Suggestions on a Fall beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TySmith40

Reaction score
Looking to brew a good Fall seasonal beer and was wondering what recipes other brewers were making for the fall or knew of any good fall recipes

A heavy sweet brown ale with maple, Lyle's, or molasses. Perhaps also a hoppy amber.

Nothing says fall like Oktoberfest! That's one of my favorite styles for that time of year. I also like the Fat Squirrel clone that I have posted- it's a really nice brown ale that is nice in the fall.

I am a fan of a good brown ale. Try out some Moose Drool:
8.5 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
12 oz. - Crystal Malt (80L)
4 oz. - Crystal Malt (60L)
4 oz. - Chocolate Malt
0.5 oz. - Black Patent Malt

Hop Schedule (25.5 IBU)
2 oz - East Kent Goldings 4.5%aau (45min)
1 oz - Liberty 4.5%aau (5 min.)
1 oz - Willamette 4.5%aau (5 min.)
1 oz - Liberty 4.5%aau (0 min.)

Great beer though I have found that it seems to take about 2 months for the flavors to come around. Before that it is has been kind of watery and not flavorful but after about the 2 month mark it turns into a completely different beer. Don't know if it is something that I am doing or what (my other beers don't follow this pattern) but in the end it is a great beer.

I vote Pumpkin... Here's mine:

Date 6/13/12
Batch Size 6.000 gal Boil Size 7.500 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 70%
OG 1.057 FG 1.011
ABV 5.9% Bitterness 13.4 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 14.2 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 186
Fermentables

Total grain: 19.000 lb
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 10.000 lb Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Pumpkin Adjunct 6.000 lb Yes No 10% 3.0 srm
Brown Sugar, Dark Sugar 16.000 oz No No 100% 50.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm
Victory Malt Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 73% 25.0 srm
Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Hallertau 4.5% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 11.2
Hallertau 4.5% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 2.2
Misc

Name Type Use Amount Time
Whirlfloc Fining Boil 1.000 tsp 15.000 min
Vanilla Beans Flavor Secondary 0.000 tsp 0.000 s
Pumkin Pie Spice Spice Boil 1.500 tbsp 0.000 s

Yeast

Name Type Form Amount Stage
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Bake pumpkin at 350*F for 45-60 minutes, let cool before adding to mash
Mash at 156F for 60 minutes, include carmelized pumpkin in mash (maybe reserve some for secondary?)
add Brown sugar last 15 minutes of boil
add 1.5 tbs Pumpkin Pie spice at flameout
add vanilla bean to secondary (or to primary after fermentation has slowed (~ 1 week)

My pumpkin was roasted from fresh at halloween then frozen until brew day.
This year I'm gonna try canned pumpkin.

But BierMuncher's OctoberFast is tasty, quick and easy.

I've also made Kaiser's Alt. Zer Gut!

Yooper's Haus Ale is always in my rotation (try it w/ warrior, also good)

Challenger440 said:
4 oz. - Chocolate Malt

Hop Schedule (25.5 IBU)

Great beer though I have found that it seems to take about 2 months for the flavors to come around. Before that it is has been kind of watery and not flavorful but after about the 2 month mark it turns into a completely different beer. Don't know if it is something that I am doing or what (my other beers don't follow this pattern) but in the end it is a great beer.

Moose drool is a great idea! When I make it, I call it New Castle Killer! This will make a great fall beer!!!

BBS has a Crisp Apple Ale I'm going to brew for fall.

I also have 6 gal of cider I put together in May that should be ready by October....so, I'm looking forward to that!

Challenger440 said:
4 oz. - Chocolate Malt

Hop Schedule (25.5 IBU)

That makes me feel a lot better. I just brewed this one and thought the same thing.

I'm going to be brewing up Biermuncher's Octoberfest, as well.

Though I will admit, I typically drink the same beers year round. I buy seasonals because they are only available then, but I see no reason why I can't enjoy something heavy and boozy in the summer, for instance.

I recommend a malty brown ale brewed with rich fruit like raspberries or cherries. Just get creative with it. I created a chocolate raspberry lager (based on an octoberfest, chocolate malt added) that is wonderfully aromatic, malty, and crisp.

My plan for this Fall:
Sept.- Alt, back to back with a Doublealt, then maybe Graf as soon as fresh pressed cider is available.
Oct.- English Brown, backed with a Honey Porter, then I'm thinking of backing to a Scottish 60 or 70
Nov.- As it's starting to get colder, I'll do my lagers- Oktoberfest backed with a Dobblebock.
That's my plan at this point. Plans may change depending.....

In august I'll be brewing my pumpkin ale - however I would like to brew either an amber or a brown ale with a slightly higher abv to keep your spirits warm during those cool fall evenings.

I recommend a malty brown ale brewed with rich fruit like raspberries or cherries. Just get creative with it. I created a chocolate raspberry lager (based on an octoberfest, chocolate malt added) that is wonderfully aromatic, malty, and crisp.

I like this idea a lot because it lets you sort of hang onto good fruit well into the fall. Raspberries come into season right around the time you want to brew something that will sit until fall. (And as I type this, I'm snacking on some really tasty fresh cherries). Cool!

Latest posts

Back