suggestions for cleaning/sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeerman

Reaction score
I was introduced to homebrewing and have been using sodium metabisulfite and citric acid as directed (let's call is smca for the purpose of this post). It is rather harsh and I work out of my kitchen with a family kicking about in the background. The harshness of the smca just isn't practical for the asthma and kids i have in my busy home....what product do you swear by that works just as well if not better?

Some side notes and further explanation:
My cleaning process before and after brewing always starts with soap and water I then move to smca mix and rinse it out. As noted above it's just too harsh so I made a cheap $1.25 bag purchase of aseptox, which I've used up already and upon further research I've read that it is not as good as other products. Mainly it's a good cleaner but not sanitizer. So with this post I'm looking for the jack of all trades product. Something you have used multiple times and swear by.

Thanks for the awesome forum you guys have here. It's got a lot of quality info and I know I can find the answer if I do some searching but I do enjoy the process of starting threads and discussions.

I've been Home brewing for over 10 years, easily brew 5-15 gal a month. I use an oxygen based cleaner L.D Carlson Easy Clean for everything.
It is no rinse, and does not leave a residue like soap does, not really harsh though says not to get it on your hands I have not had a problem.
It is not really a sanitizer, but I use it as both cleaner and sanitizer and never had an infected batch. when I use it as a "sanitizer" I try to get a good 5 min contact time though I have used it as a 30 sec rinse and did not have any issues.
Others can chime in on using Star-San, which is a sanitizer.

First off, cleaning and sanitizing are 2 different processes.
Second, you can't sanitize something that isn't clean in the first place. I.E. you can't sanitize dirt.

Cleaning:
PBW is the 'recommended' brewery cleaner of choice.
But it's expensive as heck if bought in the brew store, like $8-12 a pound, depending on size. Look for posts on homemade PBW. The simply 70% Oxiclean 'free' (no fragrance) + 30% TSP/90, yields a powder almost the same as PBW, and works just the same.

I use a lot of common washing soda (~$1.00-1.50 a pound in 3-4 pound boxes in the supermarket, Walmart etc.), for routine cleaning when I don't need the extra umph of PBW.

Oxiclean 'free' used by itself is similar to washing soda, but adds oxygen to the mix that kills organic deposits. After the oxygen dissipates (20-60 minutes) the leftover is a solution of... washing soda!

Sanitation:
Starsan or Iodophor (or IO-Star).
I recommend Starsan for it's easy of use and long active life. But I also use Iodophor from time to time to kill the other half of the spectrum.

A gallon of Starsan working solution lasts a long time, like months if you keep it clean. A 32 oz bottle of concentrate lasted me 7 years. I brew a lot, relatively.

Rinse => wash/brush/mop with cleaner => rinse => dunk, spray, or mop with Starsan (or Iodophor) => wait 30-60 secs to let it do its work. Surfaces remain sanitized as long as they remain wet with it. The product is truly no rinse.

First off, cleaning and sanitizing are 2 different processes.
Second, you can't sanitize something that isn't clean in the first place. I.E. you can't sanitize dirt.

Cleaning:
PBW is the 'recommended' brewery cleaner of choice.
But it's expensive as heck if bought in the brew store, like $8-12 a pound, depending on size. Look for posts on homemade PBW. The simply 70% Oxiclean 'free' (no fragrance) + 30% TSP/90, yields a powder almost the same as PBW, and works just the same.

I use a lot of common washing soda (~$1.00-1.50 a pound in 3-4 pound boxes in the supermarket, Walmart etc.), for routine cleaning when I don't need the extra umph of PBW.

Oxiclean 'free' used by itself is similar to washing soda, but adds oxygen to the mix that kills organic deposits. After the oxygen dissipates (20-60 minutes) the leftover is a solution of... washing soda!

Sanization:
Starsan or Iodophor (or IO-Star).
I recommend Starsan for it's easy of use and long active life. But I also use Iodophor from time to time to kill the other half of the spectrum.

A gallon of Starsan working solution lasts a long time, like months if you keep it clean. A 32 oz bottle of concentrate lasted me 7 years. I brew a lot, relatively.

Rinse => wash/brush/mop with cleaner => rinse => dunk, spray, or mop with Starsan (or Iodophor) => wait 30-60 secs to let it do its work. Surfaces remain sanitized as long as they remain wet with it. The product is truly no rinse.
+1 all this!

Diluted Star San is very safe and effective for sanitizing.

I use Craftmeister Oxygen Brewery Wash to clean and Iodophor to sanitize. I recently learned that the cleaner must be completely removed from the equipment prior to using Iodophor as the alkaline can neutralize the iodine rendering it useless.

Check out this podcast from Beersmith
http://beersmith.com/blog/2019/02/1...tion-with-rick-theiner-beersmith-podcast-187/
Topics in This Week’s Episode (47:41)
  • Today my guest is Rick Theiner. Rick is the President of Logic, Inc, makers of the Eco-logic line of cleaning and sanitation products including One-step, Straight-A and San-Step.
  • Rick explains the difference between cleaning and sanitation and why they are separate steps using different chemicals. He also explains the more stringent disinfecting and sterilizing terms.
  • We discuss the cleaning process which removes dirt and biofilms and how the material/surface being cleaned makes a big difference.
  • Rick tells us why the soil/biofilm types also matter and it often takes a different combination of chemicals and action to remove them all.
  • We discuss the four basic elements of cleaning: Time, temperature, mechanical action and chemical action.
  • Rick also explains the many different phsio-chemical reactions going on when we clean a surface.
  • We talk about sanitizing agents and why they are different from cleaning agents.
  • Rick provides his basic rules for cleaning for home brewers.
  • Rick tells us why household cleaners may not be a great substitute for cleaners and sanitizers designed for home brewing.
  • He walks us through the products his company offers including Straight-A, One-Step and San-Step NS and how each are best used.

Latest posts

Back