Suggestions for trying my first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valtyr

Reaction score
Hey guys (and gals),

I've been reading a lot about sours lately, and I'm curious about them. I've never tried one. Any suggestions for a good one to try. Preferably something easily available in southern California. Thanks for your input.

Thoughts on any of these?

Allagash Confluence
NB La Folie or La Terroir
RR Consecration, Supplication, or Sanctification
any or the Lost Abbey sours

Since this is a homebrewing forum, maybe you could brew your own?
I made a nice berliner weisse based off of this recipe: http://www.allgrains.net/2013/06/berliner-weisse-full-sour-mash.html
Fast turn around time for a sour. Very tart/refreshing, and just in time for the summer.

I haven't had too many commercial sours, one Kriek I tried was pretty good from Cascade Brewing and Barrel House, but that's in Portland.

I had considered brewing some sours eventually, but I want to make sure it's something that I'll like before dropping dropping the money for dedicated sour equipment.

I'll take a look around and see if I can find anything by Bruery. Thanks for the suggestion.

The ones you mentioned are good choices. Also Rodenbach and Duchesse du Bourgogne shouldn't be too hard to find and are good examples of Flanders sours.

Gueuze Boon is a very affordable example of a good sour blond, Rodenbach Grand Cru is an excellent sour brown. If you want to start towards the top go for 3 Fonteinen or Gueuze Tilquin.

Thank you guys for the responses. I'm looking to test the waters a bit, but it seems like sours are a whole new world of beer. This should at least give me a decent starting place.

Lindemens Kriek is the place to start. Available in lots of places, not crazy expensive and sweet enough you won't swear off trying new things. Sure it's not classic.... but it certainly bridges the gap nicely.

The first time I had a sour beer it was a sanctification at russian river. I was not too fond of it. It was not a "beer" to my taste buds. After a few sours down the road. I was ashamed that I did not enjoy the sanctification. You need to think of a sour as a different type of alcoholic bev. IMO you can not think of your first sour as a beer. You need to be open minded. A sour beer Is a totally different taste to your taste buds. Your taste buds are in for a treat and a sensory overload.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The first time I had a sour beer it was a sanctification at russian river. I was not too fond of it. It was not a "beer" to my taste buds. After a few sours down the road. I was ashamed that I did not enjoy the sanctification. You need to think of a sour as a different type of alcoholic bev. IMO you can not think of your first sour as a beer. You need to be open minded. A sour beer Is a totally different taste to your taste buds. Your taste buds are in for a treat and a sensory overload.

Couldn't have put it better myself. As for the Lindemans recommendation, I'd stay away, I could imagine someone being turned off by them. It's basically soda.

This is really great to information for me. I figure if I sip it slowly, and not expect it to taste like what I'm used to, I should be okay. I try to be open minded when I try new beers, but this is something entirely different. I've read other places that when you first start tasting sours, you shouldn't try more than one or two in a sitting because the flavors are so intense/complex. Good advice?

I've still got a few weeks left of deployment. I'm just trying to get some information so when I finally get home, I can get something that won't destroy my palate.

Please ignore everyone elses suggestions and try any 500ml bottle of Jester King beer. You will be hooked like a fish.

jk... not really...

My favorites are from Jester King but those are not easy to get in California. Within California Russian River and The Bruery both make good ones (Supplication and Sour in the Rye respectively just to name 2). Rodenbach Grand Cru is good and has become pretty easy to find in a lot of the US. Duchesse de Bourgogne is also pretty easy to find in most of the US and may be a good "gateway sour" as it is a bit sweeter than the rest of these which makes it less intimidating if you are not used to sours.

I started with New Belgium's La Folie and absolutely hated it (drain pour). That was a very long time ago though and I am guessing that I would like it at this point (haven't tried since that one time).

I also agree with the poster that said to not think of it as beer (just to keep a very open mind about the flavor).

Thanks, nestler. It sounds like Russian River and The Bruery are probably going to be my best starting points. We'll see if Bevmo has anything else that I recognize.

Where are you finding sanctification in Oceanside? Just missed out on the last release here but my mom and brother still live down there and I'll have them grab me a bottle.

Oude Tart is a good one as well from the Bruery. Rodenbach, Petrus Pale and Monk's cafe are good starting points as well. Almanac is releasing a new sour everymonth now and everyone i've tried has been great, although I've heard from multiple people that the Sourdough release needs some age so I haven't opened that one.

Be wary of what you get a BevMo, as with a lot of beers they may have been on the shelf for a while. I had a bottle of Duchesse from Whole Foods that was turned very acidic and vinegary and would have turned me off of sour beers if it had been my first.

As with any style - don't judge them all by one beer, esp sours since they have a huge range of flavors.

If you make it up to the Bruery you can do flights at the tasting room which would give you a good sampling.

If you want some Jester King beers to be your first taste bud, pm me and we could work something out. I live only 30 minutes away.

^^ This is the key - I always tell people who try a sour for the first time to think of it as "not beer" or think of it as a wine. When they do that, you would be amazed at how many friends I have that drink sours now. Your brain can get in the way!

Where are you finding sanctification in Oceanside? Just missed out on the last release here but my mom and brother still live down there and I'll have them grab me a bottle.

Oude Tart is a good one as well from the Bruery. Rodenbach, Petrus Pale and Monk's cafe are good starting points as well. Almanac is releasing a new sour everymonth now and everyone i've tried has been great, although I've heard from multiple people that the Sourdough release needs some age so I haven't opened that one.

Be wary of what you get a BevMo, as with a lot of beers they may have been on the shelf for a while. I had a bottle of Duchesse from Whole Foods that was turned very acidic and vinegary and would have turned me off of sour beers if it had been my first.

As with any style - don't judge them all by one beer, esp sours since they have a huge range of flavors.

If you make it up to the Bruery you can do flights at the tasting room which would give you a good sampling.

I agree. Petrus Aged Pale Ale is probably one of the cleanest commercial examples of pure sour out there without as much funk. It's a good basic entry level sour. I buy a case of the 750mls at a time from my local and use them to drink alone or even mix them with other beers to try to see what they would be like as a sour version. They should be available where you are as they are nationally distributed. If you can't find the aged pale ale the old brun is also a good choice. But I believe all of petrus' products contain the aged pale blended in them.

I can not say enough good things about the Petrus line.

I agree. Petrus Aged Pale Ale is probably one of the cleanest commercial examples of pure sour out there without as much funk. It's a good basic entry level sour. I buy a case of the 750mls at a time from my local and use them to drink alone or even mix them with other beers to try to see what they would be like as a sour version. They should be available where you are as they are nationally distributed. If you can't find the aged pale ale the old brun is also a good choice. But I believe all of petrus' products contain the aged pale blended in them.

I'd say the bruin is sour roughly 20% of the time. I've had bottles that were good, but then I've had bottles that weren't even remotely sour. I think the pale is a much better offering from them

I appreciate this thread and the recommendations. I've been planning to try my first sour for a while, so after reading the suggestions, I decided that the Petrus Aged Pale sounded like the right one to try first. I had one tonight and really enjoyed it.

These two are next to try:

DSC_0280.jpg

I don't mind Petrus. However, after having tried many other sours in the last year, I have come to find Petrus to aire on the sweet side. Too much so for my liking.

Back