.034 so it's not ready for the 1/3 nutrient feeding BUT it's started to emit a pretty potent sulfur stink.
Should I go ahead feed the additional Fermaid-K now because it's showing signs of stressed yeast???

Thanks,
Andy

Latest posts

Back