Suggestions for next upgrades

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm looking for suggestions for my Christmas list (my dad likes to start early!). I have a basic 5 gallon AG setup (powerade mash tun, 10 gallon pot, outdoor burner, etc.), a temperature controlled fermentation chamber, two serving kegs, and my latest purchase was on oxygenation kit. Some things I'm considering:
  • Ferm bucket - I need to replace my fermentation buckets. Should I just buy a few more plastic buckets, or is it worth considering upgrading to SS? Probably not ready to do a full temperature controlled conical, but am really interested the brewtech (or equivalent) brew bucket
  • RO system - currently using Bru'n water to adjust my well water, but my water report is a few years old and probably not accurate. Interested in making more pilsners and I know water is critical and my well water is not suitable for pilsners without at least 50% dilution. Should I invest in an RO system, or easier to just buy bottled water?
  • pH meter - Using Bru'n water to adjust pH, but I have no idea if my mash pH is accurate.
  • Temp probe - might be time to bite the bullet on a thermapen

If you had $200-$300 to spend, what do you think is the most worthwhile upgrade? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

John

Thermopen I love mine for all things temp related.

I think I’d to something like Fermonster and more kegs with a spunding valve or 2.

Work toward pressurized transfers.

Just my opinion of course.

RO system, IMO. It's SO nice to know what your baseline water is and what your additions will do.

And yeah, more kegs so you can do pressurized fermentations and CO2 transfers. Less air is better beer.

Thanks, all, for your suggestions. While I don't necessarily need more kegs for storage (not as much brewing going on with 2 kids now), pressurized transfer would be a good thing...I've only done this once on a NEIPA because both kegs happened to be free. Brewing w/ RO water from Walmart this weekend, so we'll see how this Pilsener turns out.

Look up @day_trippr
His fermentation rig will give you a visual of where I’m going.
I'm struggling to find a picture of his setup, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Not seeing votes for a stainless fermenter...not the best investment at this point, do you think?

I've got two of the chapman stainless 14 gallon fermenters that I really like. It was a great upgrade over the buckets for me.

If you decide on an RO system, make sure you budget for a bigger storage tank so that you can draw off all the needed water when you brew, and not have to start the day before or wait forever to get all your water. Remember that you only get around 70% usable space due to the air bladder inside.

I have two of the 7 gallon Chapmans, and also really like them. They’re so damn easy to clean and sanitize, and very handy. I’m thinking of trying to add gas fittings so I can do pressure transfers, but who knows when I’ll actually get around to it.

Just reporting back here. I made a list with new buckets, a pH meter, a thermapen, and a couple of other things on it for my dad. He did a little of his own research and got me the 30L Speidel fermenter, which is pretty cool! I haven't fermented in it yet (just bought the ingredients for a pilsner) but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Might buy myself the pH meter or thermapen.

Is the ball lock post (link above) used mainly for pressurized fermentation? I haven't read about this technique. It seems like the bottom/spigot port on the Speidel would allow for a gravity transfer, although I suppose that a pressure transfer would be better at reducing oxygen exposure. Logdrum, I'm curious how you use this upgrade in your process.

Thanks,
John

Just reporting back here. I made a list with new buckets, a pH meter, a thermapen, and a couple of other things on it for my dad. He did a little of his own research and got me the 30L Speidel fermenter, which is pretty cool! I haven't fermented in it yet (just bought the ingredients for a pilsner) but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Might buy myself the pH meter or thermapen.

Is the ball lock post (link above) used mainly for pressurized fermentation? I haven't read about this technique. It seems like the bottom/spigot port on the Speidel would allow for a gravity transfer, although I suppose that a pressure transfer would be better at reducing oxygen exposure. Logdrum, I'm curious how you use this upgrade in your process.

Thanks,
John

At this point, I start off w/ the ball lock bulkhead in place at the start of fermentation w/ a jumper to a sanitized keg's "out" post & a spunding valve at the "in" post, so the cO2 produced during fermentation scrubs the keg. When I'm ready to transfer, I'll hook up a ball lock w/ a low psi cO2 feed to the bulkhead to replace the volume lost in the transfer (via the spigot) . If you don't fill the vacuum created by the exiting beer, the flow will stop. I used to just switch out the air lock for the bulkhead part way through. If you cold crash, you'll also need some make up gas.

Back