Suggestions for double fermentation of HUGE beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

failbeams

Reaction score
So have been talking with the Firestone Walker guys about their wild ales they have been experimenting with, and it got me thinking/drinking, which eventually ended with me coming up with a ridiculous recipe for a RIS/Barley Wine hybrid. I attached the recipe below, any critiques are welcome. Beyond the recipe, my thought was to do a 2 double fermentation with wlp002 first and then 099 to finish it off. From what I have read, it looks like the wlp002 may start acting a little funny over 10-12% or so, and probably will over produce esters. Anyone have more insight or experience? Thanks

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 6.36.41 PM.jpg

i'm thinking you're going optimistic hoping for 75% efficiency at that o.g. 60-65 is more likely ( or even less )

Yeast
If you are a little skittish about WLP002's alcohol tolerance, you could try WLP004 Irish ale, WLP007 Dry English, WLP037 Yorkshire Squares, or WLP038 Manchester.

Hops
The opinions on the dependence of hop utilization on OG are divided. You might hope for your 75%, but prepare to dry hop after tasting.

Ok so I dropped my efficiency down to 70%, giving an OG of 1.155 and FG of 1.031. Also, planning on dry hopping with 2-3 oz of cascade depending on how it tastes after 3-4 weeks. Does anyone have experience with WLP004 Irish ale, WLP007 Dry English, WLP037 Yorkshire Squares, or WLP038 Manchester in super high gravity beer? I've only used WLP007, and I didn't get great attenuation from it (68% fermented at 70 degrees).

Ok so I dropped my efficiency down to 70%, giving an OG of 1.155 and FG of 1.031. Also, planning on dry hopping with 2-3 oz of cascade depending on how it tastes after 3-4 weeks. Does anyone have experience with WLP004 Irish ale, WLP007 Dry English, WLP037 Yorkshire Squares, or WLP038 Manchester in super high gravity beer? I've only used WLP007, and I didn't get great attenuation from it (68% fermented at 70 degrees).

From my experience the wyeast version, WY1084, is a beast. Fermented my 1.092 wort down to 1.025 in a week. Very impressive if you ask me. I would guess that WLP004 would be similar but can't make any promises. ;)

Back