Suggestions on immersion chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ylbc

Reaction score
I do 3 to 3.5 gallon batches in a unibrau v3, and was looking at moving to an immersion chiller instead of the plate chiller to deal with the hoppy styles I want to make. I was looking at the jaded brewing King cobra chiller. I liked it because it has a low profile so most of of the chiller coils would be in the wort which is important given the limited height of the wort that I have to work with. I measured and only have about 4 inches of space above the heating element to where the top of the wort will be.

Do you guys thi k this will be overkill, and should I just go with the standard copper immersion chiller they have on their site:

https://jadedbrewing.com/products/three-eighths-25ft
The price difference is pretty stark, about $125. So with such a small batch do you think it will be overkill?

I mean the Jaded chillers are amazing and I'd recommend them any day. I have the Hydra and it's been well worth the money to me.

+1 on the Hydra. It's larger and well worth the money if you decide you want to make larger batches in the future. I have one, and it's AMAZING.

I would prefer using a little less expensive immersion chiller and using the extra money to set up a utility pump - cooler - ice bath system for chilling. Ice cold water will get your wort chilled faster than a bigger immersion chiller with most tap waters.
I went that route first, but after deciding to move onto bigger batches, I had to buy a larger chiller. You can get a cooler, a pump and an ice bath system for like $50.

Thanks everyone, what about getting the normal copper chiller on their site? Still think its better to just go with the King Cobra?

I would prefer using a little less expensive immersion chiller and using the extra money to set up a utility pump - cooler - ice bath system for chilling. Ice cold water will get your wort chilled faster than a bigger immersion chiller with most tap waters.
I made my own chiller and use the cooler with pump. I use about four gallons for cleaning water (very hot) then throwing in a big bag of ice In the remaining water in the cooler. Works for me
🍺🍺

The chiller is an investment for sure. If there's even a possibility of you moving up to 5 gallons, I say go with the bigger one. Spend the money one time. But it's easy for me to spend money that isn't mine lol.

If I could buy one again, I'd go with Jaded. Made my own long ago; it works. Pump and ice is too fussy for me.

I do 3 to 3.5 gallon batches in a unibrau v3, and was looking at moving to an immersion chiller instead of the plate chiller to deal with the hoppy styles I want to make. I was looking at the jaded brewing King cobra chiller. I liked it because it has a low profile so most of of the chiller coils would be in the wort which is important given the limited height of the wort that I have to work with. I measured and only have about 4 inches of space above the heating element to where the top of the wort will be.

Do you guys thi k this will be overkill, and should I just go with the standard copper immersion chiller they have on their site:

https://jadedbrewing.com/products/three-eighths-25ft
The price difference is pretty stark, about $125. So with such a small batch do you think it will be overkill?

Just remember, when using an immersion chiller, to agitate the chiller around in the wort occasionally rather than letting it sit in one spot. You don't have to do this continually, but swish it around a bit in a circle, let it set for maybe 3-5 minutes, and repeat. You will chill the wort faster since you will prevent an insulating layer of colder wort forming around the chiller while the rest of it remains at a higher temperature. I learned this a long time ago before I moved to a counterflow chiller and then to my Duodiesel plate chiller.

Back