Suggestions for Increasing Brewhouse Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egravy81

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading various posts on HBT for a while now and I find myself in need of some feedback so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I started brewing last summer and completed my first AG brew this January. The first few AG batches were completed in a bucket mash tun that a friend of mine gave me to get my feet wet (more or less literally). I built a MLT out of a 10-gal Rubbermaid water cooler following the DIY projects listed here on HBT and have found my efficiency went up a few points, but I believe I can do a lot better to get a higher OG with my brews without increasing the grain bills to the point where I have to start mail ordering base malts in bulk.

In general I'm completing recipes with about 7-10 lbs of well-modified base malt plus some crystal malt. I completed 3 single infusion mashes (approx 154 degrees F), 3 SMASHes (108, 140, 158 degrees F) and 3 decoction mashes (also following 108, 140, and 158 degrees F). The only time I've cleared OG of 1.044 is with the decoction mashes, but that's a heck of a long brew day and should theoretically be unnecessary when using well-modified base malts.

All nine batches were batch sparged with 170F water as needed to reach a boil volume of 7 gal since I usually lose 1-1.5 gallons during the boil.

I'm using reverse-osmosis filtered water that I buy five-gallons at a time from the grocery store since it only costs $2.50 and I have yet to research the tap water profile here in Denver.

I completed iodine tests for every mash and I hold saccharification temps within a few degrees until the iodine clears.

In general I'm getting an average brewhouse efficiency of:

Single Infusion Mash 60%
Step Mash 65%
Decoction Mash 75%-85%

Following the instructions in How to Brew I'm adding the strike/infusion water with a 2 Qt pitcher so as not to shock the grains (I don't have a Hot Liquor Tank with a ball valve).

Typically i'm stirring the grist every 15 minutes.

Equipment I'm using for my mash:

10 Gal Beverage Cooler MLT (SS braid instead of a false bottom for lautering)
7.5 Gal SS Boil Kettle (stock pot)
Plastic stir paddle
Aluminum stock pot for infusion/sparge water
Dial Thermometer (i broke 2 digital ones before deciding to go analog)

The 6 ales brewed have had 60 minutes boils, 90 minutes for the 3 lagers. I boil it on about as high heat as possible without boil over on a propane burner from my turkey fryer setup depending on the outdoor temp.

For strike water temps, additional water infusions (step mash) and decoction volumes I'm using the equations from Palmer's How to Brew.

The only time I seem to hit the projected OG from a recipe I build in BeerSmith or Brew Buddy is via decoction mashing. I've been disappointed to go through all the work then only end up with a low OG (1.038-1.042), particularly when a recipe calls for 10 lbs + of base malt. I suspect that brew water profile/possible water treatment and perhaps to a lesser extent the pH levels of the mash may be contributing to the low efficiency, but because I have not researched these factors yet I have no idea.

The factor that may not have anything to do with efficiency but will definitely help in boiling harder would be a larger boil kettle since until some of wort evaporates I only have a half-gallon of headspace to prevent boil over.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions as to what I can do to improve brewhouse efficiency? I tried to provide as much detail about my processes so far just in case any of you see an obvious flaw.

Thanks!:mug:

How are you crushing the grain?

Process seems fine. Recommend taking a first running gravity to test your mash efficiency. Then take a pre-boil gravity to test your lauter efficiency. Makes it easier to diagnose efficiency problems.

The factor that may not have anything to do with efficiency but will definitely help in boiling harder would be a larger boil kettle since until some of wort evaporates I only have a half-gallon of headspace to prevent boil over.

No effect on efficiency (unless it boils over, then you lose sugars). Boiloff rate would affect final gravity though (boiloff more = less volume, but higher gravity)

Just reading your process, it seems every thing is solid there. I would tend to believe that it is the crush of your grain that is causing your efficiency deficiency. If you mail order your grain ask if they can double crush or ask your HBS to do it.
Aslo just something to think about with your boil. There is no need to crank it up all the way. Get a good roll going and back it off a bit that way you wont boil off so much and you reduce the chance of over sparging.

Can't the LHBS catch a break from the "grain crush crisis" ;) No but seriously, I was getting 75% dead on for the longest time 20 min batch sparging. Then I converted to 45 min fly sparging and stirring the mash 2x in between. My efficiency's went through the roof ( >93% ) so long as I keep my grain bill below 15 lbs. As soon as I hit 15 lb's or over, I see a huge drop down to 77%-81% efficiency. Also rice hulls are a bonus when playing with minute rice or grits. Don't get irritated, look at your mash tun or lauter tun, and really look at the fluid dynamics. Do you have "sweet spots" in the mash after your done sparging? I know when I first started there was a little area that would always be sweet in the mash after I sparged. ensure you really get a good stir. sometimes it may be that you need to upgrade or re-engineer your lautering system...it could be a number of things. decocting always gets me a few bonus points as well, but i normally decoct all my beers because I use Pilsner, Vienna, and Munich malts a lot.

How are you crushing the grain?

I'm using the mills at my LHBS - it seems that they have the plates set pretty well because the hulls are separated from the kernels but it's well short of flour. They recently even upgraded the motors on their two mills so I think it's something they watch closely.

All I can tell for sure is that their mills do a much better job than I do using freezer bags and a rolling pin!

Can't the LHBS catch a break from the "grain crush crisis" ;) No but seriously, I was getting 75% dead on for the longest time 20 min batch sparging. Then I converted to 45 min fly sparging and stirring the mash 2x in between. My efficiency's went through the roof ( >93% ) so long as I keep my grain bill below 15 lbs. As soon as I hit 15 lb's or over, I see a huge drop down to 77%-81% efficiency. Also rice hulls are a bonus when playing with minute rice or grits. Don't get irritated, look at your mash tun or lauter tun, and really look at the fluid dynamics. Do you have "sweet spots" in the mash after your done sparging? I know when I first started there was a little area that would always be sweet in the mash after I sparged. ensure you really get a good stir. sometimes it may be that you need to upgrade or re-engineer your lautering system...it could be a number of things. decocting always gets me a few bonus points as well, but i normally decoct all my beers because I use Pilsner, Vienna, and Munich malts a lot.

Ok, this makes a lot of sense. If dropping a few bucks on a fly sparge, a ball valve for the stock pot i've been using as a hot liquor tank and some high temp tubing ups the efficiency significantly i'd be psyched.

When you put the recipe into Beersmith what is the expected OG, and at what expected efficiency? Raising efficiency for me came only after I fully understand my equipment and possible problems with it. Once I started using Beersmith and started to troubleshoot my efficiency, I was able to get up to 75% regularly. I have a feeling that once I get my oen grain mill, I will be able to achieve 80%+ efficiency. It's all about knowing your equipment and working it out from there.

Aslo just something to think about with your boil. There is no need to crank it up all the way. Get a good roll going and back it off a bit that way you wont boil off so much and you reduce the chance of over sparging.

Thanks! I think I started to over sparge because the first few batches of full boil resulted in 4-4.5 gallons which after break material, spent yeast, etc resulted in 3.5-4 gallons of finished product. It tasted great but didn't last long in the keg!

When you put the recipe into Beersmith what is the expected OG, and at what expected efficiency? Raising efficiency for me came only after I fully understand my equipment and possible problems with it. Once I started using Beersmith and started to troubleshoot my efficiency, I was able to get up to 75% regularly. I have a feeling that once I get my oen grain mill, I will be able to achieve 80%+ efficiency. It's all about knowing your equipment and working it out from there.

I've been using 75% efficiency in Beersmith since that seems to be the default value.

In regards to the expected OG, it is not uncommon for me to miss it by 1.010 (with the exception of the decoction mashes). For example, KingBrianI's Caramel Amber Ale was supposed to be about 1.050 and I only hit 1.040 (even with one pound of candi syrup). An IPA I brewed was supposed to be 1.054 and I hit 1.042..

If you are using RO water - are you adding anything to it? Have you checked your mash pH?

Adjust your recipes to match your efficiency in the mean time.

I've been using 75% efficiency in Beersmith since that seems to be the default value.

In regards to the expected OG, it is not uncommon for me to miss it by 1.010 (with the exception of the decoction mashes). For example, KingBrianI's Caramel Amber Ale was supposed to be about 1.050 and I only hit 1.040 (even with one pound of candi syrup). An IPA I brewed was supposed to be 1.054 and I hit 1.042..

If you are missing by .010 then adjust the efficiency parameter in Beersmith until it shows the 1.040 versus the 1.050

Then use that efficiency as your "default" for a couple brews when you write the recipe. If you start hitting the expected OG regularly with the newly adjusted grain bills, then you know what your brewhouse efficiency is with your current procedures. Like I said before, once I did these things, I could start to troubleshoot my eff loss. For example: poor grain crush, I was getting channeling due to my bazooka screen so I switched to a batch sparge...it's all about knowing your setup and making it work for you.

If you are missing by .010 then adjust the efficiency parameter in Beersmith until it shows the 1.040 versus the 1.050

Then use that efficiency as your "default" for a couple brews when you write the recipe. If you start hitting the expected OG regularly with the newly adjusted grain bills, then you know what your brewhouse efficiency is with your current procedures. Like I said before, once I did these things, I could start to troubleshoot my eff loss. For example: poor grain crush, I was getting channeling due to my bazooka screen so I switched to a batch sparge...it's all about knowing your setup and making it work for you.

I appreciate the help, thanks! I plan to brew again this weekend, so I'll adjust efficiency to match the OG and then use that figure and see what happens from there.

I appreciate the help, thanks! I plan to brew again this weekend, so I'll adjust efficiency to match the OG and then use that figure and see what happens from there.

I understand where you are coming from. I fought for months and blamed everything but I finally realized that it is what it is. You have to start from square one sometimes to figure out your issues.

Back